DMU-OMC Class of 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Guys - I can't thank you enough, Po and JS. There's only one problem here:

My parents loved you guys. That's a huge no no in my book. Sorry, but I can't hang out with you anymore! ;) Sike!

In all honesty, I have never felt more welcome in my life (except for when my new neighbor gave me some water) :cool: . Thank you guys so much for helping me out - I hope I didn't freak you guys out. I was just getting used to the whole Iowa thing.

Josh - you the man. I'm gonna hook you up big time.
JP - keep the DVD's until you have seen them all many times. I'm sure we'll be trading for a very long time. When I get down there, you and the wife are more than welcome to spend the hot evenings cooling off in my sub-level ice house. You, the wife, and Josh, PLAN ON SPENDING MANY NIGHTS CHILLIN' IN MY APARTMENT. Sorry things got messy towards the end - I CAN'T THANK YOU ALL ENOUGH.

I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy! :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hello my nocturnal friend (kid T)! I've got a bit of insomnia right now myself. I hope you had fun in the car... with your parents... for 8 hours straight!!! Better you than me! Anyways, it was a pleasure to meet you and your family... and your neighbor! :D ;)

Make that 11 hours. Huge traffic jam coming out of Chicago with a nervous father who wanted to get back to see his dad. Was NOT fun.

Hope we can hang, and I hope I wasn't too goofy. You, me, and the neighbor are having beers after the 20th. Guaranteed.

Members don't see this ad :)
One more thing - I took your advice and ate at Famous Dave's. You were right - great place. I should have taken you guys with me, but I thought it would be a buzzkill with my dad and 'the situation' that we encountered. His phone was going off every five minutes.

Will make it up to you guys.

Kid, I feel your pain! I recently spent a week straight with my father and it was a good thing that it didn't last another hour longer! just keepin it real - Josh

I hope everything is going well at home.... Hope you're dad's dad is doing fine.... Crossing my finger....

You're most welcome about everything :D My pleasure.... your neighbor being there helped too ;) ;) ;)

I'm up reading THE HOUSE OF GOD.... Almost at the end.... I can see the light!!! What an entertaining book, to say the least.... I wonder if that is the way terns really think....

Then I'm gonna have to reread Gevitz all over again....

Josh, you might want to help a future DMU applicant at the "DMU closing...." thread. The screen name is Atlas, he/she is under the impression that DMU is closing.... Maybe you can add your two cents after you talk to Dr. Reed....

Later y'all
:cool:

Heads up!!!

The Dog Lab has been revived in a different thread....

Just thought I'd put a link to the Dog Lab for those interested in a good read/discussion...

No more comments about the Dog lab... its been beaten to death already! :rolleyes:

I spoke with Dr. Reed's office today and here is what I learned. At this moment, Dr. Reed is working his butt off to secure the surgery residency's future... it IS still in limbo though. He should know more in the next three weeks. It would be a tragedy to lose this program as it is one of the few REALLY good programs that the school still has.
What does it mean for us that Metro closed? It means that the school lost 12 student positions, internship positions and the family practice residency. So far, Mercy has picked up the 12 student position, but the internships and residencies have been dissolved. Hopefully over the next few years, DMU will do its part to make Mercy their new affiliate and start adding more positions. At this time, it looks "hopeful" that Mercy will absorb the surgery residency... but this is not a certainty as of yet.

Too late on that Dog Lab.... Someone else revived it.... It's in the Everyone Forum.... enough is enough.... I agree jsdmu!!!

Thanks for the info and I too hope that Dr. Reed does something for the surgical residency....

BTW, I decided to get that Wheater's book for Histo. When I was at the bookstore this morning, the bookstore ladies were telling me to get it before all the used books were gone.... There's only 3 Used ones left.... I got it used so it was $15 cheaper :D I love saving mula :D

Kid, I am definately not the most computer-literate person! You asked if the school has free internet acess off campus... I don't know! I use MSN and keep a hotmail account, but outside of that I have no idea about getting free access. Sorry! Can anyone else out there answer?

-- Josh (bootylicious) Smith

Apparently, the surgery resident that I was going to do research with transferred to another residency in IL yesterday... :( :(
The fallout begins... I really hope that Dr. Reed can pull this off!!!

Sorry to hear that Josh... Yikes.... I hope better things will come

Members don't see this ad :)
29 more days and it's orientation!!!

I'm actually getting a bit apprehensive, kinda like butterflies in my stomach just thinking about starting med school.... Anyway....

29 DAYZZZZ BABY!!! :cool:

Po - don't sweat the Sam's club thing. Seems my uncle is putting me on the account after all.

But d'ya think you could snatch me up one of those used books before they are all gone? I'll mail you a check this week, if you wish - I have your mailing address. But I'll be there in about 10 days (give or take).

Is it DMU-OMC? I thought it was DMU-COMS.

Josh, I ask you because I have the opportunity to get DSL (and you too, for that matter) for only 19 dollars a month. And if I sign up before July 25, I get the modem, the installation, and one month free (which adds up to about $250). I think it's worth it, considering everything else is about 15 dollars, anyways. Drop me a line if anyone's interested.

There is dial up access through school. I never used it.

Mr. Smith - Derm notes will be in your notepool box tomorrow and Rheum on Friday after we finish the exam.

Could someone please run over to JP's apartment and chuck some ice cubes at him before he sweats to death in this heat!!!!

Yes please.... chuck some ice in this direction.... :D

Thank goodness it's getting much, much cooler.... I heard it might rain....

I actually spent sometime today indoors where there is air conditioning.... DMU!!! and Walmart!!! :D

I finished THE HOUSE OF GOD's, by the way.... What a book!!! I like the way Berry summed up what interns have to go through.....

Later y'all....

Hey all, check out the new post on the "DMU, Closing..." thread. It was sent out today to the class of '04 and '03 regarding the closing of Metro. Check it out!
-Josh

Haven't been online all today.... I guess sidebend posted that new news....

Thanks for the info Josh....

JP, any chance I cna get you to grab those notes out of my notepool box to hold onto... I won't be back in DSM until next tuesday. I would appreciate it!

I'm off to Vegas!!!! Maybe I'll see if I can hook DMU up with a hospital out in Vegas while I'm there! ;) :D ;)

Sure thing, jsdmu.... Just email me or call me about your box number and I'll keep them till you get back.... I would call you tonight but it's a bit late.... Call me tomorrow and let me know....

Mr. Smith

Sorry - I thought you were around. I'll hold them until next week. We're done with Rheum now so mid next week I'll get Rheum and Derm to you. I still owe you the clinical practice (our last class) and I'm organizing the charts & study guides for you. Old tests for derm & rheum are in the folder w/the notes.

Mr. 1 of 200, Seems to have it in hand....

Mr. Smith, give me a call when you get back as I need to return a few items to you.

Later Misters

Hello again! I have a question JP, what is the House of God about and why is it so good? I don't have time to read all the back pages :oops:) I'm doing well in NY but I'm getting anxious to get home, settle into my new place and start school. I think you guys stole my warm weather b/c it gotten quite rainy here. Tonight it is going to be a high of the mid 50's! Anyway I hope all is well :D

THE HOUSE OF GOD is a story about interns and their journey through internship.

Here's the quote at the back of the book:
"Six eager interns - they say themselves as modern saviors-to-be. The came from the tp of their medical school class to the bottom of the hospital saf to serve a year in he time-honored tradition, racing toanswer he flach of on-duty call lights and nubile nurses.

But only the Fat Man - the calm, ll-knowing resident - could sustain them in their struggle to survive, to stay sane, to love - and even to be doctors when their harrowing ear was done."

Actually, the book is very sexual in content but it adds to the characters of the story through their internship. Some of the story line maybe offensive to women and I can see why.... I've read a couple of other books this summer that alludes to THE HOUSE OF GOD. The other two books were more of a serious tone and apparently, THE HOUSE OF GOD, is one of those books that med students read prior to doing internship.... Many allusion, acronyms, medical made-up terminology is still used today by real docs....

The best part I thought was the way, Berry, the psychiatrist/girlfriend of the lead character, Dr, Basch, summarizes what these interns have to go through....

Alright, with that said.... I cannot spoil the ending.... :D

We've definitely taken away that heat from you in the east coast there Katie.... It's been hot here!!! Don't worry.... there's only....

23 MORE DAYZZZZ LEFT BEFORE ORIENTATION..... 23 DAYZZZ!!! :cool:

Till then, Keep warm Katie and I'll see you went you get here and you can share your NY stories with the fellas ;)

Hey! I got a letter from my 'Big Brother' mentor dude today. When I called him, he seemed pretty nice. Hope he's cool.

PO- thanks to you and your misses for the birthday wishes. Hope the movies are treating you well - I just got the entire first season of the Sopranos on DVD for our mafia fix. I think we'll be okay in the movie department.

I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to anyone in a few days, but my computer is on the verge of a meltdown, and every time I run a program, I lock the system up. It should be running fine by Monday (I'm formatting the hard drive and starting from scratch tomorrow).

Viva la corn!

Thought I'd share this from the "Presidential Reflections," by Eugene A. Oliveri, D.O., Immediate Past President
Thursday, July 27, 2000

"The results of this concerted and innovative problem-solving effort are already at work within the profession. A few months ago, the culture of GME changed with a bold announcement from Des Moines University – Osteopathic Medical Center. Starting with the class of 2005, DMU will consider capping the size of future classes. Will this mean that they will generate less revenue from tuition? Very likely, but their students will thank them for it, and that is the heart of the matter. I hope that in years to come other osteopathic medical colleges will follow the brave example being considered by Des Moines University this year."

Here's the link to the entire speech if you really would like to read it.....
http://www.am-osteo-assn.org/Executive/oliverispeech00.htm

KidT.... I notice a trend in your DVD's dude.... Mafias :D

So are you made guy? ;) So are you a "friend of mines" or a "friend of ours"? ;)

Thanks again for lending me those DVD's its been something to pass the time here while I wait for classes to start....

I had to break this topic into another one. It was just too damn long. See you on the new one!