DMU rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe because they are afraid of retribution. Be man or woman enough and identify yourself. I'm convinced you are either part of the administration or faculty at the school. No student would know who is on the board of directors at ACFAS. And what student would make a comment about how Mandracchia's lectures were better 3-5 years ago.

It is evident that the DMU administration monitors and posts on this forum. Which is fine, since I am an attending and doing likewise. However, I identify myself, everyone knows I'm harshly honest and I stand by my comments.

I am a student getting ready to be done with my education at DMU therefore I can comment on the last 3-5 years because I started my education four years ago and heard from the 07s that he was a great lecturer. Again I will reinterate that a trained monkey can use google and find anything these days. My knowing what a fellow is and who is on the board of directors does not make me staff. You can ask any well read student and they know these things. I gurantee that Feli, Krabmas, JonWill, Feelgood, OSUDDS, Dr. Gangrene, Gustydoc they all know these things because they are knowledgable. I wish that when I was in my third year that I would not have to go to BMC, these students are getting the chance to work with MIKE LEE. Count how many times he is published in articles, books, etc. This is a huge opportunity for the students that I wish I would have had.

BMC did have some good things going for it. I remember as a student I got to see a different population than I had ever seen up in the tower and that was interesting. It also was cool to see all the surgeries and all of the trauma.
But from what I have heard there are only two students with Dr. Lee and Barp at a time. You CAN"T BEAT THAT TRAINING. When I was at BMC there were 3rd years and 4th years there all at the same time and only a few clinicians. Not that much one on one attention. Did you get to see a lot of patients? Yes. Will the students see that many patients with these two clinicians? Yes and probably more because it is only the two of them. I know your argument is going to be "Are they going to let students touch the patients" and for myself I know that there were some rotations in my fourth year were I basically shadowed and was fine with it because I got to see a clinician do it his way and I was just formulating what I would do in my head while watching.
I too am being honest. I am just presenting a side of the coin that you did not like to hear. I think that it is great that my classmates and peers can tear down a decision that has been made but when someone stands up for the school then they are automatically staff or faculty. Is that because you have to be disguntled about the current situation to post on this thread?
I made a comment that is strictly my opinion as a STUDENT. You as a CLINICIAN have decided to lower yourself and to this forum. The school left the BMC because they did not feel that it was a healthy learning environment. I think that everyone can see by your comments why.
It is true that DMU looks at this website but you and I both know that they would always take the high road and would not get on a forum and post. Most people have grown up and do not have enough time for this after being students.

Should I have posted my anger on here? Probably not. I have read this site for many years and have never chimed in until now and that was because I was tired of seeing people beat up on the school for a great and hard decision. There may be some third years that liked the rotation but I still talk to many of them that think that the rotation was not that beneficial and are excited about the new direction. LCR, I too am a soon to be fellow alumnus like yourself. How bout we try to support our school for trying to make itself better and not bash it? I apologize for giving my honest assement of the situation. I thought that was what forums were for

Members don't see this ad.

This personal attack is completely uncalled for. I'm embarrassed to be an alumnus from DMU and know you work there.

Dr. Mandracchia's career is far from waning. He was recently made the Chief Medical Officer of the whole hospital, a feat few podiatrists have accomplished. Yes, he is mostly an administrator now, but he continues to see about 40 patients a week. This is no different that Dean Yoho, but I wouldn't criticism him for being an administrator.

On a personal note, Dr. Mandracchia made a huge impact in my learning. While a student at DMU, he taught me that articles are the primary medical reference and this is the only way you're going to learn once you leave the safe confines of medical school. He also said "question every thing you are taught." A simple, but profoundly academic statement. One not appreciated by the poster to whom I'm responding.

I do not work for the school, I am a student that is voicing MY opinion. Trust me I questioned everything I was taught by his ramblings and questioned why I paid for him to lecture to me. That is my opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
You as a CLINICIAN have decided to lower yourself and to this forum.

This is a stark insult to SDN. I have been a member of this forum for 4 years and post advice to pre-pod and pod students. You have been a member for 2 days, and I say welcome, but I still don't buy the fact that you're not a University admin (and so does everyone else). I identify myself in my posts because I feel it lends more credibility to my statements, as opposed to hiding and throwing out negative statements.

I am also a moderator on PRESENTDiabetes. The world is virtual, my friend. This is how medicine will communicate in the future. It's not lowering oneself, it's being ahead of the curve.

But from what I have heard there are only two students with Dr. Lee and Barp at a time. You CAN"T BEAT THAT TRAINING. When I was at BMC there were 3rd years and 4th years there all at the same time and only a few clinicians. Not that much one on one attention. Did you get to see a lot of patients? Yes. Will the students see that many patients with these two clinicians? Yes and probably more because it is only the two of them. I know your argument is going to be "Are they going to let students touch the patients" and for myself I know that there were some rotations in my fourth year were I basically shadowed and was fine with it because I got to see a clinician do it his way and I was just formulating what I would do in my head while watching.

I said before Drs. Barp and Lee are excellent. They are very busy, I can't ever get Barp on the phone until the evening. They treat private patients referred from all over Iowa. I'm happy you enjoy shadowing.

Only 2 students at a time (for 2 weeks each), how many work weeks in the year excluding Summer and holidays ..... basically 4 students a month can rotate. I wasn't a math major, but there might not be enough room for all the students?

This is a stark insult to SDN. I have been a member of this forum for 4 years and post advice to pre-pod and pod students. You have been a member for 2 days, and I say welcome, but I still don't buy the fact that you're not a University admin (and so does everyone else). I identify myself in my posts because I feel it lends more credibility to my statements, as opposed to hiding and throwing out negative statements.

I am also a moderator on PRESENTDiabetes. The world is virtual, my friend. This is how medicine will communicate in the future. It's not lowering oneself, it's being ahead of the curve.

So explain to why when a student wants to say something against the school the can claim anonymity but when a student wants to claim the same right to support the school I must be admin? Come on! WHY does everyone have to on your side? Why can't I love my school and be proud of it? Why can't I say that I did not like BMC rotations when I was a third year? You weren't even there at that time so why are you getting so bent? Do you think that everyone on this forum think BMC is the next thing since sliced bread? Heck no! Does everyone think that DMU is the next thing since sliced bread? Heck no. My original point in my original post was that footcare made remarks and then ran away and deleted his posts. You then come to his rescue for saying something against the school but when I said I think that the school is moving in a great new direction I must be administration or faculty. I just can't be a student that is proud that I got great training and that I was able to get a great three year program. I have to be an administration. What a joke. Sorry that there are actually people that are happy about going to DMU. Heck you should be proud too. They are one of the main reasons you are in the position you are now. You graduated there, got a residency and are now a podiatrist. No matter how much you want me to be an administrator or a faculty member I am a student. Grow up

I said before Drs. Barp and Lee are excellent. They are very busy, I can't ever get Barp on the phone until the evening. They treat private patients referred from all over Iowa. I'm happy you enjoy shadowing.

Only 2 students at a time (for 2 weeks each), how many work weeks in the year excluding Summer and holidays ..... basically 4 students a month can rotate. I wasn't a math major, but there might not be enough room for all the students?

8 students a month. 2 with Barp for 2 weeks, 2 with Lee for 2 weeks and then the second half goes out. Same as it is now without BMC. No difference we are just not at BMC anymore. Same rotation schedule

You are sounding like you are bitter that we are leaving and I think people will be able to see that.

I did enjoy teaching the third year students. We still have 4 fourth years (6 next month) who scrub all the cases and round on patients with us. And this was the only place where you had interaction with the fourth years on a daily basis, to ask questions about externships, see how much a fourth years knows, and be pimped by 4th year (who was just pimped by an attending in another program you may be visiting). This makes you a better doctor.

I noticed you changed your status from "Resident" to "Podiatry Student". You have posted under multiple names, because as Footchopper earlier pointed out, you used Times New Roman font (which I have never seen on SDN in 4 years) - cut and paste from a Word document likely.

And, you didn't comment, if it were so important your teachers were board certified, that most of your DMU faculty are not board certified and one is an outcast for unethical testimony and was admonished by the profession.

There you are with that knife again :)

I did enjoy teaching the third year students. We still have 4 fourth years (6 next month) who scrub all the cases and round on patients with us. And this was the only place where you had interaction with the fourth years on a daily basis, to ask questions about externships, see how much a fourth years knows, and be pimped by 4th year (who was just pimped by an attending in another program you may be visiting). This makes you a better doctor.

I noticed you changed your status from "Resident" to "Podiatry Student". You have posted under multiple names, because as Footchopper earlier pointed out, you used Times New Roman font (which I have never seen on SDN in 4 years) - cut and paste from a Word document likely.

And, you didn't comment, if it were so important your teachers were board certification, that most of your DMU faculty are not board certified and one is an outcast for unethical testimony and was admonished by the profession.

You are right I did use Word so that I could limit my misspelling because I have never used this webpage for typing in my life and am a horrible speller. Therefore I do not know how to use a spell checker on here. As for posting under multiple names I only have this one. Sorry new to how to use the forum besides reading the posts and I changed it because I am not a resident for three months. My mistake!

That is cool that you enjoyed teaching third years. I was never taught by you and can only comment on my rotation at BMC. Maybe some 3rd years will comment on how they liked their time at BMC and how they liked it out there. Because from what I heard people either loved it or hated it and that was split from the third years I talked to.
On that account, LCR it has been a pleasure going rounds with you in an exercise in futility and I am done arguing. I guess that I should go quitely into the wind because apparently no one wants to hear what is good about DMU. Only their faults.

very interesting thread. My question (from someone not in pod school yet) is that DMU cancelled a hospital rotation for a private practice rotation? Is that right? Did students have hands on experience in the hospital or was it observation only? Will the students be shadowing or will they have hands on in the new private practice rotation? Do students have other hospital rotations during 3rd year? Isn't broadlawns the county hospital where the DO students rotate? Just not sure why you would cancel a hospital rotation and replace with a private practice. Doesn't seem like the same type of experience.

very interesting thread. My question (from someone not in pod school yet) is that DMU cancelled a hospital rotation for a private practice rotation? Is that right? Did students have hands on experience in the hospital or was it observation only? Will the students be shadowing or will they have hands on in the new private practice rotation? Do students have other hospital rotations during 3rd year? Isn't broadlawns the county hospital where the DO students rotate? Just not sure why you would cancel a hospital rotation and replace with a private practice. Doesn't seem like the same type of experience.

Broadlawns cancelled their pod residency recently so maybe that is one of the reasons they ended the 3rd year rotation for DPM students.

It is true that DMU looks at this website but you and I both know that they would always take the high road and would not get on a forum and post. Most people have grown up and do not have enough time for this after being students.

If DMU was interested in taking the high road, they would never have pulled the Broadlawns rotation in the first place.

Interesting comments about font. I am also suspicious about your identity. Now the font is in a different color, like when a reply is made in Outlook. Is the administration emailing these comments around to each other for approval before posting?

I'm not a DPM student but the email that went out to DPM09 has been circulating. They even reference SDN in the email.

Hello, everyone. Long-time reader, first time poster...

I thought it necessary to make a post at this point in this thread as it has gone south quickly. I am a 3rd year student at DMU and felt my thoughts might be of some interest here. I had my BMC rotation a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. In the 2 weeks I was there I felt I learned a great deal. The attendings were extremely knowledgeable, the 4th years were knowledgeable, the hospital setting was very conducive to learning. It was a great experience. So, naturally, I was disappointed when I found out that the rotation was being cancelled.

Then I heard that students would be rotating with clinicians in private practice in the area and I was again excited. I have heard lectures from these two Docs and they are knowledgeable, professional, and they have large surgically-based practices. Good for the university for getting rotations with these well-know podiatrists in the community.

I immediately asked myself, "why can't we do both?" The profession is a mixture of hospital work and private practice. Both aspects are integral in our chosen careers. I am in no way pleased that the BMC rotation is gone. However, one can learn in any environment. I think the University does a great job and one can only hope that these moves have been made with the best interest of the students in mind.

I am not going to comment on the discussion on this thread, but I am currently on a month long rotation with Dr Barp and I can say it has been a great experience. By the end of your fourth year you have seen enough run of the mill podiatry offices and his is anything but. His office is in Methodist hospital and he is taking trauma call at the ER. His surgeries have been excellent and he is extremely knowledgeable. I think you third years and students to come will enjoy the time you spend with him and learn a lot.

And, you didn't comment, if it were so important your teachers were board certified, that most of your DMU faculty are not board certified and one is an outcast for unethical testimony and was admonished by the profession.

Thankyou, LCR, for teaching those of us who did get the chance to round with you. You are correct in stating that the experience at BMC was invaluable in introducing us to the world of a 4th year extern. The rotation was complete immersion in hospital-based podiatric medical education that prepared students to confidently impress programs next year. The environment, plus the excellent teaching of ALL Broadlawns attendings made for a great experience. The substitution of a private-practice rotation, no matter how qualified, is a definite disservice to the remaining clinic groups. This is not an isolated change in itself, but only the latest event that sadly makes me feel cheated by my own school. I've learned a lot from DMU, but I've done so under the auspices of administrators that are so cryptic and secretive about their childish feuds that I really wonder if they have MY (the paying student) best interests in mind.
I admire the fact that you're able to sign your posts. Yes, I am afraid of school administration reading my posts, and knowing what I think of their actions. I believe any other student on this board would say the same thing. It's somewhat of a shameful thing, but at this point I only want to finish my degree and move on. Once I'm a practicing podiatrist, I hope that I too will care enough to ensure a quality education for students, emphasizing integrity and accountability.
Thank you.