• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

DMU... need advice

robo77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
    I am thinking about putting down a deposit at DMU, but would like to get some information about the school from people who have experienced DMU or who have heard things about the school which may be of help to me. Is this a good school, will I be getting good education there? I know that medical school is what one makes of it, but I also know that some schools established better reputation than others. Please advice

robkoller

Bugman
    15+ Year Member
    Jan 24, 2004
      I currently work in the emergency room with 3 doc's who graduated from DMU. Not only do they really know their "stuff", they are very good and personable doctors. I was accepted to DMU for the class 2009 and will be attending there this fall. The school has a excellent rep and great resources.

About the Ads

robo77

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jul 7, 2004
        what state are you from ? I am thinking that I will also be attending, maybe we could exchange some info. have you looked into apartment situation around the school?

robkoller said:
        I currently work in the emergency room with 3 doc's who graduated from DMU. Not only do they really know their "stuff", they are very good and personable doctors. I was accepted to DMU for the class 2009 and will be attending there this fall. The school has a excellent rep and great resources.

DOitright

Sprinting downhill!
        10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Oct 23, 2004
        Urbandale, IA
        1. Medical Student
          I will be attending DMU in the fall...and am very comfortable with my decision!!! I felt very comfortable at my interview and feel that I will be able to "make the most" of my med school experience at DMU! I went down to Des Moines this past weekend, and really liked the area! I met with another '09er and a couple '08ers...all were great people!!!

G'luck making your choice!! I think DMU would be a great choice!

; )

Maybe cya in the fall!

J

robo77

10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Jul 7, 2004
            They told us that it usually takes about 2 weeks to hear of your post interview status. in reality it may take a little less than that, they email you as soon as they get back their files in admissions office, the only hold up is when dean has to review the files and make final confirmations.

fortunefaded said:
            I was just wondering how long it took to get accepted after your interviews. Just curious because I interview at DMU soon. Thanks

robo77

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Jul 7, 2004
              There is too much going on in that forum, maybe we could just turn this one into a new forum. We could post where we are from and age and sex and all that stuff. I actually have not seen much of geographic info from future DMU people and dying to see where people are coming from (secretly hoping that there will be some from the coast).

Munchkin6245 said:
              For all the new '09 DMUers, come to the osteopathic forum and check out our C/O '09 thread! Congrats and welcome!

robkoller

Bugman
              15+ Year Member
              Jan 24, 2004
                I am 42, male and married. I am from Colorado and currently work as a RN in an emergency room in Colorado Springs. I graduated from Univ of Colorado w/ a BS in Biology. I applied to 3 schools (DMU, CCOM and PCOM), interviewed at 2 (DMU and CCOM) and was accpeted at both. It took a little less than 2 weeks to hear back from DMU.

DMU was my first choice due in large part to the positive comments I had heard from current and former students (there seems to be a genuine satisfaction/upbeatness from these students with regards to the DMU program and staff). Also I have encountered a number of docs who had graduated from DMU with whom I was very impressed with. As I posted earlier I work with 3 docs in the ER who graduated from there. When I worked up in Denver I met an ER dept head and a 1st year FP resident both from DMU, both very good docs with very positive comments about the school and the opportunities it provided.

I look forward to meeting everyone this Summer in Des Moines!

MsEvolution

10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                2+ Year Member
                7+ Year Member
                Jun 9, 2004
                Iowa
                1. Attending Physician
                  I'm 34, female, and single. I have three kids and still raising two of them (one is married, going to college, and living in Fla.).

I live in WA--my home for the last 12 years. But I've been all over the place. Was born in Chicago, have lived in Los Angeles, Guadalajara, Puebla, Merida, Orizaba, Veracruz, Miami. Have been to Honduras, Kentucky, Tennessee. Have driven (twice!) from the tip of Fla. to Seattle--once in 4 days... my kids learned to read maps and be copilots VERY quickly. :)

I have a BA in Anthropology from the University of Washington. I graduated 7 years ago and since I've worked in the manufacturing/distribution field. Not my thing, but it kept food on the table and a roof over our heads.

I threw DMU in my app mix simply because of the location... I'm not into hot weather. They captured my heart, though! They are the only institution so far that has given me a feeling of being recognized and appreciated for who I am, for my personal experiences, and for the quality that they will add to my practice.

I'm excited to meet you all, too!!

Munchkin6245

7+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Feb 28, 2004
                  WDM
                  1. Medical Student
                    Robkoller - did you interview on 10/7? I think we interviewed on the same day. I was the only person there from TX, or anywhere south of Colorado, everyone else was from the northern states. I remember a guy who was an RN in the ER in my group, so I thought I'd ask.

DO it right

7+ Year Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Oct 23, 2003
                      I don't think you could go wrong with DMU. Its really a great school. I see DMU as one of those schools that want to be on top of everything. In terms of resources and support, DMU seems to be on the upscale of all DO schools. They care alot about the personality of their class...so if you're admitted, convince yourself that you'll be a good fit. I honestly haven't heard that many complaints about the school. At the end its all about what you feel, you only get to do it once, so do it the way your heart desires it. Here's some info about myself:

21 yr old Persian male
                      from california...haha..it will be fun getting used to snow..but I think my car will have a lot more problems than I will

Good luck!!

NREMTP

Is Chillin
                      10+ Year Member
                      15+ Year Member
                      Jul 7, 2004
                      Here
                      1. Fellow [Any Field]
                        where do you work. i too, am from colo. spgs. i actualy work in aurora for rural metro ambulance but i used to work at penrose main. hit me back and let me know.

Bryan :idea:

DOPEDERSON

10+ Year Member
                        5+ Year Member
                        Oct 29, 2004
                        Iowa City
                          23 yo white male,
                          Born and raised in CA
                          Did my undergrad here in Iowa at Grinnell College
                          I live in Iowa City right now doing research at the U of Iowa med school.
                          Can't wait to get to Des Moines and get started, possibly looking for a roommate in a location that allows dogs.

DOitright

Sprinting downhill!
                          10+ Year Member
                          5+ Year Member
                          Oct 23, 2004
                          Urbandale, IA
                          1. Medical Student
                            Hey Everybody--

25 y/o male
                            Born in Reno, Nevada
                            Raised in California (San Clemente, Los Alamitos, Long Beach, Walnut Creek, Concord).
                            Undergrad at Univ. of Hawaii....B.S. in Medical Technology ('03)
                            Currently living in Rochester, MN working at the Mayo Clinic as a med. tech. in the transfusion lab. Girlfriend attending Mayo Physical Therapy school.

I'm looking forward to the move to DM!!!! I went down there a couple of weekends ago, to look at the different suburbs and where I think I would like to live. West Des Moines and Clive seem real nice...i'll most likely end up somewhere around there!

Keep in touch!

J *CHEERS*

Old_Mil

15+ Year Member
                            Nov 19, 2004
                            Earth
                            1. Attending Physician
                              robo77 said:
                              I am thinking about putting down a deposit at DMU, but would like to get some information about the school from people who have experienced DMU or who have heard things about the school which may be of help to me. Is this a good school, will I be getting good education there? I know that medical school is what one makes of it, but I also know that some schools established better reputation than others. Please advice

I don't think you can go wrong choosing DMU for your medical education. The facilities are fantastic and you can bet that over the next decade or so the facilities alone are going to be attracting some of the top talent in the national DO applicant pool to DMU. In the long run, this can only make the value of your degree appreciate in the workplace. In addition to this, all the people I've run into who have been associated with DMU have been extremely friendly and helpful. I have a friend in the class of 2008 and he's been very satisfied with his experience to date. DMU has always been right at the top of my medical school wish list. Good luck!

(As for me, I'm a 35 year old divorced Indian male, no kids, two dogs. Grew up in South Texas and currently live about 45 miles east of DMU near Pella, Iowa. I spent the better part of a decade as an airline pilot, most of which was spent with TWA, before making the jump. Notre Dame class of 1991; William Penn University for my prerequisites from 2002-present.)

About the Ads
                              This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                              7. This thread is locked.