DMU Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corona 247

SDN Angel
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently have been invited for a interview at DMU. I wanted to ask all you who have interviewed there:

How was it? What type of questions did they ask? Any pieces of adivise that would help me in the interview?

I would greatly appreciate any help you can lend me?

Also, does anyone know where I can look to find a comparison of DO residency matching per DO schools? - How do diff. grads of the various DO schools rank in regard to quality residency programs?

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

corona,

I'm a first year medical student at DMU. I'll say good luck to you first; congrats on getting the interview. The next thing to do is to relax. The DMU interview is extremely laid back in comparrison to other schools. You are not being examined the entire day (only in the interview) so don't be worried about having to be on the ball the entire day impressing every single person that you meet here. With that said, you should still be professional and friendly!! (just like any other interview)

I don't know what they will ask you, but I can tell you what they asked me. Be prepared to tell them why you chose to apply to DMU, why you want to become a doctor, what your talents and drawbacks are, etc. These are fairly standard questions that can be asked in different ways. For example, I was asked the following, "How would a friend describe you?" I answered by touching on my strengths and weaknesses and how I am dealing with those weaknesses.

I am almost 100% sure that they would never ask you something like "what is the 4th step of the Krebs cycle?" I think that they look for more of what type of person you are (personality, attitude, values).

My main advice is to be relaxed and be yourself. The ambassadors will be telling you this throughout the day, it's hard to believe them but it is true. Good luck to you, I hope this helps.
Any additional questions, just post them.

-Cuthbert

Do you think that with a March 11th interview there would be hope of getting into DMU?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi...congrats on getting an interview :thumbup:

I interviewed there in Jan and was accepted:D

I would say to wear comfortable walking shoes and eat breakfast...even if you don't normally.

I am on a specialized diet due to having cancer (yeah it sucks, but I try not to dwell) and it was a long morning.

I have to say that it is a very well put together day and the students and staff make the day very low stress so that you don't get worked up over the actual interview. Which isn't until after lunch. Keeping that in mind take some gum or mouthwash...that way you don't feel as if you are breathing your food on your interviewers ( I actually asked for some gum because I felt a little akward about the whole "eat and interview" thing).

The questions are lowkey, even though the panel set-up (3:1) made me initally a little nervous. In fact the two that made me think the hardest were:

1) With the aging population what proportion of your future patients do you expect to be geriatric, even if you don't specialize in geriatrics? I took a moment to think and said 40%...which got a good response from the student that had asked me.

2) If you find yourself in a situation where you are doing poorly in one of your classes, what are the steps you would take to increase your likelihood of passing/increasing your scores? I had never had a question like this so I winged it and said study groups, getting extra notes...blah blah.

Hope that this helps.

Originally posted by dancinjenn
2) If you find yourself in a situation where you are doing poorly in one of your classes, what are the steps you would take to increase your likelihood of passing/increasing your scores? I had never had a question like this so I winged it and said study groups, getting extra notes...blah blah.

Ah yes, that is a popular question! We just want to hear that you know how to get help and that you have no problem with asking for help, and that you're not the type to sit back and self-destruct. That was a perfectly fine answer :)

DMU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and have lots of fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!