DMD vs. DDS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northeast

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any one provide some information on the two degrees? Is there a significant difference?

Members don't see this ad.

DDS looks sexier next to my name, don't you agree?

UCSF2012, DDS ...yea, baby

UCSF2012, DMD ....ew, ew, ew...!!!!

they are equivalent degrees. you couldn't type this question into google or wikipedia? haha jk

Members don't see this ad :)
...And for those keeping score at home, this brings the number of "what's the difference between DMD and DDS?" threads to 7,442,089,152,947,351. At the rate we're going, we're on track to reach our goal of 10 quadrillion in late April of this year.

they are equivalent degrees. you couldn't type this question into google or wikipedia? haha jk

Yeah, I was just about to recommend a search on these boards since there are many threads on this topic. Then I remembered what I learned a month ago, the search function is not able to search for words fewer than four letters in length. This includes both DDS and DMD. Oh well… :(

To answer the OP. They are equivalent degrees, and do not differ like MD and DO. It has more to do with tradition of the school and what they have been handing out for years.

DDS = Doctor of Dental Sexiness
DMD = Doctor of Dental Medicine

As you can see, the DMD degree doesn't even follow the correct sequence of letters. :p
DDS is so much cooler!

On a more serious note, no, there is no difference.

As you can see, the DMD degree doesn't even follow the correct sequence of

Taken from an ADA page: http://www.ada.org/public/resources/history/timeline_19cent.asp

"1840—Horace Hayden and Chapin Harris establish the world's first dental school, the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery, and originate the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) degree. (The school merges with the University of Maryland School of Dentistry in 1923)."

"1867—The Harvard University Dental School, the first university-affiliated dental institution, is founded. The school calls its degree the Dentariae Medicinae Doctorae (DMD), creating a continuing semantic controversy (DDS vs. DMD)."

So there's some historical background, and also why the letters DMD are in that order.

DMD = since MD is in the name your actually and MD as well. So the first D stands for Dentist and the MD stands for Medical Doctor. I really dont know why MD students dont get DMD isntead.

DDS is just a normal dentist.

I feel sorry for DDS students.

DMD = since MD is in the name your actually and MD as well. So the first D stands for Dentist and the MD stands for Medical Doctor. I really dont know why MD students dont get DMD isntead.

DDS is just a normal dentist.

I feel sorry for DDS students.

Haha, but DDS is the classic/traditional degree. I don't want people driving by my practice looking for a DDS but pass me up because they see the DMD not knowing what it means or represents. Needless to say, I'd much rather have the DDS then the DMD (selfish reasons). Plus, it sounds way better with my last name.

Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot???

whisky-tango-foxtrot = WTF?

Only a DMD could have figured that one out.

They are the same degree, just different letters. Similar to MD vs DO
Both can do what the other can can can can can can can can.

whisky-tango-foxtrot = WTF?

Only a DMD could have figured that one out.

They are the same degree, just different letters. Similar to MD vs DO
Both can do what the other can can can can can can can can.

Pssshht:rolleyes:...Or someone who spends a lot of time on the computer, right?

This is got to be one of the most asked questions in this forum. Most schools award DDS. They are both same degrees.

Taken from an ADA page: http://www.ada.org/public/resources/history/timeline_19cent.asp

“1840—Horace Hayden and Chapin Harris establish the world's first dental school, the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery, and originate the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) degree. (The school merges with the University of Maryland School of Dentistry in 1923).”

“1867—The Harvard University Dental School, the first university-affiliated dental institution, is founded. The school calls its degree the Dentariae Medicinae Doctorae (DMD), creating a continuing semantic controversy (DDS vs. DMD).”

So there’s some historical background, and also why the letters DMD are in that order.

Harvard has this thing about naming their degrees in latin. Instead of B.A they have A.B.

This question has been answered in numerous threads and is in the forum FAQ. There really isn't a need for another thread about this question.

There is absolutely no difference between DDS and DMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.