Help/Advice on what bs-dds/dmd program to attend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hellothere2021

Reaction score
Hi, I am a senior in high school with a dilemma on what bs-dds/dmd program to choose?
I have been accepted into NovaSoutheastern 4+4,Pacific 2+3 bs dds,UPitt GAP 4+4 dental, and have received an interview from CWRU 3+4.
I have personally narrowed it down to Pacific and UPitt but I am unsure. Any pieces of advice and suggestions on where to go would be very helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am a senior in high school with a dilemma on what bs-dds/dmd program to choose?
I have been accepted into NovaSoutheastern 4+4,Pacific 2+3 bs dds,UPitt GAP 4+4 dental, and have received an interview from CWRU 3+4.
I have personally narrowed it down to Pacific and UPitt but I am unsure. Any pieces of advice and suggestions on where to go would be very helpful?
What is the benefit to Pitt's program? You still have to get a 4 year degree but on top of that they have strict standards. Just looked it up and they say you need a MINIMUM 3.75 cGPA and 3.65 sGPA + still have to get "favorable results from an interview during your junior year".

The only benefit I'm seeing is you get to skip the DAT?

Pacific's program seems like a much better deal. In that program you actually save 3 years of your life (and gain $400-600k+ of earned income from finishing 3 years early.) But talking about it is a lot easier than actually doing it. Those science classes in undergrad are no joke and Pacific looks like its going to shred you in them at that speed. They only ask for a 3.25 GPA and 18 on DAT tho which is perfectly doable.

If you want to do it tho Pacific is really the only one that makes sense. You get nothing out of Pitt's besides getting to avoid the DAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Pacific you will finish in three years and it is cheaper overall. That is the best option.

Are you planning to pay for this with loans? If so I would reconsider even doing the whole program.

1614406333501.png

1614406417653.png

So let's assume you do Pacific's 2+3 program, 70k per year*2 for undergrad = 140k

then 117 + 20k per year for living costs = 137k/year*3= 411k for dental school.

total cost = 551k. not including accruing interest etc.

If your parents can pay for it, I would do UOP's 2+3 program.

Otherwise I would reconsider doing a BS DDS.

imo it limits you into only becoming a dentist first of all, I don't think most undergrads lets alone HS students really know they want to do dentistry, so you need to explore a little bit in college.

but let's say you do know for sure you want to be a dentist. What I would suggest you do is stay in your home state and go to your state university (yes I know that isn't prestigious or whatever) but live at home, you can likely get a full ride scholarship. Graduate early (not in 4 years) with no debt, and apply to a cheaper dental school, hopefully you have an in-state school, and graduate early.

That is exactly what I did, got into dental school when I was 19 with no undergrad debt and finished up in 3 years. If you push yourself I think you can do 2 years in some schools though I don't think there is much of a point. This method will literally save you hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Reactions: 1 users
Uop offers different pathways to become a dentist: 2+3, 3+3, and 4+3. OP, for you to get accepted to a 2+3 program, your stats must be very impressive. Congratulations! I agree with most posters here that you should pick the UOP's 2+3 program.

My friend's kid also got accepted to UOP's BS/DDS program but he could only get into its 4+3 program. He has 1480-1490 SAT score (I don't remember the exact score), has straight As and takes a bunch of AP classes. He also got accepted to NOVA's 3+4 BS/DDS program. He is leaning toward NOVA due to lower cost.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! If you don't mind posting, what were your approx stats and ec's? I really want to get into a dental program but am not sure if i can get in. Thanks! Also pick what program is easier to maintain, in a location that you like better, and fees that are affordable for you.

Go to the cheapest one. You'll get the same dental education for less. After you graduate you will have basic knowledge to build on for your career.

I have met several grads from the UoP 2+3 who I admitted into my GPR when I was director. The program is rigorous. Stockton is not such a great town.
I know it is late in the game and you have to choose at this point, not change directions in your application process. But if you could, Berkley and then UCSF would have saved quite a bit of money. With that said, IMHO UoP is an excellent dental school and you will get a solid education.