DMU question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fortunefaded

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was invited to interview at DMU early in Feb but had to reschedule because I play college baseball. My new interview date isnt until March 31. I am worried that this may be too late of an interview to have a legitimate shot of getting accepted. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.

Members don't see this ad.

You still have a pretty good shot. We still have spaces open.

fortunefaded said:
I was invited to interview at DMU early in Feb but had to reschedule because I play college baseball. My new interview date isnt until March 31. I am worried that this may be too late of an interview to have a legitimate shot of getting accepted. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.
Hey fortunefaded

I interview that day too. Hope to see you there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I look forward to meeting you. I wish both of us the best of luck.

Good Luck! I'll be interviewing on April 15; I hope not just for a waitlist spot :D

Does anyone know when DMU concludes their interviewing? I'm also a little curious as to how DMU's waitlist works in case we are interviewing for a waitlist spot. Is there much movement off the list, etc.

DMU can potentially accept people until quite late. I know a guy who got accepted just weeks before school started. I can't imagine that it is a regular thing, but clearly not out of the range of the possible.

They usually cease interviewing around late April. The waitlist phenomena is dependent upon the applicant pool of that year. For example in the 2007 class (my class), we had a lot of movement from the waitlist, while last year's class did not have any at all (in fact the class was too large because no one dropped...). The waitlist is dependent upon the students that were accepted to see if they go to another school or not. They usually overshoot acceptances to make up for the drops, meaning that if you are on the waitlist, you are also behind some people that are statistically expected to drop. They expect a class of approx. 200-205 students +/- 5-10 depending on the drops. If you are on the top of the wait list like in the top five, then you have a moderately good shot at acceptance. The reason that people can get accepted so late in the year is due to those drops. I know two-three students in my class who got accepted only 1-2 weeks before school.

Ultimately, if you are the waitlist, you need to decide if DMU is your number one choice and is worth the risk of waiting for... personal bias, of course it is :)

babyruth said:
Ultimately, if you are the waitlist, you need to decide if DMU is your number one choice and is worth the risk of waiting for... personal bias, of course it is :)

whaddaya know about the research at DMU? i really loved the school and most likely will matriculate this fall. i'm interested in doing some summer research, but those opportunities seem limited insofar as scope (ie the nature of the research). any idea if students go elsewhere during the summer to pursue other research opportunities?

I haven't heard if they travel to University of Iowa, but this is a possibility if you are interested (2 hours away from Des Moines, though). The research is still buddin gat this school and the grants are higher than they have been in the past. They also hired several new faculty that do research. Dr. Larson is the head of the research department and I know they grant research scholarships during the summer here. Some of the porjects they have been working on involve herbal medications, new cancer drugs, etc. Your best bet would be to make an appointment with himand see what is going on. Although not as extensive in scope as U of I, there are still opportunities available. You could also look into Drake University here in town and see what they are doing; this is undergraduate work of course though they do have a pharmacy school.

Does anyone know roughly how many spots DMU has left? Just curious what my chances are.