DIY Postbacc Options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xvndr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I received my third rejection from an SMP today and am now considering the DIY route. I have a 2.72 cGPA and 498 MCAT and planned to take two semesters of upper-level bio classes at my alma mater which should bring me up to a 2.86 or so. I then planned on reapplying to the SMPs I got rejected from (plus others) so that I don't get screened out and killing it from there.

I'm also considering finding a big university (anywhere, really, get me away from here) and taking maybe 2 years of upper level bio's to raise my GPA to a 3.0 and then just apply to MD/DO from there, avoiding an SMP altogether. I went to a relatively small university, and don't think I could find enough classes there to bring me up to a 3.0. So although it would cost more being OOS, at least I could find a university with more upper-level bio's and spend what i would spend (or less) on an SMP anyway.

Any opinions? Sorry if this post is poorly-worded - I'm pretty stuck/confused right now.

Members don't see this ad.

There are many SMPs that will accept those scores. Go out and apply to more

There are many SMPs that will accept those scores. Go out and apply to more
That will accept a 2.72 and 498? I've been rejected from EVMS 1 & 2 year programs, Midwestern-IL and Midwestern AZ, and just got a rejection from Temple ACHS today after interviewing last week. (So I guess that makes 5 rejections, technically).

I applied to PCOM, NSU, and LECOM and haven't heard a word yet. I'm scared to apply to programs that aren't reputable/don't have linkages because I don't want to drop $30k+ for a poor program. Are there any that you'd recommend, even this late in the cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
That will accept a 2.72 and 498? I've been rejected from EVMS 1 & 2 year programs, Midwestern-IL and Midwestern AZ, and just got a rejection from Temple ACHS today after interviewing last week. (So I guess that makes 5 rejections, technically).

I applied to PCOM, NSU, and LECOM and haven't heard a word yet. I'm scared to apply to programs that aren't reputable/don't have linkages because I don't want to drop $30k+ for a poor program. Are there any that you'd recommend, even this late in the cycle?

You won't get into any 1 year programs. You will have to shoot for a 2-year program.
You won't get an acceptance to medical school based on the program's reputation. It'll come down to your masters GPA and your MCAT. There's a bunch of programs still taking applications.
You can go anywhere. You just have to do well that's it. The school with linkages, you won't have a shot because the pre-med students with 3.3s who didn't get in will choose to go to such programs.

Hello all!

I received my third rejection from an SMP today and am now considering the DIY route. I have a 2.72 cGPA and 498 MCAT and planned to take two semesters of upper-level bio classes at my alma mater which should bring me up to a 2.86 or so. I then planned on reapplying to the SMPs I got rejected from (plus others) so that I don't get screened out and killing it from there.

I'm also considering finding a big university (anywhere, really, get me away from here) and taking maybe 2 years of upper level bio's to raise my GPA to a 3.0 and then just apply to MD/DO from there, avoiding an SMP altogether. I went to a relatively small university, and don't think I could find enough classes there to bring me up to a 3.0. So although it would cost more being OOS, at least I could find a university with more upper-level bio's and spend what i would spend (or less) on an SMP anyway.

Any opinions? Sorry if this post is poorly-worded - I'm pretty stuck/confused right now.

I think this might be a blessing in disguise. Right now you have two red flags a sub 3.0 GPA and a sub 500 MCAT score. I think SMPs are geared towards people who have a strong MCAT score, but a weak GPA due to previous academic flaws. If I were you I would take additional upper division classes at a state/local university or even community college. I would also use dedicated time and study for the MCAT (2-3 months) and aim for 505+ (DO) or 511+ (MD).

Reactions: 1 users
A SMP would be a tremendous waste of money. Your MCAT is not competitive for most DO schools, let alone MD schools. You need to raise your GPA above a 3.0 without grade replacement and your MCAT above 510 before you even think about a SMP. There is no point in doing a SMP if you just want to apply to DO schools. Cheaper to do a post-bacc and study a lot for the MCAT.

A SMP would be a tremendous waste of money. Your MCAT is not competitive for most DO schools, let alone MD schools. You need to raise your GPA above a 3.0 without grade replacement and your MCAT above 510 before you even think about a SMP. There is no point in doing a SMP if you just want to apply to DO schools. Cheaper to do a post-bacc and study a lot for the MCAT.
So for my stats, you'd recommend I do 1-2 years of post-bacc work and apply DO? Skip the SMP entirely? What if my cGPA is still <3.0 but my post-bacc work is all 3.8+ or so, would I still need an SMP or would I be good for DO? This is all assuming I retake the MCAT and score 505+, at least, of course.

So for my stats, you'd recommend I do 1-2 years of post-bacc work and apply DO? Skip the SMP entirely? What if my cGPA is still <3.0 but my post-bacc work is all 3.8+ or so, would I still need an SMP or would I be good for DO? This is all assuming I retake the MCAT and score 505+, at least, of course.
I honestly don't know that much about low GPA admission for DO since that is not a route I have considered. I just know that a SMP will be a waste of money with that MCAT. You might want to post in Goro's thread about reinventing yourself. I think he is a DO ADCOM.

Agree with the blessing in disguise statement. First, you need to fix whatever caused your GPA to be that low and your poor MCAT. Ask yourself "why am I not performing as well as I would like?"

Before jumping into a rigorous SMP, start by taking upper level coursework at a CC or your Alma Mater and see if you can do well (3.7+, ideally 4.0). This is how I would structure your next 3 years.

Year 1: DIY Post Bacc (3 classes first semester to perfect study habits, 5 classes second semester)
If you do well in Year 1, then Summer after Year 1 you should start studying for the MCAT again. If your practice scores reflect the score you wish to achieve, then take it in August before your SMP starts. If not, take it after the SMP. Don't rush it, because it will be tough having 2 poor scores on your record.
Year 2 : 1 year SMP for either MD ( EVMS, VCU, Boston, Tulane, Drexel, Georgetown, Cincinnati) or DO (VCOM, LMU-DCOM, PCOM, Midwestern)
If you do well in Year 2 SMP, then apply following your SMP
Year 3 (Glide Year): Do whatever your application lacks - whether it be volunteer work, research, clinical experience, etc

Reactions: 2 users
The above poster has amazing advice. Pay special attention to the SMPs he listed. I would not venture outside these programs, even if your state has a cheaper one. You will not save that much money in the long run and a SMP's reputation is everything.

And just because this can't be said enough, remember that a SMP or Master's never, ever makes up for a sub-par MCAT.

Agree with the blessing in disguise statement. First, you need to fix whatever caused your GPA to be that low and your poor MCAT. Ask yourself "why am I not performing as well as I would like?"

Before jumping into a rigorous SMP, start by taking upper level coursework at a CC or your Alma Mater and see if you can do well (3.7+, ideally 4.0). This is how I would structure your next 3 years.

Year 1: DIY Post Bacc (3 classes first semester to perfect study habits, 5 classes second semester)
If you do well in Year 1, then Summer after Year 1 you should start studying for the MCAT again. If your practice scores reflect the score you wish to achieve, then take it in August before your SMP starts. If not, take it after the SMP. Don't rush it, because it will be tough having 2 poor scores on your record.
Year 2 : 1 year SMP for either MD ( EVMS, VCU, Boston, Tulane, Drexel, Georgetown, Cincinnati) or DO (VCOM, LMU-DCOM, PCOM, Midwestern)
If you do well in Year 2 SMP, then apply following your SMP
Year 3 (Glide Year): Do whatever your application lacks - whether it be volunteer work, research, clinical experience, etc
Thank you so much for the advice - I really needed someone to help me plan out the next few years & this is perfect. So far, I plan to take Economic Botany, Neuroscience, and Toxicology in Fall 2019. In the Spring, I'll likely take Immunology, Virology, and whatever other courses I can find.

The only issue I'm having is that both Neuro & Toxicology are graduate level because the undergraduate level is full. I know this won't help my uGPA much, but it would bump my cGPA, right? I feel like what is really important here is that I demonstrate that I can take upper-levels and do well - not so much the fact that it is graduate vs. undergraduate. Am I okay to think this?

As for applying to the SMP, I'm assuming I would do that in the winter after this upcoming semester after my grades have posted, correct?

Thank you so much for the advice - I really needed someone to help me plan out the next few years & this is perfect. So far, I plan to take Economic Botany, Neuroscience, and Toxicology in Fall 2019. In the Spring, I'll likely take Immunology, Virology, and whatever other courses I can find.

The only issue I'm having is that both Neuro & Toxicology are graduate level because the undergraduate level is full. I know this won't help my uGPA much, but it would bump my cGPA, right? I feel like what is really important here is that I demonstrate that I can take upper-levels and do well - not so much the fact that it is graduate vs. undergraduate. Am I okay to think this?

As for applying to the SMP, I'm assuming I would do that in the winter after this upcoming semester after my grades have posted, correct?
Your biggest goal should be to get your undergraduate sGPA and cGPA above 3.0. You should be taking 100% upper level science courses in your post-bacc. Avoid graduate level courses until you do this. Make sure they count as math or science courses with this guide: https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/course-classification-guide/

Your biggest goal should be to get your undergraduate sGPA and cGPA above 3.0. You should be taking 100% upper level science courses in your post-bacc. Avoid graduate level courses until you do this. Make sure they count as math or science courses with this guide: https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/course-classification-guide/
I've been trying my best to avoid taking graduate level classes. I'm running into a lot of roadblocks at my Alma Mater (i.e. full classes, can't take G/UG classes simultaneously), so one of the biggest challenges is actually finding medically-relevant undergraduate classes that are still open (non-degree students have last priority to classes).

Maybe something to consider but I would suggest that you take classes away from your alma mater. For me, it was nice getting a fresh start at a new institution. I think I was so stressed at my undergrad institution that environment for me got stressful even when it was not.

Reactions: 2 users
Would anyone happen to know how DO schools consider grad GPA? As far as I've read, they seem to include it into the cGPA whereas MD schools do not.

Would anyone happen to know how DO schools consider grad GPA? As far as I've read, they seem to include it into the cGPA whereas MD schools do not.
stick with undergrad courses not grad...