DMU vs. AZCOM - HELP ME!!!! ; )

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMU or AZCOM?

• DMU

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • AZCOM

Votes: 30 48.4%

• Total voters

DOitright

Sprinting downhill!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey Everybody!

I am having a tough time deciding between AZCOM and DMU and am looking for some advice and other's thoughts! I know many of you have interviewed or are now attending one of these two schools. What are you using/did you use to decide between them?

I was impressed with both schools during my interviews but here are what my thoughts are as of now:

I thought the program itself was a little better at DMU; more estabilshed, and more little things (such as laptop, pda, wireless, new building etc.), but wasn't impressed with the city of Des Moines.

AZCOM is a newer school, and thus a newer, less "ironed-out" curriculum, although I was very impressed with the campus, faculty, staff and their attitude towards their program. They seemed to be very innovative and very much interested in the future of their program and their students.

Also...would it be hard getting third and fourth year clinical rotations at AZCOM, since they don't have as many affiliations as DMU? DMU does everything for you as far as setting up clinical rotations, and AZCOM leaves it up to you. This may be no big deal; I don't know how much effort is involved in setting up clinicals. A student at AZCOM seemed to think it was no big deal, but I don't think he had any first-hand experience (he is an MSII i think).

Am I frettin' the small stuff here? I know I should concentrate on my education at this stage of the game, and go to whichever school would suit me best, but I can't help compare the location of DMU vs. AZCOM.

Help me! ;)

Any comments are greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Docgeorge

Bent Over and Violated
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im my opinion sometimes you can over analyse things. I'm a big fan of going where do you think you feel you will be happy, if you are happy most everything else will sort it's self out.

DOitright

Sprinting downhill!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody...thanks for voting on the poll...but please drop a little line as to why you choose that school! Location? Reputation? Money? Or something more indepth?!

Thanks

Munchkin6245

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reasons (my own personal reasons, so if your gonna bash do it somewhere else) I did NOT choose AZCOM:

1. I don't like the location of Arizona, you're in the middle of a desert.
2. You set up your own rotations at AZCOM and I feel if I'm paying the administration $28K+ a year they should be able to do it for me.
3. When I interviewed I didn't get the feeling that I wanted to go there, I got the feeling I just wanted to leave. I felt that I didn't fit in there.
4. When we had our meeting with the Associate Dean he kept stating how wonderful their COMLEX passing numbers were but the "slide" they presented to us was missing information. And truthfully I don't see how 1-3% points is going to affect me whenever it's going to be ME taking the test and not the school. So, I feel that no matter where I go, it's gonna be up to me whether I pass the test or not.
5. The OMM lab was one huge room, and from other schools I've visited, I thought it was disappointing.
6. My main point for me not picking this school is that it just disappointed me after I interviewed elsewhere.

I'm gonna go eat lunch and then post why I like DMU.

Munchkin6245

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok back to what I was saying:

6. AZCOM's tuition for 2004-2005 was estimated at $34K and I think out of staters are budgeted around $52K, so you basically get $18K to live off. Rent is high in the Phoenix area....so compare that to DMU where the tuition is an estimated $30K and the budget is around $50K, that's $20K to live off and even though $2000 doesn't sound like a lot, it is when the rent in Des Moines is extremely cheaper than Phoenix.
7. Back to the rent thing...when we toured the oncampus apts I was literally shocked at the 1BR. I have lived in apts since 1997 and to pay THAT much for THAT apt would be absolutely ridiculous! I know there are other apts for me to choose from but this is just one point I'm making.

DMU (why I like it more than AZCOM or like it in general):

1. I like the smaller city feel that Des Moines has to offer. I grew up in a rural country town of a pop <2000, did my undergrad in a city with a pop of around 150,000, and I currently live in Houston. Des Moines is a perfect sized city for me.
2. It's safe and it's cheap. The amount of money they give you is sufficiently enough for anyone to live off of, including me...if you saw my bills you would understand. :( The people are "freakishly" friendly but I appreciate that since (as I will restate) I'm living in Houston.
3. Living in TX all my life, I really want to see some seasons! It's 90+ degrees outside right now and it's OCT. 24! WTF! The humidity is 84%!!!!! AHHHHH! It hasn't snowed here since 1984..and I don't mean more than 2 inches on the ground!
4. The tuition...it's cheaper. :p
5. I don't care what anyone says....I like it that we get a laptop and handheld! I want the school to give me something if I'm paying that much!
6. The school is more established and organized from what I saw, heard, and read.
7. I like the new building, even though it's not finished. Growth is always a good thing.
8. The atmosphere at the school was soo much more enjoyable. I really felt good there.
9. Even though this has nothing to do with why I chose the school, but the interviewers I had at DMU were awesome! They were the best interviewers I've had yet!
10. I like the proximity where you could do your rotations as to the Des Moines area. And you can do them out of state as well. I liked the organization they had behind the rotations as well.
11. They have a "Harvey". And we got to experience the simulator while we were there on the interview day. This is an awesome learning tool and I want to have those kind of resources available to me as a student.
12. The students were much more involved with each other, the community, and other schools. I feel like this will enhance the communication skills that we as physicians will need when we are out in the real world. Coming from an allied health field I think this would be greatly appreciated in the healthcare community.
13. I like the systems-based approach in the curriculum since I've already experienced this when I was obtaining my undergrad degree. Also the curriculum in general seemed better for me, as an educational environment that I will be able to thrive in.

So, these are just some of the reasons why I like DMU and not AZCOM. Everyone has their own reasons for liking some school over another, and you'll figure out yours when you decide on what's more important to you. You'll get the "feeling" that this is the right place for you. I also want to say that AZCOM isn't a bad school and DMU isn't the most perfect school. DMU just fits me better for myself. I hope this helps. :thumbup:

DOitright

Sprinting downhill!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Munchkin6245 said:
Ok back to what I was saying:

Thanks Munchkin! I agree with you completely about your thoughts on DMU! Great school!

What about the class size? During my interview they explained how they break things up, and it seemed great! THe only worry I have about a large class size is not getting the light of day from instructors...how could they possibly have time for 200+ students. But...is there really much of a difference between a class size of 100 and 200 when it comes down to it...they probably won't have time for 100 students either!

I liked both schools...I think the school is a little better in DMU, but from what I saw while interviewing at both places, Arizona was a nicer place to live. I just moved to Rochester MN last year from Hawaii...so maybe I'm still trying to thaw out from last winter!

As of now I'd say DMU has the lead! ; )

Any advocates for AZCOM have a response similar to munchkin's?

Docgeorge

Bent Over and Violated
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The class of 2008 was a freak accident. We gave out the usual number of accepctences last year and not many declined. Our school usually shoots for a class size of 190-200, and after you drop the straglers you usually end up with 190 or so per class.

Let me tell you about seeing the proffessors, you will absoultly have no trouble seeing a proffessor if you have a question. You can see them in person, e-mail them a question or call them. I have done all three. They dont mind you asking questions even if they are in their labs...99% of them are absolutely wonderfull. The 1% that are'nt are close to retirement. :D

Your lectures for the most part are given by experts in the field. This is espically true for second year. They really tie in basic sciences and clinical scieces. Pediatric Cardiology lectures are given by Pediatic Cardiologist, Pediatic Surgical problems are taught by Pediatiric surgeons, and Surgical Oncology of different systems are taught by surgical oncologists. These are some of the things that

Docgeorge

Bent Over and Violated
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The other thing that I absolutely love is the number of electives that are offered. There a chronic care program, medical spanish, current issiues in medicine, psyciatic disorders and the media, Phyician leadership, death and dying, to name a few.

There are a whole lot of others as well....maby babyruth can fill you in on some of the others.

babyruth

Babyruth
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, by the end of next year they will have around 15 different electives. I liked the school when I applied because of the student camraderie and friendly atmosphere. It fit my personality very well. If you want to know more about the city, you can search through recent threads because I have already posted on it before. At least it's not the size of Kirksville, no offense to the homeland of course...

DOitright

Sprinting downhill!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks a lot...this is really helping me...looks like i'll probably be in Des Moines next year! ; )

Ypo.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey DOitright.

I didn't interview at AZCOM, but I did interview at DMU and several other schools, and I can say that DMU impressed me very much. The large class size will not hurt any individual attention from proffs, from what I've heard from those who attend there.

BTW-I just moved from Hawaii to Michigan a couple months ago...I KNOW how you feel! Its starting to get cold....brrrr...but I just think about how I'm going to be in medical school in the fall, and then I get all warm inside.

DOitright

Sprinting downhill!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yposhelley--

i know what you mean about gettin' cold. i've been through one winter so i know what's coming! ;) nah..the first winter wasn't that bad because it was the first...but winters are long, and i'm not as optimistic about the fun going to be had this winter!

are you going to be attending MSUCOM? i interviewed there wasn't too impressed. I know they're a great school! but they did little to recruit at the interview! i guess they don't have to with the number of applicants they get and their reputation of being such a good school! good luck!

DOitright

Sprinting downhill!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone--

AZCOM is beating DMU in the poll, but nobody's saying why that is the case! If you voted for AZCOM...list some reasons why! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)

Truce57

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
DOitright said:
Hey Everyone--

AZCOM is beating DMU in the poll, but nobody's saying why that is the case! If you voted for AZCOM...list some reasons why! ;)

Not much experience to speak from, but I just interviewed at AZCOM on Monday and FELL IN LOVE with the place. I plan on turning down allo invites from my state (Ohio) schools to go there at this point.

I did not apply to DMU for one reason: Des Moines. My sister went to Drake there for undergrad, and I just don't feel like the city has anything to offer me, so why would I stay there for four years. I'm sure the curriculum is great, but AZCOM has more than 15 electives, and you even get one in your M1 year.

If you like beautiful year-round weather with NO HUMIDITY, then Phoenix metro area is for you. I also like that I GET TO (as oppposed to have to) set up my own 3rd and 4th year rotations. They totally have local affiliations if that's your bag, but there is an M3 there now who is doing her ENTIRE M3 and M4 years in New York where she's from. The Associate Dean who gave the powerpoint presentation said that they work with you to make sure you are able to take the didactic exams at the end of each rotation and that you'd have to come back to campus occasionally, but that's fine by me.

I have a friend whose an M2 there now and she freaking loves the place. She turned down an allo offer from Michigan to go. I'm so stoked after visiting, and if I get an acceptance, I know where I'll be next fall. Phoenix, baby, Phoenix!

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
make your decision where you feel comfortable.

Soon2BDrJones

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
AZCOM rocks! I have interviewed and been accepted to all 6 DO schools that I have interviewed and turned down 7 interviews Des Moines being one of them. Arizona's +++++'s that I have found,
1. WOnderful weather I love the warmth
2. Great Housing for cheap
3. High pass rate
4. The school is the most intense about grades and board schools that I have seen
5. Students love their school
6. Great and friendly students
7. The Mayo Clinic is in Arizona
8. Great and respected professors
9. WOnderful campus
10. IT IS NEAR THE WEST COAST!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh:

THE ONLY DOWN SIDE THAT I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FIND IS I DO NOT LIKE THE LECTURE HALL I WISH IT WAS STADIUM SEATING WITH TABLES

LukeWhite

USC Pulm/CCM 2014
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
DrJones,

You'll have the table/stadium seating in your second year. First year students got a bum deal with the lecture halls this year, but that's an artifact of the new podiatry school. It hasn't been like that in the past, so perhaps you'll get your stadium seating yet.

Boomer

Supreme Sooner Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Soon2BDrJones said:
AZCOM rocks! I have interviewed and been accepted to all 6 DO schools that I have interviewed and turned down 7 interviews Des Moines being one of them. Arizona's +++++'s that I have found,
1. WOnderful weather I love the warmth
2. Great Housing for cheap
3. High pass rate
4. The school is the most intense about grades and board schools that I have seen
5. Students love their school
6. Great and friendly students
7. The Mayo Clinic is in Arizona
8. Great and respected professors
9. WOnderful campus
10. IT IS NEAR THE WEST COAST!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh:

THE ONLY DOWN SIDE THAT I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FIND IS I DO NOT LIKE THE LECTURE HALL I WISH IT WAS STADIUM SEATING WITH TABLES

1. Weather is what it is. Some people like year round warmth (choose AZCOM). Others like season change (choose DMU).
2. I wouldn't call Phoenix housing cheap. New and nice definitely, but not cheap. Maybe it depends on your point of reference (if you grew up in LA or NYC, then yes, it is cheap, but what wouldn't be?)
3. Probably made to be a bigger deal than it really is. My class (04) had AZCOM's lowest pass rate for Step I (93%). I don't think it's made a huge difference one way or the other. There is something to be said for curriculum and preparation, but at the end of the day, you're the one who fills in the bubbles.
4. Definitely intense re: grades. Made my class have a VERY competitive feel, although I've heard that other classes weren't so cutthroat.
5. Several love it. Some hate it. Several are in the middle. Probably true at most places.
6. Probably true at most places.....keep in mind that you don't meet the pricks at your interview (you know, guys like me).
7. Actually, THE Mayo Clinic is significantly closer to DMU. However, any student from any med school in the country can do two months of rotations at any Mayo campus he or she chooses. Wouldn't let this have an effect on choice of school.
8. Although I'm aware that some of the faculty has changed since I finished year two, I agree. Basic science faculty is top notch (clinical I won't be so quick to praise).
9. I really loved the campus and area when I interviewed....3 months into school it occurred to me that I didn't know what happened to the trees....it's funny the things you miss.....I can't imagine that the addition of the DPM program can help the campus. True though, the facilities are nice and very modern.
10. Definite disadvantage.....I don't need to live that close to the Left Coast again in my lifetime.....(again, personal preference)

I graduated from AZCOM, and I think I received a good education. Much of the clinical education is self-driven, but I get the impression that this is true of most of the private DO schools. I believe that had I gone to DMU, I would have felt the same at the end of four years. I'd base my decision (if I had to do it again) on which place I liked best. Basically, I'd decide based on the touchy-feely "intangible" aspects (where did you feel more like you'd "fit in"; where would you prefer to live, etc....)

Good luck.

Boomer

Supreme Sooner Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
LukeWhite said:
DrJones,

You'll have the table/stadium seating in your second year. First year students got a bum deal with the lecture halls this year, but that's an artifact of the new podiatry school. It hasn't been like that in the past, so perhaps you'll get your stadium seating yet.

Are you saying that they turned the MS I lecture hall into lecture hall for the podiatry school?? Man, that's something else if that's the case.

They repeatedly told our class that nothing would be sucked out of the med school for the pods....Granted, most of us were concerned about resources/faculty, but still.....just ain't right, I tell ya whut...

cdreed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Boomer said:
Are you saying that they turned the MS I lecture hall into lecture hall for the podiatry school?? Man, that's something else if that's the case.

They repeatedly told our class that nothing would be sucked out of the med school for the pods....Granted, most of us were concerned about resources/faculty, but still.....just ain't right, I tell ya whut...
No. The PAs get the old MSI lecture hall. The podiatry students and the MSIs take the same classes together, therefore they needed more space. Hence, the combination class was moved to Ocotillo for lectures.

LukeWhite

USC Pulm/CCM 2014
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think PAs are in there now, actually. The pod students take some of the classes with the MS-1's, though, and so they had to put them into a larger hall. Or something. I didn't keep up with it really.

It is, however, cramped and unpleasant for the first years, and frankly, if I were torn between schools and thought everything else was equal, this would tip the balance for me. That's a lot of time to spend in a room with creaky little fold-up desks.

Of course, I don't think everything is equal, and since most classes in any school are best skipped anyway, I wouldn't advise torn DMU vs AZCOMmers to make their decision based upon lecture hall setup. It is, like so many other things here, subject to change without warning, and though not in this case, usually for the better.

Pooh Chong

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Boomer said:

NO. Most lectures are in Ocotillo instead of Suhuaro, this is because the basic science classes are taken together with the podiatry students. The podiatry students aren't getting special treatment or preferred treatment. Last year the PA students were with the DO class, and this year it is podiatry students. I don't mind it as I don't think that the combined classes take away from the education experience of these lectures. I would agree that the Suhuaro lecture hall is better than Ocotillo...but I don't mind it.

By the way...I am sure that DMU is great, so I can't give much advice of one over the other...but I can say that AZCOM is a fantastic school, and they truly set you for success and want you to succeed. I can't be happier with my choice. I chose AZCOM over MSUCOM, COMP, TOURO, UHS, and turned down interviews from NSUCOM and OSUCOM. All of these schools are fantastic in each of their own ways...choose the one that fits what you are looking for.

LukeWhite

USC Pulm/CCM 2014
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year the PAs were with us only for physiology. With deference and apologies to PAs, I for one did feel that this detracted from our education. Physiology was taught on a level far more basic than I was expecting. I don't know anything about podiatry, but I suspect that combining the classes necessarily detracts a little bit from the focus of the classes.

This point was not advertised to me when I applied. I would have still gone to AZCOM had I known about the PA/DO setup, though I might have thought twice about it if I knew the nature of the physiology and immunology classes. Each has some wonderful professors, and then some not-so-good ones. That's not unique to AZCOM, but having a class with multiple disciplines does seem to make it less likely that the departments will respond to student concerns in a focused manner.

Again, all that said, AZCOM's fantastic. Everyone raves about the first two years and says that the last two are iffy; I personally think the converse. Having started to firm up some of my rotations and gotten an idea of the procedures I can expect to be doing as a third year (Dozens of deliveries in a *famly practice* rotation! Central venous and radial artery lines!) , I'm pretty excited that the promise of the setup seems to be a reality. And despite the problem spots in the preclinical years, the administration is fairly nimble, and the departments are by and large responsive to student concerns.

Kent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm also deciding if I'll attend DMU or AZCOM?
Could you please tell what the daily schedule is like at each school. When do you have lectures, labs, and time to study? Thanks!

cremaster2007

Birthday cake remix
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At dmu you have lecture usually 8-12 with labs for 2 hours in the afternoon.........you usually have one omm lecture a week for an hour and a half from 1-2:30. Some weeks you have labs 3 days, others 2 (anatomy for example). 2nd year seems to give you much more free time, as we don't seem to have as many labs right now, though its wise to use the spare time for boards preparation:)