DIY Post-Bacc...now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkosp2451

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I did a DIY post-bacc at a local 4-year college near my house. I came out of my undergrad with a 2.5 cGPA, and a 2.1 sGPA. I have now been doing the post-bacc for 1.5 years (Fall, Spring and now), and have gotten a 3.9, 4.0 and hopefully another 3.95+ this semester. Retook all my sciences, and took some random psych, stats, sociology courses as well. This spring I am planning on simply studying for MCATs, and getting together my research experience, ECs, LORs, etc.

With this being said, I still feel as if my undergrad GPA is still a HUGE blemish on my application, despite doing well in my post-bacc. I don't even know if I would get accepted into any DO schools if I were to apply. My EC's are pretty solid and can use a tiny bit more.

What should my next step be? Should I try applying for SMPs, possibly do another 1-2 years before applying to DO schools? I feel like even if I do get a good MCAT score, I still have no shot because my extremely low undergrad GPA is overshadowing everything else.

Members don't see this ad.

Your situation is entirely common, and so far you're doing all the right things. That MCAT score is going to be everything.

My recommendation is to spend about 10 hours reading the low GPA thread in this forum. If that gets boring, search SDN for "low GPA". Tons of stories from those who've gone before.

Best of luck to you.

I could be wrong here, and someone will certainly correct me if I am but....

For DO schools, there is the possibility of grade replacement for courses retaken. On your application you will have to list your original grades but any courses you have retaken also get listed. While all of the grades will be SHOWN on the application, only the retaken grades will get factored into the GPA calculation. Again, not entirely positive on this but that's my best understanding. Hopefully this helps you out a bit.

SS

Members don't see this ad :)
That's correct for DO schools. Only the most recent grade counts for a repeated course.

I would expect that with a strong MCAT and a recent 3.9 performance, that there's a reasonable chance at MD here, but it could take an SMP and extra gap years.

Thank you both so much! I really appreciate it :)