dmu portland interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, for people interviewing in portland the weekend after this one, let me know if you have any questions about things to do/see in pdx. you're forewarned, it'll probably rain. :) also, if you have questions about getting around or whatever, i should be able to help you out.

also, if anybody wants to get together maybe that friday or saturday night, post here, and maybe we can all meet up. i don't know how many people are coming to town, but it'll be fun to meet interviewees.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm interested in a gathering...i get in friday night for the saturday interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
in an effort to keep this posting somewhat recent i'm just responding again. so i take it you live in Prtlnd?

kahoo99 said:
in an effort to keep this posting somewhat recent i'm just responding again. so i take it you live in Prtlnd?

lol, i am in portland. it sort of feels like dmu is coming to me because i only have to travel like a mile to get to the interivew.

exlawgrrl said:
lol, i am in portland. it sort of feels like dmu is coming to me because i only have to travel like a mile to get to the interivew.

I'm comin from Corvallis, pretty nice having an interview about an hour from home!! See you all then :D

coming from corvallis also - nice 90 min. drive! DMU is #1 on the list - so I will pull all other apps if accepted. See you guys in P-Town!

exlawgrrl said:
Cool -- do you go to OSU?

Yup! I bleed orange! :smuggrin: :thumbup:

I know a couple DMU grads that are physicians in Corvallis, and Des Moines is also number 1 on my list! I hear nothing but good things from the physicians from there, and also friends I have that go to the medical school.... I hope I nail the interview :eek:

Donvb said:
Yup! I bleed orange! :smuggrin: :thumbup:

I know a couple DMU grads that are physicians in Corvallis, and Des Moines is also number 1 on my list! I hear nothing but good things from the physicians from there, and also friends I have that go to the medical school.... I hope I nail the interview :eek:

i've only heard good stuff about it, too, so i'm pretty hyped. that's cool that there are dmu grads in corvallis -- i wouldn't mind working in corvallis.

the problem with being a non-native-oregonians living in pdx is that i have no loyalty to either the ducks or the beavers. the civil war thing is cool, though, becuase i get to wear jeans that friday. :) oregon has the craziest mascots, btw.

exlawgrrl said:
i've only heard good stuff about it, too, so i'm pretty hyped. that's cool that there are dmu grads in corvallis -- i wouldn't mind working in corvallis.

the problem with being a non-native-oregonians living in pdx is that i have no loyalty to either the ducks or the beavers. the civil war thing is cool, though, becuase i get to wear jeans that friday. :) oregon has the craziest mascots, btw.

It's because were tube sockin, berkenstockin, tye-dyin, tree-lovin, oregonians... and we can have mascots like the ducks and beavers! :laugh: Corvallis is AWESOME, and I most definately want to come back here.

FYI, i'm from eastern Oregon and we disassociate ourselves from the Portland/Salem yuppies :smuggrin: lol, I love Oregon! See you at the interview!

need advice - any preperation tactics for the interview (my first)....any input will help a lot.....thanks

kerisimasi said:
need advice - any preperation tactics for the interview (my first)....any input will help a lot.....thanks

have you checked out the interview feedback thing here? basically, go to the front page for snd, and on the left you can find a link called "medical school interview feedback" or something to that effect. click on it, select browse schools, and then search for dmu. that'll give you a basic idea of what types of questions they ask. of course, you can never know for sure because it all depends on your panel.

for any osteopathic school, mainly be prepared to answer the why medicine, why osteopathic medicine thing. they want to know that you know about osteopathic medicine and that it's not just a fallback. also, anything in your application is fair game, so be prepared to answer questions about your experiences. some people will throw you an ethical question or two -- just be confident, and the general advice is to stick by your answer. this one is hard for me because of my legal background because we're trained to see and argue everything from every perspective without having a really definitive favorite.

if you have access to a mock interview through your school's career services or something like that, it might be a good tool, too.

good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Donvb said:
FYI, i'm from eastern Oregon and we disassociate ourselves from the Portland/Salem yuppies :smuggrin: lol, I love Oregon! See you at the interview!

i love oregon, too. :) yeah, i'm one of those portland yuppies, i guess -- hmm, except i think i'm a bit too poor to be a yuppie.

thanks exlawgrrl - I am new to sdn, so your help is much appreciated! I just talked to a couple of close friends (an MS1 and an MS2) who both attend DMU for some input as well. I guess you can never know too much about a school...at least lets hope not. Anyway, thanks again.

I will be there. I'm from the Portland-area but I go to Washington State University. I'm flying back for the interview Friday and will interview Saturday.

are you sooo sick of interviewing yet? :)

I just got back from my interview at DMU's campus, and let me re-iterate that anything in your file IS fair game. They asked me a lot of questions directly from my file, so be prepared. This is not to say that the interview was stressful, because it wasn't. Ir was very conversational. Good luck to all of you. By the way, the campus is amazing.

FS-Pro said:
I just got back from my interview at DMU's campus, and let me re-iterate that anything in your file IS fair game. They asked me a lot of questions directly from my file, so be prepared. This is not to say that the interview was stressful, because it wasn't. Ir was very conversational. Good luck to all of you. By the way, the campus is amazing.

honestly, i love that they're coming to portland and interviewing on a weekend because it don't have to spend any money or take days off work. however, the big downside is that we won't get a chance to see their amazing campus in real life. if i'm admitted, i guess i'll have to take a trip to des moines.

so, by anything in your file being fair game, do you mean they ask potentially critical questions about weaknesses in your application?

exlawgrrl said:
honestly, i love that they're coming to portland and interviewing on a weekend because it don't have to spend any money or take days off work. however, the big downside is that we won't get a chance to see their amazing campus in real life. if i'm admitted, i guess i'll have to take a trip to des moines.

so, by anything in your file being fair game, do you mean they ask potentially critical questions about weaknesses in your application?

they asked me about a bad grade from 4 years ago, why I did fine in Calc I, but did horrible in Calc II. Things like that.

lol i am aiming for Cs at this point :)

at my DMU interview I remember one mean lady saying..."So, you got a D in calculus. I got an A in calculus...Why couldn't you?" lol ok I know a D sucks but my overall GPA was a 3.5 both ways! you could have asked about it in a nicer way!!

coincidentally i got a B in calc I and a D in calc II!

i was just wondering what a "good" explanation of a poor grade would be...I know we all have our reasons, I guess I just wouldn't want to sound as if i was making an excuse...any suggestions that have worked for you guys? My current plan of attack??? just be honest i guess...thanks for any help you can offer

I was honest and told them that I use to have no motivation in school as well as poor study habits. That's funny because in got a B in Calc I and D in Calc II also.

i told them it was my first quarter of college....it was....and i was SO ineffective at being a student and i sucked at adjusting to what it meant to be a college student...i had floated by in HS without ever working so the concept of having to work hard for grades was new. plus i say math doesn't come super easily to me!

I explained everything as well - played for the baseball team at OSU, and all I cared about was reaching my goal of becoming a professional athlete...which is all true. I just hope that they see my same passion I once had for baseball is now directed at medicine...time will tell.

So does anyone want to get together on friday night before the interviews?

my flight gets in at 7. I should get to the hotel around 8 or so. Are you near the hotel exlawgrrl?

kahoo99 said:
my flight gets in at 7. I should get to the hotel around 8 or so. Are you near the hotel exlawgrrl?

honestly, i live like a mile from the hotel, and my volunteering gig is also a mile or so from the hotel. so, yeah, anything around the hotel is convenient for me.

Good luck, y'all! Enjoy the experience... I can't believe it was a year ago that I interviewed in Portland, too.

BTW, there are many people here now that were in my same group back then...

Have a great time and hope to see you on the "DMU Class of 2010" thread soon!

:luck: :luck: :luck:

Hey MsEvolution,
Did you visit the school before putting down your deposit? I know they talk a lot about the campus and Des Moines in the interview, but I'd still like to see it in person, especially since I've never been to or even reallly thought about Iowa.

I'm so glad they're coming out here because this interview is going to cost me $0. If I get in, I can visit, but it's not like I have to fork over $400 to be rejected. :)

Hey... I had an interview invite at Kirksville in early December, so I killed two birds with one trip. I flew into DM and I visited DMU before and after my interview at KCOM. I just wanted to check both out (KCOM and DMU were at a tie for me at that point) before I made up my mind.

Spent a few days here, fell even more in love, and I forked over the $$ live and in person.

All the best! :)

Good luck to you all! I just interviewed last week and was accepted recently, and let me say, go visit the campus if you get a chance. It is amazing!

I interviewed Saturday. The whole day went very well...pretty classy at the Marriott. My interview was very chill and I really loved meeting the current students and faculty. I was impressed! I really hope I am considered for a 1/4 or 1/2 scholarship (not a 3.5 and 30 but a 3.7 and 28)...I think after my interview I might be considered for one anyway. Hopefully!

okayplayer,

If my sleuthing is correct I believe you were the guy who was a Tiger in high school. If I'm right my avatar picture should look familiar. :) From what I observed on mdapplicants it is possible to be offered the scholarship for having a lower mcat. But there is good competition out there. I did notice that they waited to offer it until just a few days before the Dec. 15 cut off for decisions - assuming DMU acceptances this year have until Dec. 15 to decide. I'm curious what from your interview gives you the impression you'll land one?

Thats my thing too, like I got accepted and met their cutoffs but I don't think I'm going to put down $500...Unless I knew I was getting an offer ya know.

We'll have to see about the whole scholarship ordeal. That would probably be one of the factors that makes me choose them over the other schools. I have almost the same stats as you okayplayer, so we'll have to see.

okay player what gives you the impression they would consider you with less than their cutoff standards?

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up a minute. I'm confused. Is DMU coming to Portland to interview people for the Iowa campus or are they expanding a school to Portland? For those wondering why I just jumped in and hijacked this thread, I'm an Oregon native.

glorytaker said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up a minute. I'm confused. Is DMU coming to Portland to interview people for the Iowa campus or are they expanding a school to Portland? For those wondering why I just jumped in and hijacked this thread, I'm an Oregon native.

they interviewed for the iowa campus -- they're not opening a branch in portland or anything like that. i guess they get a lot of applicants from the west coast, so they offer interviews there instead of on-campus for us. it makes sense because the west coast is one of the hardest regions for medical school admissions, so we have to look elsewhere.

as for what i thought about the school, i liked it. they had students from oregon and portland, which was good to know. des moines didn't sound horrible, but i'll have to check it out. apparently there are coffee shops and locally owned good restaurants, and they have a medical students 4 choice chapter, which is way cool, imo. i also really liked the omm demonstration.

yeah DMU is def huge on OMM i think compared to what i've seen. when i was there (at DMU) and was walking out a gruop of 2nd years offered to do OMM on us! it was very cool!

Wow, coffee shops and locally owned restaurants that are good. Sorry, but I passed on going to DMU because it's in the mid-west. In fact, I have a class mate who is from Des Moines and decided to go to med school in California. And this goes for any school, if there isn't a med students 4 choice chapter, you can always start one! That's what happened at my school -- someone started one because one didn't exist.

glorytaker said:
Wow, coffee shops and locally owned restaurants that are good. Sorry, but I passed on going to DMU because it's in the mid-west. In fact, I have a class mate who is from Des Moines and decided to go to med school in California. And this goes for any school, if there isn't a med students 4 choice chapter, you can always start one! That's what happened at my school -- someone started one because one didn't exist.

you can't start one at vcom -- apparently some students tried, and the administration said no go. :thumbdown: as for other schools, that's probably true. it's just comforting to know that even if you go to school in a red state (i guess iowa is pretty moderate, though), you'll still have more variety in the student body. i don't know if i'd mind the midwest, but then i'm from oklahoma. i know i hate texas (done that) and don't want to live in the southeast, but other than that, i'm open.

glorytaker said:
In fact, I have a class mate who is from Des Moines and decided to go to med school in California.

Interesting, I'm from California and am going to scholl at DMuU next fall.

FS-Pro said:
Interesting, I'm from California and am going to scholl at DMuU next fall.

a change of scenery is always a good thing. :) sometimes i feel bad for people who grew up in california because so many californians seem incapable of leaving (well, except to come to oregon and raise our housing prices. :( ). if you grow up in a place that sucks (ie oklahoma), you have the advantage of knowing that you're about 100% guaranteed to live elsewhere.

I will probably make it back to southern California eventually. It is such a great place to grow up, and want my kids to grow up here like I did.

Hey there P-Town interviewees! Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about acceptances to DMU from the Portland interviews, and when you do, give a shout out!!