DMU schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncogene

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the class shedule in the first part of the semester at DMU. I think we have Biochem and intro to pod med right off the bat and then anatomy a little later in the semester. How long before anatomy and the other classes start? Also, is the course load pretty easy in the first few weeks before anatomy is added? Lastly, how are exams scheduled?

Oncogene

Members don't see this ad.

I can't say for sure but I think it anatomy started a week or two after biochem. You don't add anymore classes until another class is over. So once biochem is done you start histology. Yes the course load is light the first weeks but I would take it seriously b/c people get themselves in a hole early. Exams are scheduled for the mornings and rarely in the afternoon (I think only once in physiology). You'll get your block schedule at orientation.

oncogene said:
What is the class shedule in the first part of the semester at DMU. I think we have Biochem and intro to pod med right off the bat and then anatomy a little later in the semester. How long before anatomy and the other classes start? Also, is the course load pretty easy in the first few weeks before anatomy is added? Lastly, how are exams scheduled?

Oncogene

Hey Onc I am not sure if this link will work since it is on the DMU portal, but it has your whole year laid out in a strip chart. https://my.dmu.edu/portal/DocCache/200608030846_632901915721274132_2006-2007 STRIP CHART.xls
Just in case it doesn't work Anatomy starts on Aug 30 for you guys. Intro to Pod Med and Biochem both start on the 14th. Histology starts Oct 10th. Good luck and like Feelgood said come out strong on the first biochem test and you'll be glad you did once anatomy gets going. Exams are almost always at 8 AM except for anatomy which takes about four hours since you have a written test and a lab practical back to back. I am the student body Pres and normally I would meet with your class during orientation to answer questions, but I am going to be out of town at the APMSA conference. I have arranged for Feelgood and some of the class presidents to meet with you guys on Wednesday to answer question though. Just relax and try to enjoy yourself next week then get ready to study! Welcome to med school. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
gustydoc said:
Hey Onc I am not sure if this link will work since it is on the DMU portal, but it has your whole year laid out in a strip chart. https://my.dmu.edu/portal/DocCache/200608030846_632901915721274132_2006-2007 STRIP CHART.xls
Just in case it doesn't work Anatomy starts on Aug 30 for you guys. Intro to Pod Med and Biochem both start on the 14th. Histology starts Oct 10th. Good luck and like Feelgood said come out strong on the first biochem test and you'll be glad you did once anatomy gets going. Exams are almost always at 8 AM except for anatomy which takes about four hours since you have a written test and a lab practical back to back. I am the student body Pres and normally I would meet with your class during orientation to answer questions, but I am going to be out of town at the APMSA conference. I have arranged for Feelgood and some of the class presidents to meet with you guys on Wednesday to answer question though. Just relax and try to enjoy yourself next week then get ready to study! Welcome to med school. :D

HI,
I am also going to be a first-year student at DMU this fall, and I was wondering what the class schedule is like for a day during the fall semester? What time does class start and what time will we usually be done with class/labs? Thanks for any info.

Definitely stay ahead with Biochemistry the first couple of weeks because once anatomy starts it becomes harder to do so. We had classes pretty much every day from 8-12 with some exceptions of course. You will have lab once or twice a weed for three hours each time. I thought first semester was easier than the second semester but that is my opinion. Biochemistry is a well taught course and the notes are among the best we had during first year.

How often are tests given? Is it a weekly thing? I amjust trying to get an idea on how to budget my time. I have some other things going on for the first few weeks of the semester so I am little worried about study time. I gather the first 2 weeks aren't that demanding. Thanks for the replies. I heard something about big brothers but, I haven't heard from anyone.

oncogene

discusdan said:
Definitely stay ahead with Biochemistry the first couple of weeks because once anatomy starts it becomes harder to do so. We had classes pretty much every day from 8-12 with some exceptions of course. You will have lab once or twice a weed for three hours each time. I thought first semester was easier than the second semester but that is my opinion. Biochemistry is a well taught course and the notes are among the best we had during first year.

So except for one or two days per week, during the first semester of our first year, we'll be done with our day at noon and have the rest of the afternoon for studying and whatever else we have to do?? Just wondering if that sounds pretty accurate, thanks.

MarquetteGuy said:
So except for one or two days per week, during the first semester of our first year, we'll be done with our day at noon and have the rest of the afternoon for studying and whatever else we have to do?? Just wondering if that sounds pretty accurate, thanks.

Yes.
I would go to class, eat lunch from 12-1, and then study at the school until about 6 every day except for the few days before a test and then I would go longer. But as for class time, it is usually 8-12.

discusdan said:
Yes.
I would go to class, eat lunch from 12-1, and then study at the school until about 6 every day except for the few days before a test and then I would go longer. But as for class time, it is usually 8-12.

Ok great. Thanks for the info, it's good to hear.

I heard from day 1 it's class 8-12, weekly biochem tests and 3 hr. anatomy labs, when anatomy starts up. That's from the admissions coordinator Meghan Good. Has anyone heard from their "big brother/sister." I got a call from a guy, he was really nice, I'm assuming they're there to help you out w/ anything you need/advice?

Yeah, it just gives you someone to ask advice from. I think that SDN is a great replacement for a poopie big brother or sister.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Yeah, it just gives you someone to ask advice from. I think that SDN is a great replacement for a poopie big brother or sister.

Ya, and if they're a cool big brother/sister, they will take you out to lunch a few times a semester :cool:

densmore22 said:
I heard from day 1 it's class 8-12, weekly biochem tests and 3 hr. anatomy labs, when anatomy starts up. That's from the admissions coordinator Meghan Good. Has anyone heard from their "big brother/sister." I got a call from a guy, he was really nice, I'm assuming they're there to help you out w/ anything you need/advice?

Just curious,
So how exactly does the daily schedule work then if we only have two or three classes at a time? Are we in each class for 2 hours (with only having two classes), and do we have each class everyday M-F?? Just wondering how we go from 8-12 every day with having two classes? Just a little confused, thanks for any help.

MarquetteGuy said:
Just curious,
So how exactly does the daily schedule work then if we only have two or three classes at a time? Are we in each class for 2 hours (with only having two classes), and do we have each class everyday M-F?? Just wondering how we go from 8-12 every day with having two classes? Just a little confused, thanks for any help.

It really depends on the day. Some days you might have two hours of each class but some days you might have one hour of one class and three hours of another. To make it more confusing there will be some days where you might have four of one class and none of the other. It just depends on how the schedule things. But days that you have more lectures of a certain class it is because the next day you have a test in the opposite class. It really works to your benefit to only take two classes at an accelerated course than four classes at the same time

Haffadoc said:
It really depends on the day. Some days you might have two hours of each class but some days you might have one hour of one class and three hours of another. To make it more confusing there will be some days where you might have four of one class and none of the other. It just depends on how the schedule things. But days that you have more lectures of a certain class it is because the next day you have a test in the opposite class. It really works to your benefit to only take two classes at an accelerated course than four classes at the same time

Great, thanks for the help.

MarquetteGuy said:
Just curious,

I just found that if you go to the my.dmu.edu webpage, go to blackboard, you can get access to the syllabi for our two classes we are registered for, in case you didn't know because I didn't until 2 minutes ago.

Have any of you guys been to any of the pre-orientation stuff. I couldn't go to any of them. If so how were they?

What is the dress like for orientation? Like a pair of nice pants and a button up shirt? Just curious.Later

Oncogene

jonwill said:
Ya, and if they're a cool big brother/sister, they will take you out to lunch a few times a semester :cool:
It looks like I have a cool big sister then. :p I'm meeting mine tomorrow for lunch!

Eek. I can't believe I'm actually here and school is going to start so soon.

Just wanted to say hi to everybody! I'll be meeting you very shortly, I'm sure!

oncogene said:
Have any of you guys been to any of the pre-orientation stuff. I couldn't go to any of them. If so how were they?

What is the dress like for orientation? Like a pair of nice pants and a button up shirt? Just curious.Later

Oncogene

I went to the dinner thingy last night, I met one other 1st year DPM, but other than that, it was pretty clicky, a lot of 2nd year DO students and they weren't very sociable w/ people outside of their "groups." I am seriously hoping people in our class aren't like that because this will be a long year if people don't interact with each other. Personally, I am really excited to meet all of my peers and future coworkers.

Oncogene-

I thought it said somewhere about business casual during the day orientation, then dress for comfort at the evening and night stuff. I was planning on nice pants and a button up shirt.

densmore22 said:
Oncogene-

I thought it said somewhere about business casual during the day orientation, then dress for comfort at the evening and night stuff. I was planning on nice pants and a button up shirt.

Hey,
I asked Meghan about dress for orientation and she said it's really whatever you want to wear. She told me that there will be people in khakis and button-up shirts and people in shorts and tee shirts, so she said wear whatever you'll be most comfortable in. I don't know if that helps, but that's just what Meghan told me the other day.