dlc: chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have already applied to medical school last year and did not get in. I just graduated from college Magna Cum Laude with a BA in political science and chemistry. My gpa is pretty good (3.80) but my MCAT, not so good (VR 7, PS 8 BS 10 WS R). I did apply pretty late, with the first day of sending my secondaries in November 1. I also managed to get one interview despite my low MCATs and late application. I have a lot of hospital experience (volunteer and employment), research experience (academic and corporate), work experience (teaching assistant, research assistant, and minor jobs) and extracurricular activities (Student Government, History Club, school newspaper, various community service events, many leadership positions) that make me a very well-rounded person, and I think that these factors allowed the Admissions Committee of this one school to overlook the low MCAT. I have already reapplied for this year and have sent in my secondaries, making me three months ahead of last year. What I am wondering is whether these MCAT scores are always going to be in the way? I realize now that I was not studying efficiently, not to mention that my stamina is pretty low for such an extended test time. I would just like any advice that you could offer to me!
dlc

Members don't see this ad.

The MCATs are a little low, but with your gpa and credentials they should not be a "death sentence" to your bid for a medical school position.
Which medical schools are you applying to? Which did you apply to last year? Have you considered osteopathic school? How are your letters of recommendation?

Please post your reply here and I'll get back with a more informative answer!

Thanks!

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net

from dlc:

Dr. Henderson,
This year, the medical schools that I am applying to are: Boston University, Chicago Medical School, Florida State University-Program in Medical Sciences, Jefferson Medical College, Hahnemann MCP University, University of Miami, New York Medical College, University of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania State University, St. Louis University, Temple University, Tufts University, Tulane University, and Wisconsin Medical College. I chose most of these because their average MCATs were not that high. Last year, I applied to Chicago Med School, University of Florida, Florida State University, Harvard, Howard University, University of Miami, New York Medical College, University of Pennsylvania, St. Louis University, Tulane University, Virginia Medical College, and Wisconsin Medical College. The pre-medical secretary at my undergraduate college says that my recommendation letters are really strong. I have the regular composite letter as well as five outside letters. I have considered osteopathic school but I did not apply this year. I realize that osteopathic physicians have the same clout as allopathic physicians but I guess I just wanted to make sure that time was not the only factor keeping me out of medical school before I actually applied to osteopathic schools. If I did not get into med school this year, I was going to retake the MCAT again, since I am almost positive that this is what is preventing admissions committees from accepting me. In addition, I was going to apply to about four or five osteopathic schools, since I think that I would have a better chance of getting in. Another reason I was not sure I wanted to apply was because I really have no experience with osteopathic medicine. I never had the chance to meet any osteopaths (some schools require letters of recommendation from an osteopath) and I just never really observed one to actually convince myself that it was a good alternative to allopathic medicine, but I guess it is never too late. Anyway,I hope this provides some insight into my situation!
Thank you,
dlc

The list of medical schools you applied to are powerhouses (Many may not be top 20 but are still very tough!) If by chicago med school you mean University of Chicago, as opposed to Chicago Health Sciences, you may be overstepping. Other chicago medical schools which you may have a better chance are Loyola and Rush. I think there are many schools which you are overlooking, and perhaps you should apply to more.
Your hesitancy about osteopathic medicine may be alleviated by a visit to osteopathic.com. They may be able to point you to a good osteopath to precept with also!

I think the main problem here is limited selection. That MCAT score and grades may not get you into the schools you applied to, but they should get you in somewhere!

If you are confident you can do better on the MCAT, it might be something to think about, but be sure to take practice tests so you can gauge where you are at!

I think you really have a good shot at some schools with your credentials, though!

Good luck!

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net