DMU or U of I?

HeatherB1192

Heather
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any one know if one or the other is better?

I've looked at both. They both seem like pretty good colleges.

Obviously, they are both competitive.. But is one more or less competitive then the other?

Does which college I go to depend on what type of physician I want to be?

These might seem like pointless questions.. Just curious.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does any one know if one or the other is better?

I've looked at both. They both seem like pretty good colleges.

Obviously, they are both competitive.. But is one more or less competitive then the other?

Does which college I go to depend on what type of physician I want to be?

These might seem like pointless questions.. Just curious.

Thanks!

I'm sure they are both great schools...I dont konw much about U of I but i'm going to guess thats it public??? If that is the case there is probably a big difference in price because DMU is private. If you are a resident of Iowa, it would be much cheaper to go to U of I

Do you realize that U of I is an MD program, while DMU is a DO program? You probably have if youve researched like you said, but there is a difference between MD and DO programs, altho slight. If you go to DMU, in addition to everything you'd learn at U of I or any other MD school, you'll be learning OMM. I wont go into any more detail and just assume that youve come across this in your research. If you havent, I'll be happy to explain.

To answer your last question, in short, the college you attend has absolutely no influence on what kind of physician you will become. None whatsoever.

EDIT: Wait, are you talking about comparing undergraduate? Des Moines Univeristy and University of Iowa undergraduate??? DMU does not have an undergraduate affiliation. Its all post graduate level training (masters, DO, PA, PT, Public Health, etc).

I'm sure they are both great schools...I dont konw much about U of I but i'm going to guess thats it public??? If that is the case there is probably a big difference in price because DMU is private. If you are a resident of Iowa, it would be much cheaper to go to U of I

Do you realize that U of I is an MD program, while DMU is a DO program? You probably have if youve researched like you said, but there is a difference between MD and DO programs, altho slight. If you go to DMU, in addition to everything you'd learn at U of I or any other MD school, you'll be learning OMM. I wont go into any more detail and just assume that youve come across this in your research. If you havent, I'll be happy to explain.

To answer your last question, in short, the college you attend has absolutely no influence on what kind of physician you will become. None whatsoever.

EDIT: Wait, are you talking about comparing undergraduate? Des Moines Univeristy and University of Iowa undergraduate??? DMU does not have an undergraduate affiliation. Its all post graduate level training (masters, DO, PA, PT, Public Health, etc).

Alright.. Thanks.. That helps.
But what is the difference between DO and MD?

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.stronghealth.com/services/primarycare/domd.cfm

DO and MD are comparable in practice. The main (and significant) difference is public ignorance of the DO initials and public esteem of MD initials (not that it be justified, but it certainly is the general case). Assuming UI is Univ. of Indiana, I would select that over DMU (my preference).

http://www.stronghealth.com/services/primarycare/domd.cfm

DO and MD are comparable in practice. The main (and significant) difference is public ignorance of the DO initials and public esteem of MD initials (not that it be justified, but it certainly is the general case). Assuming UI is Univ. of Indiana, I would select that over DMU (my preference).

I dunno why UofI would be Indiana if the OP is talking about DMU, which is in Iowa. Guess it doesnt really matter because DMU doesnt have an undergraduate campus.

You can start by looking on the pre-osteo forum on this website, or you can check it out at www.osteopathic.org. I already went over the main difference between DOs and MD, which is that DOs learn Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine, which they can choose to use or not use when they are in practice. Explore the said websites and if you have any other questions just give me a PM and i will be happy to answer them.