DMU Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

look4wisdom

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont feel like the interview was bad but I also dont feel like I really nailed it. Is this a common feeling post interview? One of my interviewers while not hostile wasn't overly friendly, kinda cold and indifferent. I didnt get any of the questions that was listed on interview feedback site. They just asked some questions about my missions work and my ascent of everest. The cold interviewer asked if I thought med school was just another notch on my belt like a mountain. Ouch. That kinda challenged me. Lasted about 40 minutes them I was free to leave.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't imagine a rough interview here, all the faculty are awesome. Who where your interviewers?

By the way, who is interviewing on 9-13? I will be one of the host/tour guides feel free to PM me.

I understand how difficult it is to leave a medical school interview and feel like you didn't make a good impression. I think you have an advantage in that you were in one of the first interview groups and therefore, you have a better shot of getting in. I had an interview last year in Feb at another school and it was the worst experience I could have ever imagined. But when all was said and done, I got in. I encourage you to stay strong and optimistic. I love DMU and I hope you did too. Good luck and I hope I see you here next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview wasn't rough. My perception was that I just dont feel good about it thats all. I dont want to name the interviewers I had. I was very impressed with the school. I would go to DMU. I think they offer an exciting opportunity for medical education. The facilities and technology was awsume. I guess thats why im stressing over the interview, id really like to get in.

I dont feel like the interview was bad but I also dont feel like I really nailed it. Is this a common feeling post interview?...

The problem with interviews is that people sometimes think they had a "good" interview because there was good rapport, it was relaxed, a few jokes were exchanged and everyone got along splendidly. While that may have been a good social experience, it may not have been a "good interview." In my past life I interviewed hundreds of people for the company I worked for. There were quite a few people I interviewed that I thought could be really good friends and was tempted to ask them if they wanted to stop by the bar and catch a beer on the way home-- but I never would have hired them as an employee. For an employee, I was looking for something different.

Medical school interviews can be that way too. What YOU think was a "good" interview can be a "bad" one to them because they were looking for something different.

The point is that it is almost impossible to determine whether or not you made a good or bad impression. You'll hear stories on SDN this year about people who really thought they "nailed" the interview but didn't get accepted, and they'll be really upset about it. They'll scream and yell about, "How could I not get accepted because my interviewer loved me so much he practically told me he wanted to adopt me?" You'll hear just as many stories about people who showed up two hours late, had their phone ring twice (and answered it) and vomitted on the interviewer's shoes-- yet, they got accepted.

Just forget about the whole thing right now. It's way out of your hands by now and you can make yourself sick just thinking about it. Forget it and enjoy the rest of the interview season. :luck::luck::luck:

The facilities and technology was awesome. I guess thats why im stressing over the interview, id really like to get in.

Too bad they dont show the anatomy lab. Let me break it down.....Long rectangular room broken into 4-5 sections, each section has like 8 bodies, a professor and a couple of lab TA's. At every body/station there is a 32 inch flat panel tv hooked up to the lab manual, but also switches to live video of one professor performing the dissection.

Another nice thing about DMU is that for every major subject we have like 5+ professors so you can always get assistance.

Too bad they dont show the anatomy lab. Let me break it down.....Long rectangular room broken into 4-5 sections, each section has like 8 bodies, a professor and a couple of lab TA's. At every body/station there is a 32 inch flat panel tv hooked up to the lab manual, but also switches to live video of one professor performing the dissection.

Another nice thing about DMU is that for every major subject we have like 5+ professors so you can always get assistance.

Toohotinvegas....don't forget about the Xbox 360's and PS3's hooked up to the LCD's in the labs...T minus 17 days

I dont feel like the interview was bad but I also dont feel like I really nailed it. Is this a common feeling post interview? One of my interviewers while not hostile wasn't overly friendly, kinda cold and indifferent. I didnt get any of the questions that was listed on interview feedback site. They just asked some questions about my missions work and my ascent of everest. The cold interviewer asked if I thought med school was just another notch on my belt like a mountain. Ouch. That kinda challenged me. Lasted about 40 minutes them I was free to leave.
I think the people who walk out of a medical school interview feeling like they nailed it is a pretty slim group of applicants. No worries though, from what I've been told by some higher-ups in the administration the screening process to merely get to the interview stage is pretty stringent. If you made it this far you have a pretty good chance. Just out of curiosity who were your interviewers?

Toohotinvegas....don't forget about the Xbox 360's and PS3's hooked up to the LCD's in the labs...T minus 17 days

You know we have access to that lab up to like 12 pm. We could throw a crazy Wii party in that biach. It has like 20+ monitors? 10 vs 10 halo tournament and no split screen! :idea:

Oh where are my manners, excuse me

:hijacked:

Hey, look4wisdom, Don't worry about it. Interviews dont have any set questions, & thus you shouldn't assume you "did badly" just because all your interviewers weren't friendly. I had 1 tough interviewer during my interview last year, which kind of scared me about the process, but I've gotten to know him better now that I'm actually a student here, & he's such a kind and supportive person (kind of makes me laugh at myself for coming to premature conclusions). Sometimes one of the interviewers just puts on a tough act to see how you respond to the stress. Just relax & be assured if you did your best & if you were honest, I'm sure they were able to see that. Good luck & hopefully we'll see you here next week.
Lastly, TOOHOTINVEGAS, why are you stealing the pre- med forums? shouldn't you be learning some anatomy of BM right now? J/K by the way, thanks for being supportive on our class thread- I really appreciate having such wonderful classmates :)

To the OP. Dont worry, I thought I did bad in my Touro-NV interview. Seriously, I lost sleep over it and I kept going over the experience in my mind over and over again. My interview performance (I thought) was definitely sub par and I got accepted there. For your future interviews just be yourself and dont lie or tell them what you think they want to hear and youll be A ok. :thumbup:

Hey thanks to all the positive responses. I was definitely myself and honest. Really the majority of my interview focused on my mountaineering career. They said they couldn't remember ever interviewing a climber before. And I have made some impressive ascents, Everest, K2, Kilamanjaro, Cho Oy, Denali as well as guiding these peaks so I guess it would not be strange for them to focus on something unique. I think I have just been over analyzing and playing the shoulda, woulda, coulda game. I have other interviews upcoming so I will just try not to sweat it. Good Luck and best wishes to everyone else applying this year....

That is awesome that you've climbed Everest and K2, etc.! Wow. I'm not surprised that interviewers would want to talk about it, because I sure would. That is really very cool. I wish I had something really interesting to talk about at my interviews coming up this week. Good luck on your future interviews!