DMU, any tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bearman70

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have already interviewed at DMU, I have a question. Is there any one thing that you know now that you wish you knew at the time of your interview?
Also, any tips or bits of info that you found to be beneficial for the DMU interview?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Bearman70 said:
For those of you who have already interviewed at DMU, I have a question. Is there any one thing that you know now that you wish you knew at the time of your interview?
Also, any tips or bits of info that you found to be beneficial for the DMU interview?

Thanks

You could ask them how they monitor their students when their gone away for their 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations, since they don't have on site coordinators.

Bearman70 said:

Thanks

I wish I would have known how wonderfully they were going to treat me. I was filled with all kinds of schpiels and nervousness... and the interview day was an absolute pleasure. So, you're pretty much in for a treat! Relax, be real with them, and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bearman70 said:

Thanks

I went to DMU for an interview yesterday. The school itself is rather nice and I really liked the curriculum. There is a HUGE problem, however, with their financial aid department. Apparently whomever is in charge has not been there very long and the result is unneccessary financial strain being forced onto students who have a spouse and children.

Currently it seems that DMU's financial aid department is only paying attention to the first bullet point in section H of AAMC's publication located at http://www.aamc.org/students/financing/md2/phase1/pdf/phase1.iii.pdf which states that, "Student budgets are designed to cover the education-related expenses of the enrolled student only. Financial aid offices cannot draw up special budgets for students with spouses and dependents."

However, by reading all of the bullet points, bullet point four in particular, one can see that DMU's medical students who have spouses and children are not being fairly treated in the availability of funds available to them.

"The financial aid system assumes that the non-student parent will support the dependent children of an enrolled student. In cases where this support is not available, it may be possible to receive a budget increase. Policies on such increases vary from school to school. Extensive documentation of your circumstances will be required before any budget increase can be approved. Supporting a family on financial aid will add significantly to your debt."

I think it is fair to say that any student who is pursuing a career in medicine is well-educated and capable of making financial decision in his or her own best interest.

After getting nowhere with the financial aid office, in person, I withdrew my application and left prior to my personal interview. This was a really frustrating experience for me and I hope that it will not be repeated for others. I have already been accepted to four other medical schools but was hoping that DMU would be able to impress me. Best of luck to those of you who wish to attend DMU.

We have a quite a few people in our class who are married and with children some of whome have spouses that work some dont. I dont know how they do it. If any of you have questions about this call and ask the admissions people to get you in contact with one of them they might have some advice for you. Tlauric I'm sorry you wasted a trip out there, hopefully you'll have better luck else where.

I know people with children and spouses and they are able to work with your budget and your dependents. Of course this is dependent upon if you have children, spouses alone don't receive extra funding, but at all of the schools I applied to, this was the norm. The budget is based off of government funding and the school's proposed budget. Because tuition has continued to increase, as at any college/university, the government loans have not. That was one of the items we lobbied for last year at DO DAy on the Hill. I'm sorry you were frustrated with the fin. aid. dept., but I have always found these to be frustrating................