DIY post-bacc UCF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qualdy

UCF Bio Man
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be beginning my post-bacc science requirements in the fall at the University of Central Florida (I have a BA in political science from there). I went today for an advisement appointment and I am currently admitted as a second-bacc student in the Microbiology department. I am trying to raise my GPA (alot) and also satisfy the Science Requirements for medical school.

The problem I have ran into is that as a previous political science major, I do NOT even have the basic pre-reqs for upper level bio/chem courses. I am currently registered for bio I and chem I , but I know I need a full-time load of courses to show im competitive. I am not sure what else to take? My advisor gave me a list of "electives" i could take now and they would help raise my gpa and give me full-time status. Is this a good idea? I dont really like the idea of taking any courses that are not upper level science courses. These "electives" she is recommending are basically easy "a" courses (junior/senior level) in psychology and/or health. Some of these "electives" are also web-based and I hear that taking web-based courses would also look bad. Granted taking them will improve my undergraduate GPA, but do you think medical schools will frown on this? If I do NOT take them, what else should I do, since I dont yet meet the pre-reqs for all other upper level science courses?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey There....Well I can tell you that I grad. from UCF in 1999 w/ a 3.2 overall and a 2.5 BCPM and have since pulled that up to a 3.7 and 3.5 with Post Bac work, although a lot of that was for EMT and Paramedic which was like 60 straight hours of straight A's.

I also re-took all my science pre-req's and got a's. If your applying DO like I am, when you re-take a class they ignore the first one for GPA calcs.

Yes I would mix in a lot of easy classes. I know a pop. one at UCF was Sexual Behaviors, Philosophy (everybody got an A no matter what) and some other health related classes.

Good luck to you and hit me back with any other questions. I'm no expert but i just submitted my app after almost 10 years post baccalaureate.

-cya.

Hey There....Well I can tell you that I grad. from UCF in 1999 w/ a 3.2 overall and a 2.5 BCPM and have since pulled that up to a 3.7 and 3.5 with Post Bac work, although a lot of that was for EMT and Paramedic which was like 60 straight hours of straight A's.

I also re-took all my science pre-req's and got a's. If your applying DO like I am, when you re-take a class they ignore the first one for GPA calcs.

Yes I would mix in a lot of easy classes. I know a pop. one at UCF was Sexual Behaviors, Philosophy (everybody got an A no matter what) and some other health related classes.

Good luck to you and hit me back with any other questions. I'm no expert but i just submitted my app after almost 10 years post baccalaureate.

-cya.

Thank you so much.... this was very helpful. Good LUCK :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was enrolled at UCF for post bacc a couple of years ago and was in the dept of Micro/Molec Bio. I think that mixing in some of the other classes that aren't upper level science is potentially a good idea for GPA and for generally just easing your way into the heavier stuff. It's certainly worth doing if you're not in a hurry to take everything and you want to fill your schedule until you've taken enough basic science to be able to take the upper level stuff. I honestly wish that I could've stayed at UCF but I was absolutely MISERABLE in Orlando, so I'm back in Seattle finishing pre reqs/upper level science. At any rate good luck to you. Make sure that you make an appt. with Dr. Lopez at some point soon (pre med advisor) as he is gonna be a very good resource of info for you as you get closer to your goal. He is usually pretty busy though and his schedule (at least when I was there in '06/'07) tends to get booked quickly. Also hit me up if you have any questions. I may not know the answer but I'll try. Peace.

I was enrolled at UCF for post bacc a couple of years ago and was in the dept of Micro/Molec Bio. I think that mixing in some of the other classes that aren't upper level science is potentially a good idea for GPA and for generally just easing your way into the heavier stuff. It's certainly worth doing if you're not in a hurry to take everything and you want to fill your schedule until you've taken enough basic science to be able to take the upper level stuff. I honestly wish that I could've stayed at UCF but I was absolutely MISERABLE in Orlando, so I'm back in Seattle finishing pre reqs/upper level science. At any rate good luck to you. Make sure that you make an appt. with Dr. Lopez at some point soon (pre med advisor) as he is gonna be a very good resource of info for you as you get closer to your goal. He is usually pretty busy though and his schedule (at least when I was there in '06/'07) tends to get booked quickly. Also hit me up if you have any questions. I may not know the answer but I'll try. Peace.

Ha I know all about wanting out of Orlando :) But I do really like UCF. Thanks for your information and I am also currently in micro/molec. I had my advisement last week but not with Dr. Lopez yet, but i have already been informed of how helpful he is. Ill do that as soon as possilbe. Thanks Again

Hey guys, I just got my degree in Chemistry from UF but I am also considering doing a post-bac to raise my GPA. I was looking to apply to UCF for it, since it's in my home town. Are there any specific 1 year post-bac programs that UCF offers or is it all pretty much DIY? Also, if I want to apply for post-bac admission, do I just have to tell them that my goal is to improve my application for medical school?

Yay for UCF! I just finished 2 years of post-bac work there in May and applied to MD programs this cycle. I would take electives you're interested in. You're just as likely to get good grades in those classes as in easy "A" classes, except they're actually interesting. Maybe some more upper level poli-sci classes? I took a few upper level cognitive science courses in the philosophy department that were awesome. I'd also try to take microbio next semester (before bio 2) as that opens up a lot of electives in the M&M department (just be careful, Dr White's a killer if you don't study). If you have any other specific questions feel free to ask, I took a ton a classes while I was there and can guide you towards or away from certain ones if you want.

Hey guys, I just got my degree in Chemistry from UF but I am also considering doing a post-bac to raise my GPA. I was looking to apply to UCF for it, since it's in my home town. Are there any specific 1 year post-bac programs that UCF offers or is it all pretty much DIY? Also, if I want to apply for post-bac admission, do I just have to tell them that my goal is to improve my application for medical school?

I don't know if they have specific post-bac programs but you can apply as 2nd degree seeking status. With so many credits you jump to the front of the registration line and get the pick of the litter for classes and they offer a wide variety of relevant pre-med-y classes.

Yay for UCF! I just finished 2 years of post-bac work there in May and applied to MD programs this cycle. I would take electives you're interested in. You're just as likely to get good grades in those classes as in easy "A" classes, except they're actually interesting. Maybe some more upper level poli-sci classes? I took a few upper level cognitive science courses in the philosophy department that were awesome. I'd also try to take microbio next semester (before bio 2) as that opens up a lot of electives in the M&M department (just be careful, Dr White's a killer if you don't study). If you have any other specific questions feel free to ask, I took a ton a classes while I was there and can guide you towards or away from certain ones if you want.

I totally agree, Dr. White's Micro class will crush your soul if you don't study and will also crush you if you do study but aren't detailed. That said, I'm glad that I took her class as it was a very good way to throw me back into the swing of studying hardcore after being out of school for a few years. I do miss UCF but I just couldn't spend another day in Orlando (long story)! Good luck to you this cycle :)

I am just finishing up my post-bacc work at UCF. I started in Aug. 2008, and this is my last semester. I applied to the school as a 2nd degree student in Biology. This is the best way to do it, because that way you are assigned an academic advisor, and you are also able to use the prehealth advisement office (HUGELY helpful). If you have specific questions about courses to take or anything like that, feel free to ask! :)

I am just finishing up my post-bacc work at UCF. I started in Aug. 2008, and this is my last semester. I applied to the school as a 2nd degree student in Biology. This is the best way to do it, because that way you are assigned an academic advisor, and you are also able to use the prehealth advisement office (HUGELY helpful). If you have specific questions about courses to take or anything like that, feel free to ask! :)

i am planning on applying to ucf to do a second bachelor's degree for next fall.....can you give me any and all information regarding it???? i need all the help i can get! thank you in advance!

You'll are scaring me what is wrong with Orlando? I am moving there to go to med school in 2010.

i am planning on applying to ucf to do a second bachelor's degree for next fall.....can you give me any and all information regarding it???? i need all the help i can get! thank you in advance!

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

You'll are scaring me what is wrong with Orlando? I am moving there to go to med school in 2010.

There's nothing wrong with Orlando, it's what you make of it. I'd move back there from Miami in a heartbeat.

There's nothing wrong with Orlando, it's what you make of it.

Yeah i guess I can agree with this. Though I'm transferring to FSU next week and I couldn't be more excited to get out of this town. It's just a very dull town as far as college life goes, IMO

UCF has a great Pre-Health Professions Advisement Office. Dr Lopez and Suzy are both excellent sources of information. Anyone going to UCF should go talk with them if they are even a little bit interested about medical school. It takes a couple of weeks to get an appointment with Dr Lopez, but Suzy is great! Check out their website http://www.biomed.ucf.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50&Itemid=77 or stop by HPA1 Room 124!

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

There's nothing wrong with Orlando, it's what you make of it. I'd move back there from Miami in a heartbeat.

I was wondering how long did it take you to complete the program, does it raise your overall undergrad gpa (i graduate in the spring from uf) and did you have to take any gen ed classes? i just really want to know how the the program is overall......thanks for any help you can give!

did you apply to UCF COM, don't they favor their own alum

UCF has a great Pre-Health Professions Advisement Office. Dr Lopez and Suzy are both excellent sources of information. Anyone going to UCF should go talk with them if they are even a little bit interested about medical school. It takes a couple of weeks to get an appointment with Dr Lopez, but Suzy is great! Check out their website http://www.biomed.ucf.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50&Itemid=77 or stop by HPA1 Room 124!

I was wondering how long did it take you to complete the program, does it raise your overall undergrad gpa (i graduate in the spring from uf) and did you have to take any gen ed classes? i just really want to know how the the program is overall......thanks for any help you can give!

I spent 2 continuous years there, but I also took the complete pre-req cycle in addition to the M&M requirements. As long as you're pursuing a bachelor's all the classes will count as undergrad, which definitely helped my application. If you already have a degree you don't have to take any additional gen-ed classes (I think ever, for that matter). All in all I think the M&M program was great (I'd say it's definitely better than UF's psych program but that may be comparing apples and oranges). They definitely have some class size issues but that's to be expected with a >40k school. The abundance of clinically relevant and interesting courses more than makes up for it, IMO. And definitely get in touch with Dr Lopez. I didn't use the office for my application but they still helped a lot throughout the process.

Yeah i guess I can agree with this. Though I'm transferring to FSU next week and I couldn't be more excited to get out of this town. It's just a very dull town as far as college life goes, IMO

It's slightly ironic you mention a dull town and then excitement over moving to Tally in the same post, but to each their own. As a non-trad, I generally eschewed all things "college life" anyway and was interested in a slightly different crowd. If you get away from the UCF/alafaya area there are plenty of options like college park or winter park with a glorious dearth of beer pong and nickel beer nights. But, again, different strokes. There are a ton of people who really don't like the town, but an equal amount that try to carve out unique niches in the shadow of the mouse.

I'm another who did post-bacc at UCF in the M&M department after graduating with a degree in Computer Science. I actually ended up finishing the M&M degree with Honors in the Major. I loved UCF! The PHPAO was not very useful for pre-veterinary students though, in my opinion.