jmalik

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2005
Status
Hi,

I have an interview at DMU in March. I heard that if you get the interview you have a really good chance of getting in (as compared to other DO schools)...any thoughts or information on this matter?

Thanks

robo77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Status
That is true, according to what I have heard,most people that interview will get accepted. It is a nature of DMU that they only interview people that they believe will be a good fit for their school. After I visited the school I have to say that I do not see any reason why they would have problems filling their spots, the facilities are awesome, living is affordable, professors are friendly, I liked this school a lot. To contrast my impression about DMU with some other schools that I visited, I was not impressed with VCOM, LECOM, and especially NYCOM. Good luck!

jmalik said:
Hi,

I have an interview at DMU in March. I heard that if you get the interview you have a really good chance of getting in (as compared to other DO schools)...any thoughts or information on this matter?

Thanks

babyruth

Babyruth
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
I was with Steve..no I was on the moon!
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Not true, per se... depends on how well you perform at your interview as well. This year they are being a little more discriminating amongst the people they interview because of "overbooking" last year's class, meaning they started with a larger class than the administration would have liked.

MagnumDR

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
Status
I interviewed at DMU in December and got rejected. I have interviewed at 5 other DO schools and have been accepted to all (OSU, NSU, TUCOM-MI, KCOM, LECOM-FL). I really liked DMU and was disappointed I was not accepted. I called and all they could say is the interviewers said I "lacked a commitment to medicine". I don't consider myself to be a bad interviewer, but I do remember saying I didn't always know I wanted to be a doctor(in response to their question "when did you know...". It's only been within the last 7 years or so, as opposed to "since I was 2". Other than that I felt really good about my interview. My GPA, science GPA, and MCAT exceed the average of matriculated students, so that wasn't an issue. I also met someone at a different interview who was waitlisted in October and that guy was an awesome candidate with great people skills. He had multiple acceptances both MD and DO with no other post-interview waitlist or rejections. So it does happen. I still don't know why, but it's probably better for me in the end...

robo77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Status
I am sorry to hear about you not being accepted. I guess these things happen, but to be encouraging to other applicants, most people that interview do get accepted, with some of course being rejected. After all, it is still a process and a competitive one at that. A person who got accepted and applied to both MD and DO and stated so during their interview maybe looked as an applicant who considers DO as a backup, so who knows.

MagnumDR said:
I interviewed at DMU in December and got rejected. I have interviewed at 5 other DO schools and have been accepted to all (OSU, NSU, TUCOM-MI, KCOM, LECOM-FL). I really liked DMU and was disappointed I was not accepted. I called and all they could say is the interviewers said I "lacked a commitment to medicine". I don't consider myself to be a bad interviewer, but I do remember saying I didn't always know I wanted to be a doctor(in response to their question "when did you know...". It's only been within the last 7 years or so, as opposed to "since I was 2". Other than that I felt really good about my interview. My GPA, science GPA, and MCAT exceed the average of matriculated students, so that wasn't an issue. I also met someone at a different interview who was waitlisted in October and that guy was an awesome candidate with great people skills. He had multiple acceptances both MD and DO with no other post-interview waitlist or rejections. So it does happen. I still don't know why, but it's probably better for me in the end...

Docgeorge

Bent Over and Violated
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2002
Not on the Beach
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Babyruth is right just because you got invited does'nt mean that you'll automatically get accepcted. I think I just about broke even with those I voted to admit and the ones that were waitlisted or rejected. Just keep in mind that just cuz you were invited for an interview it's not a sure thing. And just because you have MD accepctences does'nt mean squat at least with me or anybody I do interviews with. The whole process is just random I've really come to believe that espically since i've seen the process from the other side.

OP
J

jmalik

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2005
Status
thanks for your responses. Your right to say that there def is a chance i will not get accepted. However, I was looking for some stats about it. Like how many interviewed vs. how many accepted. I can't find this data anywhere! Thanks in advance

MagnumDR

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
Status
Docgeorge said:
And just because you have MD accepctences does'nt mean squat at least with me or anybody I do interviews with.
OK, maybe you missed the point of what I was getting at. I wasn't saying just because he had MD acceptances it should mean something to an adcom. He hadn't at that time had other acceptances to allopathic programs, making that issue null. It does however mean that for some reason, DMU failed to see in him and myself, qualities that other respected and sought after programs embraced. It seems more random than practical at times. Maybe one of the people that interviewed me took a response personal or just plain didn't care for my personality, which is by no means cocky or over the top. They are trying to find a "fit", but at the same time many people have said that if you get an interview you have an almost guaranteed acceptance at DMU, unless you lack people skills. My point is that even with people skills, you just might not connect with an interviewer on a particular day, which doesn't necessarily mean you aren't a fit. Sometimes, there simply isn't a connection, which by the way does not always lead to a rejection either. When I called to ask, the lady said the interview panel actually recommended me for a waitlist, only to be shot down by the dean as a full blown reject. Yeah, that makes sense seeins how me and the old dean really had some serious interaction time :thumbdown: .I really liked DMU a lot though, and would encourage anyone to interview there if only to see what a kick A school they have. If I had been accepted it would just complicate decisions anyway.

Docgeorge

Bent Over and Violated
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2002
Not on the Beach
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Sorry I think you misunderstood me. When I was saying the MD admittance does'nt mean squat was in regards to keeping someone out. We really dont care if you've applied to both infact sometimes there might even be some questions as to why if you wanted to be a physician you did'nt apply to both allo and osteo schools.

The fact of the matter is that Medschool application are up for the first time in a decade last year for medical schools across the board. That trend is also ture for this year esp at our school. We are seeing a lot very qualified very rounded people apply to our school. In fact some of the people that we've had to waitlist would have alomost been a guranteed admit a few years ago according to some of the faculty interviewers. MagnumDr. I'm very sorry that you were denied by DMU I really hope that you got insomewhere else.

Generally as a rule it usually takes more then 1 reject or waitlist vote to get put in either catagory. The way it works at DMU is that after reading your personal statement and looking at your MCAT and GPA the admissions dept invites people who they think the Interview Comitte will see in a good light to interview. When we interview a canidate we get your files go over your grades MCAT and personal statement and your EC and what not and make notes about things we want more clairfacation on. The canidate interview usually starts off with tell us a little about your self that you did'nt put in the personal statement or some thing like that. If you say something that interests us we'll explore that a little or we'll ask questions from areas in your file.

After the the interview we usually discuss the canidate as a group and we individually assign the canidate to one of three catagories: accepcted, waitlisted, and rejcted. We have to support the desicions and quite liberally so if someone was waitlisted or rejected.

From there the files go to the dean of admissions who reviews canidate file and the comments from the interviewers and if some thing needs clarifing or there is descent between the interviewers she will call up the interviewers and ask for specific reasons. "I just dont think he'll fit in here" or "I just have a gut feeling" are not accepctable anwsers.

She will then make a recomendation and foreward it to Dean Reed who has the final say.

Again this year is a tough year for admissions good luck to all of you out there.

Docgeorge

Bent Over and Violated
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2002
Not on the Beach
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I just saw you got in other places. Congratulations.

richarDsOn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2005
Ashland, KY
Status
Amen on the timing...wish I would have finished my secondaries about 2 months earlier...at least.

DOPEDERSON

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
Iowa City
Status
I was told in November, when I interviewed, that 60-75% of the people that interview get in. That being said, this late in the game they might be a little more selective. If I were you I would go into the interview with a positive mind set, after all, the hard work is already done. I couldn't tell how my interview went because everyone was so stone faced. Especially, the older faculty member man he was a hard nosed old dude. I remember him saying, "I have been here so long that nothing really surprises me." So yea he was hard to gauge.

good luck