DIY pre-req school- does rating matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SylvieK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start taking my pre-reqs from this summer at a local university.
I have a master's from a well reputable school but I've relocated to a different city for a job that I quit for this path.

Anyway, there are about 3 school options for me. They all offer similar course since they're just different campus of the university.
One campus that's about 1-1.5hr from my house (say #1) has highest rating among their campus and overall in the area.
The #2 option isn't as far as the first one but not as close as #3.

What's funny is that "the school rating," so to say, is inversely proportional to the distance to the campus from my house.
With traffic ((there's almost always traffic here)), parking, walking to the class, it can take up to 2hr for me to get to the class at #1 campus.
Another concern is that since #1 is relatively competitive school, it might be difficult to get A no matter how hard I work.

My GPA from Master's is 3.9 and 3.6 from undergrad. Would I look really bad if I take pre-reqs at #3 campus? It's not a C.C. It's just not a very decent school compared to #1.

How much does the school rating / reputation matter for N.T students who already has a degree?

Would it be worth for me to travel 2-3hr total almost everyday to go to #1 ?

Members don't see this ad.

I would take it at the closest school possible. I had a bachelors degree prior to doing a DIY post-bac. and I did most of my pre-med sciences at the university level but a couple sprinkled in at a local community college. It really doesn't matter a ton where you take your pre-reqs as long as you do well.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to start taking my pre-reqs from this summer at a local university.
I have a master's from a well reputable school but I've relocated to a different city for a job that I quit for this path.

Anyway, there are about 3 school options for me. They all offer similar course since they're just different campus of the university.
One campus that's about 1-1.5hr from my house (say #1) has highest rating among their campus and overall in the area.
The #2 option isn't as far as the first one but not as close as #3.

What's funny is that "the school rating," so to say, is inversely proportional to the distance to the campus from my house.
With traffic ((there's almost always traffic here)), parking, walking to the class, it can take up to 2hr for me to get to the class at #1 campus.
Another concern is that since #1 is relatively competitive school, it might be difficult to get A no matter how hard I work.

My GPA from Master's is 3.9 and 3.6 from undergrad. Would I look really bad if I take pre-reqs at #3 campus? It's not a C.C. It's just not a very decent school compared to #1.

How much does the school rating / reputation matter for N.T students who already has a degree?

Would it be worth for me to travel 2-3hr total almost everyday to go to #1 ?
Med schools won't care which campus or which university you take your pre-reqs at. Most wouldn't care if you did complete them at a CC, as long as you get the As. In addition, they won't care at all that you attended the "best" school if you DON'T get A's. Bottom line is, getting the A's you need is infinitely more important than the name of your school, and saving the time is well worth going to the less-well-known school. That is extra time you can use to study more, get in more and better ECs, etc....all things that will help your application much more than the name of the school will. There is no real debate here, definitely go to the easiest/closest/cheapest option.

Members don't see this ad :)
For post-bacs, you're not going to kill yourself taking them at the lowest cost/lowest tiered school, assuming you will pull out respectable grades and quality MCAT. Even if it was a CC, your #3 school, you're not screwing yourself over.

I have found great education, and TONS more face-to-face professor time ( not foreign-speaking TA time) at the small, local no-name college. Far easier, affordable, and at least for me, matching in quality. Made me wonder why I had paid all that extra for the big name school.

Thanks all for the reply.
One thing I forgot to mention is that #3, the closest school has a quarter system.
I've never attended quarter school and it feels awkward.
Since it'll have a faster pace, I'm a bit worried if I can catch up everything well.

When I looked up semester/quarter conversion, 1 semester was equal to 1.5 quarter.
Does this mean I have to take 2 quarters to complete a subject that would only take 1 semester at different school?
If so, doesn't quarter school make the pre-req completion period longer?
Say 1 quarter is about 10 weeks and 1 semester is 13-15. If I take 2 quarters of one subject to match 1 semester, it'd later accumulate to about 40weeks or so when I take 6-8 classes.

Also, doesn't it cost more?
For example, 2 semesters of General Chemistry would be 10 credits (5 each) at a semester based college (#1 and 2). When I look at #3 school's course catalog, it's still 5 credits per quarter and I need to register for 3 quarters to match 2 semesters, which would cost me 15 credits total.

Did anyone take pre-req at quarter school?
How does it work out?

Last edited:
Thanks all for the reply.
One thing I forgot to mention is that #3, the closest school has a quarter system.
I've never attended quarter school and it feels awkward.
Since it'll have a faster pace, I'm a bit worried if I can catch up everything well.

When I looked up semester/quarter conversion, 1 semester was equal to 1.5 quarter.
Does this mean I have to take 2 quarters to complete a subject that would only take 1 semester at different school?
If so, doesn't quarter school make the pre-req completion period longer?
Say 1 quarter is about 10 weeks and 1 semester is 13-15. If I take 2 quarters of one subject to match 1 semester, it'd later accumulate to about 40weeks or so when I take 6-8 classes.

Also, doesn't it cost more?
For example, 2 semesters of General Chemistry would be 10 credits (5 each) at a semester based college (#1 and 2). When I look at #3 school's course catalog, it's still 5 credits per quarter and I need to register for 3 quarters to match 2 semesters, which would cost me 15 credits total.

Did anyone take pre-req at quarter school?
How does it work out?
15 weeks / semester * 2 semesters = 30 weeks = 10 weeks / quarter * 3 quarters, so that wouldn't take any longer that way...

As far as what is more expensive, you will have to look at the cost per credit hour, and do the math for that..... The quarter system very well could cost significantly less a credit than the semester, to make up for the shorter length of each term....

The pre-reqs are generally 1-year sequences, so you would need 2 semesters of Bio, Chem, Organic chem, physics, which is the same as 3 quarters of each of those. For the "recommended" pre-reqs that aren't actually required at most schools, like stats, calc, biochemistry, etc. if they are not required there is no need to worry whether a single quarter will "count". For schools that actually do require single semesters of these courses, the best thing to do is contact the admissions office of each school directly and ask how it works.

Thanks theseeker4. The quarter school's cost is $334 per credit whereas the semester school charges $299. So to complete 1 year of prereq that's 5 credit in each semestser/quarter would be about $2000 difference, just for 1 subject... ... That's why I was so surprised at the number and wanted to double-check the quarter-semester conversion on this forum.

Oh well..

I've been away from this forum for a while, but just wanted to add for whatever it's worth that I recently spoke to a few adcom committee members who mentioned that the quality of undergrad school was indeed considered. Conventional wisdom on here is that "Gen Chem is Gen Chem is Gen Chem," wherever you take it, but I've not only found that not to be true, i.e. Gen Chems at "harder" schools are typically harder to get As in than Gen Chems at "easier" schools, but also that this variable was considered by these people I spoke with.

Again, that is contrary to conventional wisdom on here. But it's straight from the horse's (er...adcom's) mouth so I figured I'd throw it out there, for whatever it's worth. I know we have some adcom members on here who graciously offer their advice, but it's worth considering whether that advice is applicable to all med schools or just that particular med school (or med schools in that particular cohort).

Anyway, I'm off again for a while (I have to study!) but I thought I'd throw that out there since I just recently had this conversation.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been away from this forum for a while, but just wanted to add for whatever it's worth that I recently spoke to a few adcom committee members who mentioned that the quality of undergrad school was indeed considered. Conventional wisdom on here is that "Gen Chem is Gen Chem is Gen Chem," wherever you take it, but I've not only found that not to be true, i.e. Gen Chems at "harder" schools are typically harder to get As in than Gen Chems at "easier" schools, but also that this variable was considered by these people I spoke with.

Again, that is contrary to conventional wisdom on here. But it's straight from the horse's (er...adcom's) mouth so I figured I'd throw it out there, for whatever it's worth. I know we have some adcom members on here who graciously offer their advice, but it's worth considering whether that advice is applicable to all med schools or just that particular med school (or med schools in that particular cohort).

Anyway, I'm off again for a while (I have to study!) but I thought I'd throw that out there since I just recently had this conversation.

This is exactly what I have believe to be true as well. Where you attend undergrad and where you attend your post bacc are absolutely factored into the equation. They have to be. I am taking my pre-reqs right now at a state school and have been worrying about how adcoms will realistically look at my course work when it is all said and done. To be frank, Gen Chem is a joke. It is ridiculously easy, and my official grade halfway through is an A+. At my undergrad, which is rigorous and highly ranked, most students would be happy to get a B+ in Gen Chem 1 and 2.( For example, my undergrad required students to have taken Calculus before Chem. Not the case at my post bacc)

I would definitely say that people on this forum like to assume that where you go to school doesn't matter, but in fact it does. All schools are not the same, that is a fact. Some will be harder, and someway easier. But wherever you go, you have to just try to do very well. At the end of the day, that is the only thing in your control of this long process.

This is the most thorough answer I've seen on the topic - should be stickied and reposted in every thread where someone asks this question. I've asked several people on AdComs and their advice was consistent with what gonnif is saying. There isn't really much else to add. Take classes at the best institution you can do well in, and if you have to attend a less known school make sure you kill the MCAT.

It is more nuanced and the "prestige" or rigor factor is typically perceived having much more weight by students then reality suggests. Making it more difficult give any definitive answer, it appears to be vary widely by adcom and seems to be most impactful as the proximity of the undergrad school covaries with the medical school

Boy that a freakin mouthful , wasn't it? Let me try to simplify. These are all general thoughts and observation from interactions with many admissions staff over the past decade at conferences and due my work with OldPreMeds. And my rule of thumb for the vast majority of students is

Take classes at the best institution that you can do well in

1) How you do in courses/GPA is a magnitude or more important compared to where you do your work.

2) For a large percentage of traditional students who have similar backgrounds (ie under 26 and typical biological science majors),"prestige" factor or weighting would seem more a useful tool for adcoms to use across this pool of similar applicants. Nontraditional students, who often have mixed/atypical educational background, it would appear to less useful for adcoms, therefore less likely used and/or less of a factor.

3) Extremely well-known and prestigious schools (i.e. ivy league, standford, hopkins, michigan state) may carry more name recognition and may be used more by adcoms. That is the prestige factor is not linear but seems to be likely taken into account as school's perceived prestige factor increases. But it is likely that a lower proportion on nontraditional attend these schools as their only primary undergraduate course work than traditional students thus not as large a factor as for them.

4) Adcoms vary in the prestige rank given to each school, though likely within similar range or class as well as vary in how weight they give each school in comparison to other factors such as GPA and MCAT. Lastly, there is a large spectrum across adcoms in the "formality" of prestige factor in their admissions process. Some school may include a formal numerical value that will part of an applicants overall ranking formula on initial or early application review that could be used for sending out secondaries or interview invites. This could less formal with more broad categories used later in the application process. Least formal would be use by individual adcom members when either explicitly or unconsciously evaluating an application. In short, the use of prestige factor encompasses a wild spectrum and varies greatly across adcoms .

5) Students may be lured in by the draw of the prestige factor with out consideration for the more highly competitive nature of the student body at the more prestigious institution. For example, in the past year or two there was thread here on SDN by a student going to a good state school, with significant scholarship money, running a 3.8 GPA. He had the opportunity to transfer to Cornell at 4 times the cost where he self admittedly would be able to get a 3.5 . He was absolutely convinced the prestige factor would more than make up for the GPA difference.

6) It is seen that the geographically closer an undergraduate institution is to a medical school, the more likely a consensus accepted perception of the prestige factor is understood by the adcoms and more likely to be used. This has been expressed to me by several admissions officers as they know the school in their own backyard. However my own personal experience in doing a postbacc about a decade ago may illustrate just how important the perception of prestige and rigor plays in the mind of a adcom.

I took organic chemistry during the summer at a somewhat mediocre and small state college taught by a long time faculty member of that school. While he taught this course in the afternoons, her taught the same course, with same lecture, same text, and same exams, at a nearby much larger and very well renown state university research center. He had done this dual summer course setup for both campus for nearly 20 years. While taking the course, I was fortunate to have a meeting with an admissions director from a nearby medical school that is unassociated with either of the above campuses. When I mentioned I was taking the course at the mediocre state college, she someone berated me for not taking the more rigorous version at the state university research center. She was more than a little miffed when I explained that they were exactly the same course, given exactly same exams, and taught for nearly two decades by the same professor, who was faculty at the smaller college not the research center. Additionally this small state college had 3 summer terms (started the weekend after spring term and continued until the weekend before fall classes). In the last term following the 2 organic courses, some student were going to take biochem in the last 5 week term. When I mentioned this to the admissions director as well she completely dismissive of this. When I informed her it was being taught by a well-known faculty of a state medical school, she was beside herself. I would up getting emails sent from the organic chem faculty member as well as the biochem faculty (who apparently used his summer teaching stint as personal recharge after being in the lab the other 10 months of the year) to the admissions director.

So what is a nontrad to do with all this info? As I said at the beginning of this , with the many factor and issues that nontrads have to deal with and the balances and compromises they may have to make in order to complete prerequisites, my rule of thumb is

Take classes at the best institution that you can do well in