DM: Crabs CF and ALL DAT JAZZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhk43

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
BS
Crabz:
which one gets the most selective pressure
??? SB on SD, etc? ugh totally guessed A

drosphilia eye/wing mutation, what is X linked?
i said vg and vg+

cystic fibrosis blood test?
i said check plasma fluid...

PS:
if a satellite moves past a moon, does the satellite gain momentum and the moon lose?

why does the ocean measuring thing float to the surface to send data?
water ionic disruption, cuz it has to float up to collect data...

why doesnt rain water mix into the ocean?
cold, currents, density?

humus? did higher K mean lower DIC (or whatever the acronym)
were they testing water samples?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't remember specifics, but I remember putting down "translational motion" regarding the problem you guys are talking about (I narrowed it down to that and "translational and rotational motion"...).

Regarding that stupid trance passage...I put the answer regarding the "deaf person". That answer just made the most sense to me. Ah well... :rolleyes:

The PS and BS were both a pain to complete, in terms of having enough time to check over answers. I didn't have that trouble with the Verbal section for some reason. I think my scores in each of the sections will be completely reversed from the scores I've been getting on practice tests. :eek:

I'm sure all you guys did fine. Cheers.

Treg said:
I am doing a PhD in immunology and a large protein is the answer. Looking back at the passage, it said that carbohydrates could be good antigens, and that complex structure/branching increased antigenicity. The question had a large "repeating" carbohydrate, so I think that they were trying to trick us. Proteins will most always be more "complex". If "large protein" isn't the right answer, then these bastards are wrong ;)

cant repeating carbos of the same subunit also branch?

Truck with cargo. what do you need to find the center of gravity?

length of truck
distance between tires
etc

Members don't see this ad :)
jhk43 said:
Truck with cargo. what do you need to find the center of gravity?

length of truck
distance between tires
etc

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it asked what you need to know to find the weight distribution or something and I was stuck between length and the center of gravity, picked center of gravity??? The more I think about this test, the more I hate it.

jhk43 said:
cant repeating carbos of the same subunit also branch?

Yes, I think so. However, the fact that they are repeating indicates that there are a lot of the same epitopes.

:)

Treg

Cerberus said:
The author was arguing that it was a social phenomena more than a physiological phenomena. Therefore, the deaf person entering a trance actually supported his point.

Yes, that is what I thought. So did you put the animals answer? That would suggest that trance in response to music was not related to culture.

Treg

PS Isn't this commiserating fun :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

frank51 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it asked what you need to know to find the weight distribution or something and I was stuck between length and the center of gravity, picked center of gravity??? The more I think about this test, the more I hate it.

Yes, it asked about the distribution of weight on the front tires. I put center of mass :cool:

Cerberus said:
Yes, it asked about the distribution of weight on the front tires. I put center of mass :cool:

Me too. So far, so good....

Treg :cool:

I put the "animals" answer for the trance passage.

I put center of mass for the damn truck

I put complex carbs ( I think they were trying to trick us and it was protein)

Anyone remember the question that asked if momentum and kinetic energy were conserved? I think it was a fission question or something?

LUBDUBB said:
Anyone remember the question that asked if momentum and kinetic energy were conserved? I think it was a fission question or something?

hmm, i vaguely remember this passage.

if ur measuring the speed of other galaxy, do you compare it with?
the sun
earth
our galaxy
their galaxy?

that humus / water pollution passage made no sense to me

Members don't see this ad :)
proline / Hydroxysomthing ratio.

if u add Hydroxy enzyme:
*ratio reduces due to more prolines getting Hydroxied
*ratio reduces since all proline -->Hydrox

jhk43 said:
proline / Hydroxysomthing ratio.

if u add Hydroxy enzyme:
*ratio reduces due to more prolines getting Hydroxied
*ratio reduces since all proline -->Hydrox

I put that the ratio reduces, since the cells will continue to make proline...

Treg

abdominal insect cell differentation:

does A1 have an intrinsic/extrinsic differentation factor or something

jhk43 said:
abdominal insect cell differentation:

does A1 have an intrinsic/extrinsic differentation factor or something

A1 was intrinsic, since the determinants were not positional and were split when you split the cells. A2 was Extrinsic (positional factors). I re-read it several times to be sure.

Treg

Treg said:
A1 was intrinsic, since the determinants were not positional and were split when you split the cells. A2 was Extrinsic (positional factors). I re-read it several times to be sure.

Treg

if u want capillary pressure to be ~28,
artery 35 vein 17?

glomeruli filters plasma from blood cells

jhk43 said:
if u want capillary pressure to be ~28,
artery 35 vein 17?

That is what I guessed, since the artery will always have a greater pressure than the vein. I am not 100% though.

:) Treg

BTW, I am amazed at how much you can remember from the test! It is all a blur to me....

Oh no!!! I think I might have missed the pedigree question. Does anyone remember? I know it was recessive but didn't check to see if only sons were affected. Now I'm thinking it could be x-linked recessive if only sons were affected and I put autosomal recessive. :( Anyone remember if only sons were affected?

Persistence101 said:
Oh no!!! I think I might have missed the pedigree question. Does anyone remember? I know it was recessive but didn't check to see if only sons were affected. Now I'm thinking it could be x-linked recessive if only sons were affected and I put autosomal recessive. :( Anyone remember if only sons were affected?

i think both males and babes were affected.

autosomal recessive seems rite...

Persistence101 said:

I double checked this one too. There was an instance where an unaffected male crossed with an affected female and had an affected daughter. Since she would get one X chromosome from her dad, and he was unaffected, it could not be x-linked (he only has one X and is unaffected). Thus, it was autosomal recessive. I think this was another case of them trying to trick the people who didn't have the time to carefully go through the pedigree.

I hope that helps :)

Treg

pain and numbness

pain comes from stimulation of pain receptors
numbness comes from dead receptors ro something?

jhk43 said:
pain and numbness

pain comes from stimulation of pain receptors
numbness comes from dead receptors ro something?

I think I put pain from sensory something, and numbness from defected or dead something.

What about why the axon dies if it is cut off?
I put something about not having access to the cell body and the protein synthesis machinery.

I put something about not having access to the cell body and the protein synthesis machinery.

yeah, thats right

heart transplant

they are confident that the heart will be ok, since...
Cardiac output in transplant remains same as normal heart during exercise?

how does the transplanted heart slightly increase blood pressure?
intrinsic due to contractility increase?
extrinsic hormones...

jhk43 said:

yeah, thats right

I put the same answers for both of those questions.

Treg

polio virus...affecting motor neurons in the spine or motor neurons near the vicinity of the affected muscle within the neuromuscular junction?

jhk43 said:
heart transplant

they are confident that the heart will be ok, since...
Cardiac output in transplant remains same as normal heart during exercise?

how does the transplanted heart slightly increase blood pressure?
intrinsic due to contractility increase?
extrinsic hormones...

Yes on the cardiac output.

I think it was hormones, since the slope was slowly increasing, suggesting the "longer" action of a hormone. Not 100% though.

Treg

Persistence101 said:
polio virus...affecting motor neurons in the spine or motor neurons near the vicinity of the affected muscle within the neuromuscular junction?

i put motor neurons within the muscle/nmj itself

EDIT: I know this is wrong. motors in the spine is correct

Persistence101 said:

In the spine, since in the passage it stated something about motor neuron cell bodies being in the spine. Something about the wording in the answer with the affected muscle was off, as I recall...

Of course, just my 0.02

:) Treg

Persistence101 said:
I put it is in the spinal cord. Heres what the Merck manual says about the virus. " Significant virus-induced pathology occurs in only the spinal cord and brain, involving motor neurons of the anterior horn of the spinal cord; the medulla;and to, a lesser degree, other parts of the brain, including the cerebellum and the motor cortex."

Treg said:
I had this form as well:

BS
Crabz:
which one gets the most selective pressure
??? SB on SD, etc? ugh totally guessed A

I put SB on SB, since the highest % went to the natural partner

Treg

So SB on SD felt the most selective pressure and SD on SD had the greatest binding?

Treg said:
Yes on the cardiac output.

I think it was hormones, since the slope was slowly increasing, suggesting the "longer" action of a hormone. Not 100% though.

Treg

yep, ur right. external circulating catecholamines cause the increase in heart rate which causes increased muscle contractility and cardiac output. the key is, its not inherent to the cardiac muscle itself. (i got this one wrong too). the answer i was really looking for is vein contracting which increases blood pressure...oh well.

Did anyone else get the "warning" PM?

That is the reason for my lack of replies of late.

Cheers,

Treg