DMU good or bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mill_z

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the story with Des Moines University for osteopathic? Is it a good choice? What type of school (more philisophical or more scientific) is it? Any nearby choices that would be better?

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard good things aobut its rotation sites. And their tuition is a little cheaper than other private schools. If I was applying to schools it would be one of my top choices.

What do you mean: philosophical or scientific?

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools teach the philosophy of osteopathic medicine stronger (i've heard Kirksvilled is one) and some schools don't stress on the philosophy as much (i guess that's what i mean by the scientific for lack of better terms).

The reason I ask is because I used to go to Palmer College of Chiropractic and it's a very philosophical school where while National was more of an evidence based school.

DMU is definately one of the best DO schools. They are particularly well recognized for their emphasis on OMT and primary care, and they have exceedingly high match rates (last year 95% of their students got their first or second choice residency, according to their office of admissions).

I think that we stress the strengths of osteopathy. Because we are KCOM's first offspring, meaning the second oldest school, we are very heavily into OMT. However that doesn't mean that we don't prepare you to be a good clinician. We stress more on how you can incorporate OMT into your practice in modern day and how you can use these as practical modicums of care. Our research department is up and coming and looks to be exciting. If you are secretly asking if we shove the edicts of osteopathy down your throat, I would say that all students don't feel that DMU does this. We have a lot of free thinkers here that are ready to shape osteopathy according to a new generation, like many other schools; however we feel that OMM is very valuable and should still be utilized by every DO.

If you want to know more specifics, you should do a search because this has already been discussed.

Some high points of why I chose this school over others:

--didactic, systems based training
--technology
--OMT department
--friendly staff and professors
--location and cost of living
--ability to get a good rotation of which they help you set it up
--good and varied residency placement
--opportunity to get my masters at the same time (MHA/MPH)