Dmu Interview!!!!!! *Merged Edition*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

albaniandoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an interview invite at DMU. I haven't even send in my LORs yet.
September 15 is the day. Talk about birthday present.
Does any know how to properly pronounce Des Moines. I don't want to have a Spinal Tap moment.
Yeah baby, yeah

Members don't see this ad.

onmywayRN said:
Does any know how to properly pronounce Des Moines. I don't want to have a Spinal Tap moment.
Yeah baby, yeah

Congrats! Thats wonderful! How did you hear--email, phone, snail mail?

onmywayRN said:
Yeah baby, yeah

I got an invite for the 14th.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview for the 15th too! (by email)

I got the invite by email today.

LittleriRich said:

Damn you, you over achievers. Just kidding. Good luck to you as well.

so DMU invites without LORs...probably for those with higher MCATS....

I got an email saying they recieved my secondary yesterday, even though i submitted it online last friday as soon as it was available.

I hope i get an interview too but i got a 23, but my other stuff is strong and they should have gotten my LORs too by now i imagine.

I heard DMU had some off-campus interviews last year, including some in Portland OR, which would be much more convenient for me. I think I'll call and ask.

LittleriRich said:

I received an interview invite today as well. I am scheduled for the 14th, but am asking to be re-scheduled to the 15th.

Edit: I just received confirmation that I have been rescheduled for the 15th.

I just got an email saying my application is complete yesterday... so I really hope I got an email like all you guys too. I have a 32 MCAT :luck:

For those with invites, when did you get the e-mail saying your app was complete? Mine was submitted Sunday, complete yesterday (excluding letters). Really hoping for an invite to bring some excitement to my day...had my wisdom teeth out yesterday, so I've been pretty bored.

DRKUBA said:
I just got an email saying my application is complete yesterday... so I really hope I got an email like all you guys too. I have a 32 MCAT :luck:
i have feeling you will get one...
And gongrats to everyone!!! Rock those interviews guys..
I will be applying there next year so maybe i will get to meet ya all ;) couse of course you all will get in :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to ya'll! DMU is one sweet school. I'll see you around the halls. I'll be the one walking funny...oh wait, we all will. :laugh:
Gotta love the first year!! :eek:

I also got an interview on the 09-14, LOR must be sent to the school by your interview time for them to evaluate you.
:D

jillibean said:
I heard DMU had some off-campus interviews last year, including some in Portland OR, which would be much more convenient for me. I think I'll call and ask.

My advise would be to make the trip to campus. The facilities are one of the things that really caught me off guard. Pictures can't do it justice. In addition, on these interviews you need to pull aside students and talk to them. Get a feel for how they interact with each other and how happy they are. Find out if the place really is a fit for you. That is important. So my 2 cents... go to the school to interview. DMU, or any other school for that matter. You need to make an educated decision.

I just got an email from DMU saying they are still waiting for my letters to arrive....however, I gotta admit im worried because I noticed some of you getting interview invites from DMU without your letters even being in.

for those of you who are interviewing @ DMU what are youre GPA and MCAT scores? (If you dont mind sharing)

DMU is one of my top choice schools, is there anything else I can do to let them know my desire to attend that school at this point?

onmywayRN said:
Yeah baby, yeah

Yeah! me too! It's weird because I sent my secondary yesterday and then received an interview invite today saying they wanted to invite me before my secondary and lors are in. I should probably confirm with them that they received my secondary.

I love their secondary since it doesn't include an essay.

CuttinEmUp said:
I just got an email from DMU saying they are still waiting for my letters to arrive....however, I gotta admit im worried because I noticed some of you getting interview invites from DMU without your letters even being in.

for those of you who are interviewing @ DMU what are youre GPA and MCAT scores? (If you dont mind sharing)

DMU is one of my top choice schools, is there anything else I can do to let them know my desire to attend that school at this point?

Same here! I just got the e-mail yesterday late afternoon that they received my secondaries...I requested that my prehealth office send out the material last friday---so hopefully I can get an interview!
I'm checking my e-mail like crazy!

Rachael07 said:
Same here! I just got the e-mail yesterday late afternoon that they received my secondaries...I requested that my prehealth office send out the material last friday---so hopefully I can get an interview!
I'm checking my e-mail like crazy!

Me too..im incessantly checking my emails -- is DMU one of ur top choices?

OMG, i wish I had never read this thread... I have checked my email at pace of like 100 times an hour since this morning :eek: . THis is ridiculous!

What did you/are you going to put in the DMU Comments/additional information section?
I was thinking i would comment on how it was my number 1 choice, facilities and other reasons why it was my # 1 choice.

Also, is anyone else worried about being convicted on a misdeamor many years ago having a negative effect on your chances?

Thanks.

neuro920 said:
What did you/are you going to put in the DMU Comments/additional information section?
I was thinking i would comment on how it was my number 1 choice, facilities and other reasons why it was my # 1 choice.

Also, is anyone else worried about being convicted on a misdeamor many years ago having a negative effect on your chances?

Thanks.

I didn't put anything in the comments. Was that bad? Oh well. I already have an interview.

Great job everyone!!! I'm really excited about the next couple of months when interviews start happening. I've only sent out one complete secondary (DMU of course). I can't wait (crossing fingers) for interview invites to come. Man oh man i can't wait. Congrats to everyone and hope to see some of you guys there. Good luck. practice those interviews!!

After reviewing their website I am seriously considering adding it to my designations list on AACOMAS. Only think holding me back is the fact thats its in Des Moines. I have gone to college in a big city and lived in NYC all my life, so I dont know if the location will suit me. Although, if you guys have any info about the area I would definitely like to hear it so that I can decide to put it in my list.

CuttinEmUp said:
Me too..im incessantly checking my emails -- is DMU one of ur top choices?

its prob like #6 or 7 for me, but I would LOVE to interview there!!

You guys are going to love this school! The facilites, faculty, and staff are incredible, by far the best of all the schools I interviewed at. ~good luck :thumbup:

DRKUBA,

I ur fellow 7/22 aacomas guy did not get any interviews today...I think I just got complete at a few places or will be complete at a few more by early next week. Did you get any invites?

I did not get a DMU or NSU invite yet, but there is lots of time as those who got the invites were probably in the first 2 or three batches and ours was batch 3 or 4 so.... they are probably going in order.

ps i was depressed that i didnt even get one email today too!

good luck

vmgopal said:
DRKUBA,

I ur fellow 7/22 aacomas guy did not get any interviews today...I think I just got complete at a few places or will be complete at a few more by early next week. Did you get any invites?

I did not get a DMU or NSU invite yet, but there is lots of time as those who got the invites were probably in the first 2 or three batches and ours was batch 3 or 4 so.... they are probably going in order.

ps i was depressed that i didnt even get one email today too!

good luck

Yea, you may be right with the batches. But I assumed they might go in the order that the file became complete, and I was complete within the first few possible days. Hopefully Monday is the day. As far as other schools, DMU is the only one I am complete at(other than NYCOM.) I am slowly working on secondaries since my DO letter is a little behind. Have to get that docs butt in gear.

onmywayRN said:
Yeah baby, yeah

lol...i would think you were kidding about pronunciation, but i know so many people who say its wrong i'll humor you anyway.

just don't say either "s"

say it like its spelled, but leave out the s: DEs MOINEs

I was at an interview at UT - Galveston when my phone started buzzing. I looked and it was an interview invite from DMU - (my email is sent to my phone). Here is the first part:

"Welcome to Des Moines University’s fasTrack application process! After a review of your AACOMAS application, the Admission Committee at Des Moines University’s College of Osteopathic Medicine would like to extend an invitation to you to join us for an on-campus interview. Because of your competitive qualifications, we encourage you to schedule your interview day at DMU even before you complete your application for admission! Your supplemental application and letters of recommendation will be due by your scheduled interview date. We would like you to interview with us ...."

Has anyone called / emailed to re-schedule @ DMU? I have a phone screen with Mayo that same day that I have already rescheduled once and I don't want to re-schedule again.

EDIT: I recently turned in my secondary so I was suprised the email said to complete the secondary before the interview. Maybe just a timing thing. Also who are the major flight carriers @ Des Moines?

jbone said:
Good luck to ya'll! DMU is one sweet school. I'll see you around the halls. I'll be the one walking funny...oh wait, we all will. :laugh:
Gotta love the first year!! :eek:
Way to go everyone! Don't fret over the MCATs now, just nail the interview. Of and I will be the naked one, cuz its fun.

Rachael07 said:
its prob like #6 or 7 for me, but I would LOVE to interview there!!
That is what I thought, after 5 acceptances, I traveled 1000 miles from PA in a UHAUL, moved away from family and a gf of 4+ years. Why, because the school rocks. You, need to see it for yourself. It went quickly to the top of my list.

Nah, I am not american and I had never heard it pronounced before. I had an idea but did not want to make an ass out of myself.
So am I your man Mr. *******. The name is Dumass.

bsimon said:
lol...i would think you were kidding about pronunciation, but i know so many people who say its wrong i'll humor you anyway.

Y_Marker said:
Also who are the major flight carriers @ Des Moines?

http://www.dsmairport.com/Travel_Info/Airline_Info.htm

There is the airport site. I flew Northwest Air from Utah for my interview. There are often cheaper flights to Omaha(~2 hours drive) or Kansas City(~2.5 hours), but then you need to rent a car. For me the hastle and price of rental were enough for me to pay a little more to get right into Des Moines. However, my wife just flew to canada and found the cheapest ticket straight from Des Moines. It's random... I don't understand airline prices really. Good luck. Des Moines and the school are awesome. See you folks around.

onmywayRN said:
Nah, I am not american and I had never heard it pronounced before. I had an idea but did not want to make an ass out of myself.
So am I your man Mr. *******. The name is Dumass.

that's awesome that you thought to ask...i'm from a neighboring state so i think its a little ridiculous when people who should definitely know better say it wrong.

good luck at your interview, you'll like it here!

misparas said:
http://www.dsmairport.com/Travel_Info/Airline_Info.htm

There is the airport site. I flew Northwest Air from Utah for my interview. There are often cheaper flights to Omaha(~2 hours drive) or Kansas City(~2.5 hours), but then you need to rent a car. For me the hastle and price of rental were enough for me to pay a little more to get right into Des Moines. However, my wife just flew to canada and found the cheapest ticket straight from Des Moines. It's random... I don't understand airline prices really. Good luck. Des Moines and the school are awesome. See you folks around.

How do you get around town without a rental? Shuttle service / public transportation??

Also when was your deposit due?

I'm concerned about getting into town too late the night before since they start their interview day early.

Y_Marker said:
How do you get around town without a rental? Shuttle service / public transportation??

I'm concerned about getting into town too late the night before since they start their interview day early.

They give you a list of hotels to stay in and a few of them (Savory Arms and Harland are the two I know of) have a free shuttle service to and from the Airport and school. Also, the savory arms is right in the middle of down town Des Moines. The deposit was due, if I can remember correctly, as either a straight payment of 1,000 or you could break it up into, I believe, four payments. The cool thing is that you can pay for it with a credit card. I know the one thing that bugged about a few of the schools I was accepted at was you got the letter and a note saying, please pay 2000 within 7 days, no credit cards are accepted. So you are just expected to **** out 2 grand and be happy with it.

Y_Marker said:

I stayed at the Renaissance Savory Hotel downtown and they had a shuttle to and from the airport and to and from the school. A rental car would have been nice to have for exploring the area. However, I didn't think I'd like the school as much as I did. So my wife and I drove up from Kirksville after I interviewed there.

The total deposit is $1000. If you are accepted before December, you have until mid december to come up with just $500. The next $500 isn't due until March or April, if I remember right.

I rented a car and stayed at the hearland inn (by the airport).
A rental car is the only way to go. I was able to explore the city and became really familiar with the school and the city. Best of luck.
And don't forget sammy jacks. misparas knows what I'm talkin about!

jbone said:
And don't forget sammy jacks. misparas knows what I'm talkin about!

Hungry? I'll see you there tommorow from 11AM-2PM!

I think that bone thugs is right about the car. If I could do it again, I would have stayed an extra day with a rental car.

Thanks all! I like the fact that I'll have till December to pay $500. Plus the acceptance (or rejection) is usually within a week or so after the interview, right?

Y_Marker said:
Thanks all! I like the fact that I'll have till December to pay $500. Plus the acceptance (or rejection) is usually within a week or so after the interview, right?
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Yes. In most cases. Good luck and I hope to see you here soon!!

I would stay with a student for your interview if you can. They will probably send you a list of students that will allow you stay with them, so check it out. That's what I did and I had a goo time cause you can just pick their brains about DMU and med school in general.

bsimon said:

Silent letters, eh...
I've never heard a compelling argument for silent letters.

Just got my secondary from DMU. Time to get to work on it! :)

good luck everyone!

Here is a quick question:
What percentage of applicants that complete the secondary applications are invited for interview?
And out of that percentage of applicants that interview how many get accepted ?
For example when I asked a LECOM AdCom was told that they had roughly 1500 applicants, and 450 interviews for 80 students in the incoming class