DMS secondary question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emdeetwobee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It looks like AMCAS is getting their act together (got my credit card fixed and receiving secondaries). Anyone had the experience of filling DMS secondary? It looks like I need a typewriter for this. Also, anyone applying for MD/MBA dual degrees? I haven't taken the GMAT, but getting in the MD program is my main concern. In DMS secondary, there is a checklist of dates when to apply for MBA... will this delay my application to the MD program if I check at a later date (to give me time for the GMAT)?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't think that AMCAS has sent anything to medschools yet, but names and email addresses. You REALLY got a secondary already? from who?

later

Originally posted by 12R34Y:
•I didn't think that AMCAS has sent anything to medschools yet, but names and email addresses. You REALLY got a secondary already? from who?

later•

I also heard that some people received secondary from DMS. But, I didn't get mine yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Legi:
•I also heard that some people received secondary from DMS. But, I didn't get mine yet.•

Well, the Dartmouth secondary USED to be on their website, because I downloaded it about 3 weeks ago. However, soon afterwards I noticed that they had taken it off their website.

The PDF file that I downloaded was clearly labeled specifically for the 2002 entering class so its not last year's secondary. I'm not sure why they pulled it off their website. I already filled it out and sent it back before I noticed that it had been pulled from the website.

I'm out of town, so I havent checked my snail mail to see if they sent me another form or not.

Dartmouth (as far as I can tell) is the only school (that I'm applying to) that has officially mailed out secondaries. There are several other schools who have their secondaries online for immediate access.

Spang got George Washington Univ. to mail him/her a secondary early, and he posted the questions on another thread somewhere.

Last year when I applied, my first secondary came from DMS and from Harvard. Though I didn't go through with the Harvard secondary. I had not been expecting those two secondaries but it was only a few days that AMCAS had finished processing my application. I pretty sure that DMS probably sent me a secondary because they new from AMCAS that I had check off their school. If they had received my application, I doubt they actually looked due to the timing of the mailing.

I was also hesitant about sending back DMS's secondary because I didn't think they even cared about my application and sent out a secondary to everyboy, another money making scheme. But I am happy that I sent it in. I interviewed there and was placed on the wait-list. I was mesmerized by the school and the people there. I stayed with a few medical students and they were the nicest people I've met. The location is beautiful as well, but it might be a shock to some people. From my perspective, I would consider the location rural.

Here are the question that I had to answer last year. I hope DMS doesn't mind.

1. Please indicate what you are doing during the 2000-01 academic year. If in school, list courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job.

2. Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file. (The question is on top, and you are given a whole page to answer this class)

3. Applicants need not have completed all premedical courses at the time of application, but required courses must be completed and documented prior to matriculation at Dartmouth Medical School in August 2001. Please list below the courses you have taken, or plan to take, to fulfill Dartmouth Medical School's premedical requirements. Please circle the course names of any courses in progress during the application year. We require one year each (8 semester hours) of General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry (note: Biochemistry may not be substituted for Organic Chemistry), Physics, and General Biology, plus one-half year (3 semester hours) of Calculus. Advanced Placement courses for which you have received official college credit that will appear on a college transcript may be used in fulfillment of the requirements

Note: Questions 1 and 3 had boxes to be filled in and a typewriter would be needed for that. But I didn't have a typewriter yet being that DMS was my first secondary and I was not quite ready. So I just went on MS Word and recopied the question and tried to make the forms as similar as possible. I guess it didn't affect my application much considering that I got wait-listed.

I really liked the school and would have loved to gone there if circumstances were different. I would encourage applicants this year to really consider the program.

BB

I made an appointment for next Tuesday to speak with the director of admissions at one of my top choices and during my conversation with the office person (not sure of her position) she told be all they were getting from AMCAS was names and addresses, etc. She said they were sending out secondaries to everyone ("obviously some people are getting them that normally would not") just to get the whole process moving.

For what it's worth.....

Spang

So, other than Yale, which is online, and dartmouth, which apparently people are getting in the mail, has anybody gotten any secondaries from other schools? Baylor's is also online, and I filled it out, but I haven't heard a thing from them . . .anybody else?

I just received a letter from MC of Wisconsin. It told me to access their secondary online and to send them a copy of my AMCAS and official copies of my transcripts (more $$$, sigh). This info had been posted on another thread, but it was nice to hear it from them.

hey ewells. can you post the link to the MCW online secondary? i went to their site but cannot find it.