DMU or UNECOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckystar

pooped
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I got accepted at DMU, and I have an interview at UNECOM in 2 weeks. I only applied to these two. For those who are set on going to DMU, what made you choose this school? Same question for those who know they want to go to UNECOM. I'm just curious about the pros and cons of both schools from the perspective of future (or current) students, since there seems to be little discussion concerning either school, especially DMU. Thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

HI Lucky Star,
I am having the same problem deciding between Nova, chicago, and arizona...So anyone who has insight/suggestions, please post! I want to have decided by next month, with deposits due!

I know Maine can get really cold and I have heard the cost for heating is expensive. If thats not a factor, I would say to pick unecom, but this is soley just an opinion..The DO doctor I shadowed (specialized in manipulation/neuromuscular disorders) said maine was a great OMM school (and she graduated from Nova). I also heard this fact from 2 other DOs, one from England, and one from Nova, when I asked about DO schools.

I never got an interview (yet ) for Maine, or else I would be considering that in my top choices.

Hello! I'm a current student at DMU. I don't really have any generalized pros or cons about the school. If you have specific questions, I might be able to help you out. I have interviewed students and helped with the tours, my best advice to anyone prospective student is not to select DMU or any school on what other say but how you feel about the school and the atmosphere. I could give you all the things that I love my about my school but I'm a tad biased but questions I can answer. I would say go to your interveiw at UNECOM, if you walk on that campus and you like the feel of the school then that is the place for you. If you think back and think DMU was a better option, then welcome. By the way, congrats on your acceptance...at least you know you are going somewhere :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey luckystar,

congrats on your acceptance to dmu. i was in a similar position last year--deciding between nycom, wvsom, and dmu. basically, i chose dmu because i felt welcomed at the school. the people are great and i am having a wonderful time here. coming from so cal, it's a little difficult adjusting to the weather, but so far it hasn't been that bad. in all honesty, my decision came down to where i thought i would be the happiest for the next two years.

kimberlee :)

Thanks Katie and Kimberlee! I really appreciate your help. And keep up the great work, Osteopeddoc! As for specific questions about DMU, I was a little thrown by the seemingly small number of faculty, as reported in US News and Reports. Does this affect your education at all? I know that quality means so much more than quantity, but do you feel that the professors are spread a little thin, considering that DMU has quite a large student body? I totally agree on how courteous and supportive the people from DMU I have met have been! They're fabulous! I guess one of the things this boils down to is the quality of the education that is offered by either school (DMU and UNECOM). So far, I haven't been able to find a third party that can provide an unbiased opinion. I do have confidence in both, so I'll see how my interview in Maine goes, because I don't actually have a real dilemma until I get accepted there. Thanks again! :)

Hey luckystar!

As for your question about faculty being spread too thin, that isn't at all a concern. DMU has been a school for 104 years, so Des Moines is heavily populated with practicing DO's. In the second year curriculum, the basic science PhDs provide a bit of review or backbone material but much of the rest is presented by clinicians. Some of these clinicians are on full time staff but many are doctors pulled from the community to come and give a few lectures. For example, we are in the respiratory system, a DO pulmonogist came in and gave 4 lectures on some of the more clincal aspects. There are less guest lectures first year but that is do to the curriculum being mostly basic sciences, which our PhD's and onstaff clincians do an amazing job teaching.

Can anyone tell me how many of graduates from DMU chose to go allopathic residency program?

I have made a decision! I am definitely choosing DMU over UNECOM. Let's just say my interview at UNE was not nearly as impressive as the one with DMU. I really feel that DMU has a better sense of what it can offer students. The people I met from DMU were truly enthusiastic about their school and just gave me a better overall "feel" for the school. I also like the fact that DMU is in a more urban location. I'll be sending in my deposit very soon. Thanks for all the advice again!

hey luckystar,

yay, another californian will be joining the ranks at dmu. look forward to meeting you in august!

kimberlee :)

I received an interview at DMU that's coming soon. I was wondering does anyone knew the acceptance rate of those interviewed? I recently went to an interview at AZCOM, but I was rejected. I thought I did ok in the interview, but I guess not. I don't want to make the same mistakes, so can anyone give feedback on DMU interviews?

Relish,
I can't give you any hard numbers on acceptance rate of interviewees at DMU, but from what I've been told, they're pretty high. Getting an interview shows that they already like what they see on paper, and now they just want to make sure you really are who you say you are, and I guess how well you can think on your feet when it comes to their questions for you (i.e. I was asked, "If you could choose to be any cartoon character, which would you be and why?" geez...that really took me by surprise!! :p ) It kind of felt more like the type of interview where they're actually trying to get to know you instead of having you rehash your health care or research experiences.
I hope your interview goes well, and let us know how it goes!

BTW, this does nothing to answer your question, but somebody actually gave a number during my interview at UNE. They said that 80-85% of their interviewees are accepted. Just some extra info you or others might find helpful...

Relish:

I have had the oppurtunity to be the student that interviews prospective students. DMU has a good acceptance rate of their applicants but only the director of addmissions really knows the hard numbers. I can give you a bit of advice. Be prepared to defend why you want to be an osteopathic physcian. We do like to ask those odd ball questions you aren't expecting mostly to see your poise. Don't be afraid to brag on yourself a bit, we want to know your strengths. There will be an oppurtunity in the interview to ask questions. By the time you interview, you will already have talked to a number of students but the interview is the time you will get to talk to 2nd year students and faculty members. Don't be afraid to ask anything you are curious about. Before your interview, we interviewers have looked at your complete file, from letters of rec to grades from your freshman year of college. That is where the questions are mostly going to come from. So as long as you haven't lied, you will be fine :) Mostly, just relax. . .what will be will be, and no one is out to scare your or rake over the coals. Best of luck!!