DIY post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

banishfear

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm a nontrad who graduated in 2016. My cpga is 3.3 but my science gpa is only 2.9 after not doing well in biochem twice. I plan on retaking at a university to hopefully get an A. I do have a non-science masters with a 3.5 gpa. I dont know if medical schools will care since it is a non-science. Right now, i can't afford to take upper level science courses at a 4 year university as I am the primary caregiver for my mom and finances are tight right now. My only option is community college but I'm not sure what classes to take to raise my science GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

You could take any science courses at a community college that you have not taken previously. Take enough science courses to raise your sGPA to 3.0 .

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I just looked at a catalog, and, assuming you finished your prereqs, the only courses you could take are Anatomy, Physiology, and Microbiology. (Stuff like animal bio and conservation bio aren't relevant to the MCAT or medicine, but can increase your GPA). Some med schools have a minimum credit requirement to consider postbac GPA. Anywhere from 15-25.

Reactions: 1 user
Be careful that the schools you are interested take 2-year college credits before going that route, not all do. They state clearly that it must be taken from a four-year institution.