DMD/PhD

Discussion in 'Dental' started by AlphaOmega2, Jun 6, 2008.

1. AlphaOmega2

Dental Student
    Hi, I wanted to ask you if you have any information on this subject. I have now the option at my university to do a degree in investigation, but it requieres taking a year off dental school, and maybe more (two or three years to finish the PhD). The university sell this to the students as a great thing to do, with lots of advantages, such as scholarships, working possibilities for the future, etc. But i am not so sure how good this really is. I've been told that the university needs the students to do all the dirty work in the labs, while the tutors get all the credit from the reseach. Besides this, it's not clear to me how this would help me in the future.
    So, do you have any experience to share about a degree in research that would help me made my mind?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. servitup

Resident [Any Field]
    if you want to be a researcher for a living, i say go for it. if not, forget it.

4. Siubking

Siubking Member

What do you mean by "tutors"? Do it only if you like research or want to teach or plan have a research lab, it won't help you in private practice

5. Gunner McGee

Dental Student
    Tutors probably means PI

6. AlphaOmega2

Dental Student
    yes, i think you call it PI

7. Shunwei

Dentist
    Posted via Mobile Device

Or "Mentors"

8. MONKEYBOY

Dental Student
    Research is basically volunteer work, compared to private practice dentistry.

Your school probably makes some big $ from 3M or someone if students do projects-in-a-box.

If doing research is your aim, sounds like a reasonable choice.

If practicing and getting out of the lab (glorious word for linoleum floor and few windows), get out.

I spent years volunteering in research, and sure the PI's, prof's, and grad students are now profs ... but I am finally starting dental school and focusing on myself. Not helping some wanker that is only your friend while you are volunteering their research (while they use the $17 per hour of the grant for themself).

Choose wisely.

9. Gunner McGee

Dental Student
    Wow you got ripped off - I got paid when I did research. $3 per hour