DIY postbac course load help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanavucuvudu

Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I’m starting my DIY postbac at Harvard Extension School in a week. I am a non-US citizen, non-trad with a non-US undergrad and a US-masters degree. I am a researcher in psychology, and I have recently decided to pursue my lifelong dream of becoming a physician. I am hoping to apply in 2022, or more realistically in 2023. At HES, I am enrolled in the following classes for Fall 2020:
  • Bio 1 cellular and molecular mechanisms (with lab)
  • Gen chem 1
  • Gen chem lab
  • Physics 1
  • Physics lab

I also am volunteering at 3 different labs, writing a manuscript, applying to jobs, applying to PhDs and Masters as plan B (all will be completed during Fall 2020 as well). I will most likely be shadowing a physician and volunteer as well. So my first question is, given all this, do you think my course load would be too much? Should I drop one of them? If yes, which one I should drop?

Additionally, if I do drop a course, I am thinking I will drop physics, for the following reasons:
1) All classes at HES except physics 1 are live online, while physics 1 lecture is on demand (lab is live). We’re one week away from the beginning of the classes but the course has no designated person for anything, has only the syllabus on Canvas and the classes are recorded from last year. Not having an advanced math or any physics background at all, I know I will be needing a lot of support, and I am a little worried that there still not information about TAs, office hours or review sessions at all.
2) I know among all three classes, physics will be the most challenging one for me, so if I have the chance, I really prefer taking it in person because I will be that student who goes to all reviews and office hours, and I am currently 7 hours ahead of Eastern Time, which will make doing this extra challenging for me.
3) On demand course format is the type of class format that I know will work the worst for me, I function better when there is external pressure, deadlines and structure.

Therefore, my second question is, will dropping physics and taking it later on have a major negative impact on my plans, profile or application? I am not planning on taking any advanced physics classes, but I am planning on taking advanced bio and maybe chem classes for next year.

Members don't see this ad.