DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seap3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread for everyone interested in applying here this cycle. I just submitted my application and it is one of my top choices.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone planning on attending Discover DMU on June 30, from 2 to 5 p.m.?

I just finished my 1st year at DMU. If anyone has any questions now or down the road, don't hesitate to ask. I'll do the best I can to answer them. I'll be at Discover DMU, so I'll see some of you there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all. Almost have my application for DMU in. Just finishing up my PS and waiting on my transcripts from my post-bac year at VCOM. Pretty confident that I'll at least get an interview if not get in. I'm also applying to CCOM and KCUMB, but DMU is my #1.

Good luck to all of you!

Hello all. Almost have my application for DMU in. Just finishing up my PS and waiting on my transcripts from my post-bac year at VCOM. Pretty confident that I'll at least get an interview if not get in. I'm also applying to CCOM and KCUMB, but DMU is my #1.

Good luck to all of you!

Interesting that you did a postbac at VCOM yet you are not applying there. Could you please explain why?

I too am applying to DMU but I am having some reservations about the town. Anyone who has been there care to comment about what the town is like?

Interesting that you did a postbac at VCOM yet you are not applying there. Could you please explain why?

I too am applying to DMU but I am having some reservations about the town. Anyone who has been there care to comment about what the town is like?

About Des Moines...I think it depends on where you are from. I'm from a small town, so I think there's a lot to do here. However, some of my friends from Chicago think there's not much going on.

Here's my take: The downtown is pretty cool. There's lots of unique bars and places to hang out. When it's warm enough outside, there's lots of freebie golf courses, bike trails, and other things to do outside. But during school, you're not going to have too much time to do a lot of stuff anyways. But again, it really depends on where you are from and what your expectations of Des Moines are. If you come here thinking it's going to have all of the same things that a big city has, you'll probably be disappointed.

If you get an interview, there's a program at DMU where you can stay with a current student. If you like the school but are hesitant about the town, stay with a med student and force them to take you out after your interview. This might give you a better idea of the town.

DMU secondary came out today and there are not any essays, as predicted.

This isn't a chances post, just needed some advice. On the secondary app there's an option to hold your file until your next MCAT score comes out. I did re-take my MCAT but the score will only be out on July 20th. Should I hold it or not with my current 3.2 GPA (both) and 27Q? Basically I'm worried that the benefits of a perhaps slightly increased MCAT will not outweigh the cost of delaying the secondary 3 weeks (I think I'm currently in the first batch of secondary admits).

This isn't a chances post, just needed some advice. On the secondary app there's an option to hold your file until your next MCAT score comes out. I did re-take my MCAT but the score will only be out on July 20th. Should I hold it or not with my current 3.2 GPA (both) and 27Q? Basically I'm worried that the benefits of a perhaps slightly increased MCAT will not outweigh the cost of delaying the secondary 3 weeks (I think I'm currently in the first batch of secondary admits).

I don't think a 27 is that bad. ;)

I'd probably submit now, but that's because I'm impatient. The email did say it was best to have your file complete within 30 days, so I guess you might make that window depending on THx and AACOMAS updating your app quickly. A 27 is around their average (or is it median?), so I don't think it would hurt your app.

On another note - Does DMU really wait until all letters are in to review your app? I thought I read in old posts that some people got interview invites before without all the letters, and just had to have them by interview time. I will go dig through the old thread when I get a chance, but I thought someone might know. I'm waiting for one last letter from my DO, and he's super busy so I don't know how fast he can get to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a bit of a dilemma....any input would be greatly appreciated. I know DMU will accept either an MD or DO letter, but I'm sure a DO letter is preferred. The DO that I shadowed will probably write me a decent letter of recommendation, but she does not know me that well. There is an MD I have shadowed since high school (and continued to until recently), he knows me very well and I am confident he will write a great letter of recommendation. What would be more beneficial-sending in a decent DO letter or a great MD letter?

The letter from the person that knows you better will definitely be better. They have a question on the secondary that says "Have you been exposed to a D.O.?" and has a yes/no check box. I think that will be sufficient in your case because I'm sure they'll ask you about your experiences with the D.O. during interview.

I am in a similar boat as you with a 28 mcat and a gpa of 3.5. My second mcat score will come out on Aug 29th. I am personally not gonna hold my app till then. with both of our scores in the upper range of the competition for DO schools, but your gpa is a bit low so if you feel like you did good on the mcat maybe you would wanna wait it out a bit cuz dmu is a pretty good school and their average matriculant gpa is kinda high.

Yeah, that's why I feel like I have to compensate somehow. Not sure how much improvement there's gonna be though, came out of the test thinking it was extremely difficult. I decided to postpone the app in the end, though..

This threads been a little slow lately.

I thought I'd post about my recent phone call with DMU. I called to ask about extra LORs, and the woman I talked to on the phone was very nice. She said they prefer that you don't send in extra's but maybe 1 or 2 might be ok.

I was asking because I didn't really feel that the DOs I've shadowed could really answer the medical exposure letter suggestions very well since we aren't allowed to touch patients when shadowing at our hospital, but I have lots of other clinical exposure with patient care. Once I mentioned that, she said it would be fine to add an additional letter.

Can somebody post the secondary? I want start working on it soon

Can somebody post the secondary? I want start working on it soon

The secondary for this one has no essays also. just answering some basic questions about who you have shadowed and who are your letter writers.

I received the email today stating that my file is now complete. Anyone sure how good they are with the 30 day response?

I have a bit of a dilemma....any input would be greatly appreciated. I know DMU will accept either an MD or DO letter, but I'm sure a DO letter is preferred. The DO that I shadowed will probably write me a decent letter of recommendation, but she does not know me that well. There is an MD I have shadowed since high school (and continued to until recently), he knows me very well and I am confident he will write a great letter of recommendation. What would be more beneficial-sending in a decent DO letter or a great MD letter?

Go with the MD letter, it's not as big of a deal at DMU. A lot of people don't have a DO letter and are completely fine.

Good luck everybody, DMU is a great place!

just got a confirmation email saying they are gonna start reviewing file soon and got all my stuff....

When did you guys get DMU secondaries? My application was released to schools last week and I haven't heard anything back from DMU yet..

its been a while man got it i wanna say late june/early july
its a really quick one to fill out no essays!

I wonder when they'll start sending out interview invites. Looking at last years thread, there were already invites by this time.

I haven't gotten a complete email yet, but they should have received my last LOR yesterday. I'm getting impatient. :) I will feel a lot better when/if I start getting some interview invites.

Looks like the competition is going to be even stiffer for us. I read last years thread and it looks like they overfilled this years class and are offering scholarships to anyone who will defer until next year.

Less spots for us. :(

yeah this years class is supposedly overfilled by ~ 20 students...kind of disappointed since I'm on their waitlist...oh well :rolleyes:. So I'll be joining you all this cycle by the looks of it. DMU is an awesome school, hopefully this cycle treats me a little better :)

yeah this years class is supposedly overfilled by ~ 20 students...kind of disappointed since I'm on their waitlist...oh well :rolleyes:. So I'll be joining you all this cycle by the looks of it. DMU is an awesome school, hopefully this cycle treats me a little better :)
let us hope for the best

Looks like the competition is going to be even stiffer for us. I read last years thread and it looks like they overfilled this years class and are offering scholarships to anyone who will defer until next year.

Less spots for us. :(

From just an SDN P.O.V. it looks like overall last year was much stiffer, seemed like there has been very little movement.

Did anyone opt for any of the dual degree programs on the secondary? I saw the ones they had to offer and I'm really interested in the D.O./ Masters in Healthcare Administration degree. Does it look good/bad if you do choose one of the dual degree options?

Did anyone opt for any of the dual degree programs on the secondary? I saw the ones they had to offer and I'm really interested in the D.O./ Masters in Healthcare Administration degree. Does it look good/bad if you do choose one of the dual degree options?

It won't reflect good or bad, they'll probably just give you more information about the program or they just want to see what the interest level is. Don't worry!

Anyone else really interested in the Rural pathway?

I am being incredibly impatient now..When the heck are they going to hand out interviews????!!!!:confused:

I am being incredibly impatient now..When the heck are they going to hand out interviews????!!!!:confused:

Yeah...it looks like last year by this time they had already sent out the first invites....they're probably still occupied with getting people from this years class to defer. I wish they were busy with taking people off the waitlist as I too am a victim of this years alternate list but...here's to hoping for good things this cycle. :) But I would love for an early interview invite and hope we start hearing back from them soon. They were so systematic last year and really stuck to their time estimates and deadlines for the most part so I imagine they'll resume this once this cycle starts up.

Sorry for the late response. I just recently got married and everything got tossed to the wayside, including my application, and now I feel extremely behind with my life. Anyway, the postbac was a good experience, but there was just a lot of small things that deterred me from attending. I had a seat but wanted to take a year off to get married and what not. Also, I'm from CO, and VA was just too far away from friends and family. The school is great, especially with mission trips (spent a week in Honduras), but they are changing a lot. VT just opened up a med school an hour away, and VCOM is opening a satellite in SC. Blacksburg is also pretty small and not near a big city. Also, while I was there the curriculum director up and quit mid-cycle, not sure why, but didn't take that as a good sign. Again, a good school, but just too many little things and they didn't seemed to be progressing faster than they could keep up with.

Now if I could only focus and finish my PS to get my app in!!!:(

Received notice that my file is complete and will have a decision whether I get an interview within 30 days. They were pretty good with their time estimates last year, so I assume it won't be too long before I hear back. After interviewing and seeing this school last year, I really hope I get it this year.:)

Received notice that my file is complete and will have a decision whether I get an interview within 30 days. They were pretty good with their time estimates last year, so I assume it won't be too long before I hear back. After interviewing and seeing this school last year, I really hope I get it this year.:)

I just received the complete email too. :xf:

Same here..I hope we will get their interviews soon! :p

Come on DMU!!!! Where are those interview invites? :confused: It seems like they should be starting any time now.

I had a dream the other night that they sent me an email that said they were pleased to NOT be considering me at this time. I hope that wasn't an omen. :laugh:

Come on DMU!!!! Where are those interview invites? :confused: It seems like they should be starting any time now.

I had a dream the other night that they sent me an email that said they were pleased to NOT be considering me at this time. I hope that wasn't an omen. :laugh:

Yeah, I just checked my email this morning, nothing from DMU yet :( I think they should start handing out interview invites this week..We will see..!!! :D

o man, in that case i only have 10 days left to hear if im gonna be rejected or invited. when does DMU in general hand out interviews?

o man, in that case i only have 10 days left to hear if im gonna be rejected or invited. when does DMU in general hand out interviews?

They started handing out interview invites in mid-July last year. I don't know why it takes them this long this year :(

Last edited:
I would say that they're probably behind because admissions had to get people to defer from this year to next. Maybe they're adjusting their admissions criteria to prevent this from happening again because they were over by ~20 students which is quite a bit. I would guess maybe late this week/next week some people may start to hear back, but who knows. They were good with their deadlines last year, but its still early.

Hey guys! I went and took a tour of DMU and met with an admissions coordinator. They stated that they are dealing with their new first years, and that they should be sending out interview invites next week or the week after. You'll have access to their scheduling website where you can pick your interview date within a month! Goodluck all!

Hey guys! I went and took a tour of DMU and met with an admissions coordinator. They stated that they are dealing with their new first years, and that they should be sending out interview invites next week or the week after. You'll have access to their scheduling website where you can pick your interview date within a month! Goodluck all!

Ahhhhh, good to know!!!! DMU is one of my top choices! Keep my fingers crossed! :xf:

Ahhhhh, good to know!!!! DMU is one of my top choices! Keep my fingers crossed! :xf:

I just moved from California to Omaha and decided to visit the campus. It's a bit small but it's amazing! The school and program seem fantastic, this is definitely a top choice of mine too. Really nice students too! Good luck!