DMU interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmd2010

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else get an email invite for the month of january? I'm interviewing on the 26th...

So what have you guys heard about dmu? what are the facilities like? match lists? curriculum? anyone else have any ideas or tips for the interview... please help!!! thanks so much...

Members don't see this ad.

docmd2010 said:
Anyone else get an email invite for the month of january? I'm interviewing on the 26th...

So what have you guys heard about dmu? what are the facilities like? match lists? curriculum? anyone else have any ideas or tips for the interview... please help!!! thanks so much...

I interviewed there on 11/17 (and got accepted today-- :horns: WOOT WOOT!! :horns: ). The facilities are fantastic--brand new comfortable building, great hang-out areas, good gym, labs are very impressive, and the classrooms are, well classrooms. It's a small campus, only 22 acres with only 1300 students. The students are the friendlies group of people I've ever met; very chummy community feeling. Curriculum is pretty standard, but pack your bags for your clinical years, because you probably won't stay in Des Moines, you'll go out of state unless you have wife and kids.

Interview advice? This school is BIG on OMT--know about it, expect to be asked about it. If you're not interested in OMT, don't go to the interview, they'll see right through a fake answer. One of my interviewers (a DO) voiced her disappointment in me never having RECEIVED OMM. Expect to be asked "Why DO?" Interviews are pretty short and my interviewers prided themselves on not asking the typical difficult questions (e.g., ethical questions, or major societal/medical issues in our country). The interviews are pretty laid back, don't stress out about it.

One more thing: Des Moines is small, and COLD. Pack accordingly. You won't go outside during your interview day because all the buildings are connected via underground tunnels.

Good Luck. :thumbup: Let me know if I can help you anymore.

LusuR said:
I interviewed there on 11/17 (and got accepted today-- :horns: WOOT WOOT!! :horns: ). The facilities are fantastic--brand new comfortable building, great hang-out areas, good gym, labs are very impressive, and the classrooms are, well classrooms. It's a small campus, only 22 acres with only 1300 students. The students are the friendlies group of people I've ever met; very chummy community feeling. Curriculum is pretty standard, but pack your bags for your clinical years, because you probably won't stay in Des Moines, you'll go out of state unless you have wife and kids.

Interview advice? This school is BIG on OMT--know about it, expect to be asked about it. If you're not interested in OMT, don't go to the interview, they'll see right through a fake answer. One of my interviewers (a DO) voiced her disappointment in me never having RECEIVED OMM. Expect to be asked "Why DO?" Interviews are pretty short and my interviewers prided themselves on not asking the typical difficult questions (e.g., ethical questions, or major societal/medical issues in our country). The interviews are pretty laid back, don't stress out about it.

One more thing: Des Moines is small, and COLD. Pack accordingly. You won't go outside during your interview day because all the buildings are connected via underground tunnels.

Good Luck. :thumbup: Let me know if I can help you anymore.

Hello lusur! thanks so much for replying. Wow, i'm excited to go interview! So will you be going to dmu med? sounds like a real cool campus. i heard that it's pretty tough to get into, so i'm honored to get an interview. do you have a choice of where you want to go for your clinicals? Also, did you live with a student at dmu or at a hotel? i'm debating on what i should do...how far is the campus from the airport? thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey docmd2010,
Let me help you out with your questions...I'm a 2nd year at DMU...
Very quickly... unfortunately LusuR is mistaken about rotations...many people are able to stay in Des Moines for rotations, etc... you can go almost anywhere (Iowa, Minnesota, Idaho, Wyoming, Missouri, Michigan, Ohio, Philadelphia, Florida) etc....and many many places for residency as well. HOwever, LusuR is right about most everything else...we ARE friendly...AND quite chummy :D
Other recommendations on your questions... stay with a student. Its the best information you'll ever get...and the most honest. I actually have an interviewee staying with me tonight...we went out to dinner with friends, talked about the interview...etc. Plus, you can get special help with questions because many 2nd years (including myself) actually are part of the interview team.
And as for your other question, the DMU campus is about 15 minutes north of the airport. Its very easy to get to...
Good luck in January!

DMU will be the place to be next year. I'm excited. Good luck with your interview, you will love it. Maybe I'll see y'all next year. Good luck. :horns:

Im interviewing there next week! Yay! :thumbup: