DMD/PhD Decision Making Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mts2801

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I applied for DMD/PhD programs at several schools throughout the country. I have offers from UIC and UConn and things are looking promising (knock on wood!) for MUSC, although I'm not 100% counting on them since I haven't gotten any official offer yet.

I'm trying to make a decision about which program to accept and one of the factors that many people mentioned is the school's prestige. I know that the school's "ranking" doesn't matter a ton for most dental schools (you'll be a dentist no matter what, patients won't care where you went to school ect ect) but I know that it's very important for many PhD programs/especially if you want to stay in academics (which I do).

Is there anyone out there with experiencing choosing DMD/PhD programs? I know there aren't THAT many schools out there that have it, so I'm not even sure if prestige is something that matters since it's such a specific program anyway; I just don't know anyone IRL that is able to advise me one way or another.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I've heard back from U. Minnesota and Ohio and have met faculty from both schools who are willing to mentor me through my proposed projects (one in anesthesiology and another in microbial sciences). I'm waitlisted at UIC and still haven't heard back from Univ. of Michigan.

I like UIC because I live in Chicago otherwise I was very impressed with The Ohio State's program and the resources they have. UConn and MUSC are two schools where I didn't finish their application.

If academia is the end goal then where you graduate from matters 100% but if you want to take your skills to private practice then where you graduate from doesn't carry much weight.

At the moment I unfortunately don't have any offers (for dual degree programs) and will take whatever I can get :). If I were in your shoes I would look for prestige and the school that has the 'right' project for your interests (that are available to be worked on).

I look forward to seeing where you decide to go :)

Thanks
oms47

Hey! I just sent in my email declining my UIC offer (but got an "out of office" reply), so hopefully you'll hear good news! Although I don't know how many people applied/interviewed/ were waitlisted.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
did you decide on where you're going yet?

No, not yet. Still waiting to hear if MUSC has funding for me :( My guess is that I won't hear in time so I'll probably be accepting the UConn offer (loved the school/research faculty when I went, so can't be too disappointed about MUSC!)

No, not yet. Still waiting to hear if MUSC has funding for me :( My guess is that I won't hear in time so I'll probably be accepting the UConn offer (loved the school/research faculty when I went, so can't be too disappointed about MUSC!)

haha congrats, either way. UConn's deposit is cheap so you still have room to decide even if you hear back from MUSC after paying the deposit. wish you the best on wherever you go though!

Hey! I just sent in my email declining my UIC offer (but got an "out of office" reply), so hopefully you'll hear good news! Although I don't know how many people applied/interviewed/ were waitlisted.

Good luck!

I also interviewed for UIC's DMD/PhD program.... i believe there were only 4-5 students who interviewed.

haha congrats, either way. UConn's deposit is cheap so you still have room to decide even if you hear back from MUSC after paying the deposit. wish you the best on wherever you go though!

Thank you! And yeah, I already paid the deposit for UConn. At least it wasn't one of those $1000+ deposits!

Are you looking at dual degree programs?

I also interviewed for UIC's DMD/PhD program.... i believe there were only 4-5 students who interviewed.

Ah, gotcha. There was one person there on my interview days, so I wasn't sure.

Thank you! And yeah, I already paid the deposit for UConn. At least it wasn't one of those $1000+ deposits!

Are you looking at dual degree programs?

Haha nope, the DMD/DDS is enough for me. But I am becoming a lot more interested in doing some part-time faculty work at some point.

If you want to stay in dental academics, i don't think the name on your PhD will matter a whole lot, at least from my personal understanding. There are so few dentist scientists out there, most programs are more than elated if their faculty has an MS with their DDS, let alone a PhD. The fact is, the vast majority of dentists can make far more in private practice than in academics, so the field is already hurting for qualified dentists to teach and research. That is why a good majority of dental faculty only have a DDS and not a PhD as well. So if you have a PhD to boot, regardless of where it is from, most institutions would be happy to have you.

Reactions: 1 user
Also.... Congrats on your acceptance and good luck!! That is a great way to get school paid for!!

If you want to stay in dental academics, i don't think the name on your PhD will matter a whole lot, at least from my personal understanding. There are so few dentist scientists out there, most programs are more than elated if their faculty has an MS with their DDS, let alone a PhD. The fact is, the vast majority of dentists can make far more in private practice than in academics, so the field is already hurting for qualified dentists to teach and research. That is why a good majority of dental faculty only have a DDS and not a PhD as well. So if you have a PhD to boot, regardless of where it is from, most institutions would be happy to have you.

Thanks!

Interviewed at UConn for their program last year. It involved having multiple interviews with several faculty which was separate than the dental school interview. I turned down the school because I honestly didn't want to stay in CT for 7-8 years. Also I found it hard to believe that one could finish a PhD in 3 years. Many of my past PIs took 5+ years so I felt like I wouldn't be a capable scientist and rather fed a project to just complete on time. (My opinion) Also you don't graduate with your class because you have to take 2-3 years off to finish it (may not be so important to some). Lastly, you fall behind clinically and miss out on 3 years of practice.

If you love research theres always research opportunities during school. I am currently in a lab and already have a publication.
Also as far as UConn goes, I believe it was 60% covered tuition. -- Might have changed. Still really cheap but yea its 3 years extra.

Personally, I am happy i turned it down-- especially because now I am planning on specializing. I didn't want to be in school forever.

Hey guys,

I applied for DMD/PhD programs at several schools throughout the country. I have offers from UIC and UConn and things are looking promising (knock on wood!) for MUSC, although I'm not 100% counting on them since I haven't gotten any official offer yet.

I'm trying to make a decision about which program to accept and one of the factors that many people mentioned is the school's prestige. I know that the school's "ranking" doesn't matter a ton for most dental schools (you'll be a dentist no matter what, patients won't care where you went to school ect ect) but I know that it's very important for many PhD programs/especially if you want to stay in academics (which I do).

Is there anyone out there with experiencing choosing DMD/PhD programs? I know there aren't THAT many schools out there that have it, so I'm not even sure if prestige is something that matters since it's such a specific program anyway; I just don't know anyone IRL that is able to advise me one way or another.

From what I've gathered, prestige doesn't matter with this type of programs. It's not like you are going to use your PhD to get a teaching/research position at a regular university. DDS/PhD is only useful in the dental field (i.e. dental schools) and will set you up nicely for a tenure-track faculty position at pretty much any dental school that takes research seriously. Just take a look at some of the dental school faculty websites and see how many of the dual degree holders got their PhDs from Ivy League schools or any other prestigious schools.

What's more important than the prestige in your case as a dual degree student is 1) whether you can get out on time and 2) whether you can get out on time. Also, you most likely will have to do some kind of postdoc training after getting your DDS/PhD (i.e. research associateship) as that is pretty much required these days to get a faculty position and also to have your own lab in the future.

Interviewed at UConn for their program last year. It involved having multiple interviews with several faculty which was separate than the dental school interview. I turned down the school because I honestly didn't want to stay in CT for 7-8 years. Also I found it hard to believe that one could finish a PhD in 3 years. Many of my past PIs took 5+ years so I felt like I wouldn't be a capable scientist and rather fed a project to just complete on time. (My opinion) Also you don't graduate with your class because you have to take 2-3 years off to finish it (may not be so important to some). Lastly, you fall behind clinically and miss out on 3 years of practice.

If you love research theres always research opportunities during school. I am currently in a lab and already have a publication.
Also as far as UConn goes, I believe it was 60% covered tuition. -- Might have changed. Still really cheap but yea its 3 years extra.

Personally, I am happy i turned it down-- especially because now I am planning on specializing. I didn't want to be in school forever.

Thanks for you're insight, but I'm absolutely sure that this is what I want to do. I don't want to open a private practice; I want to do dental related research for an academic institution (ideally!) or government agency. I can't do that with just a DMD and a little bit of research during those 4 years. As for "falling behind clinically", I'm sure that if I work hard enough and am motivated enough, that won't at all be an issue during school.

Also, it's 100% tuition coverage plus a stipend (like it is all of the places I've seen that have the DSTP grant).

Dentalstud: thanks for your reply! I appreciate the help.

Hey mts2801,

I got into UIC's DMD/PhD program! Thanks for dropping it :)

I owe you a bunch

Ahhh awesome!!! Congrats and good luck :)