DMU vs KCU-Kansas City

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dayo11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help me decide between KCU- Kansas City and DMU. I have family in Minnesota but my boyfriend lives in California. I am super interested in global health and in dermatology (I’m aware my interest might change).

DMU

Pros:
-2022 match rate: 100%
-Core Clinical site closer to family
-School seems super supportive. I have met with school representative to go over requirements and financial aid even though I haven’t made any deposit.
-New campus with high tech + gym + pool
-Early clinical exposure

Cons:
-Graded Curriculum
-High Tuition: $61,304
-Small town from what I heard and not much to do
-Lack of diversity
-No global health track
-Didn’t match dermatology
-More OMM

KCU-Kansas City Campus

Pros:
-2022 match rate: 97.9% (not as good as DMU tho)
-Core rotation site closer to boyfriend
-Cheaper tuition: $51,634
-Grading: Pass/Fail
-Early clinical exposure: Virtual reality and use of standardized patients
-Global Health track
-Heard more diverse and great food
-Early clinical rotation
-Matched Dermatology

Cons:
-Heard curriculum is hard
-Faculty not really supportive especially during 4th year
-Unsafe area

Members don't see this ad.

DMU = KCU. Go with the cheaper option, or the one you like the most. It doesn't really matter in this case.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Imo KCU. Core rotations closer to bf. Family in MO.P/F and it’s cheaper.

Current KCU-KC 4th year here.

Don’t worry about match rates or how many people matched derm. Matching anything is 100% on you and your school will really have no effect on how well you’ll do when it comes to matching. Derm is extremely competitive for any DO no matter where you go. Having a p/f preclinical curriculum is huge. I know cause our curriculum switched from letter grades to p/f at the end of 1st year and p/f is 10000x better.

As for you KCU cons
Yes the curriculum is hard, but you’ll be fine.

The faculty is not supportive 3rd or 4th year. Trust me this is a benefit, you set your schedule and do what’s best for your career not just BS the school wants. I’m applying ortho and I’m glad they have really just stayed out of my way lol.

The area next to the school isn’t best, but KC isn’t bad.

Feel free to DM me

Reactions: 1 user
I am super interested in global health and in dermatology (I’m aware my interest might change).
In the 2022 PD Survey, 86% of dermatology programs said they never or seldom interview DO applicants. If you intend on matriculating into a DO school, perhaps temper your expectations and reassess your goals.

The amount of ppl who wanted to do ortho at the start of OMS1 vs the amount of ppl even applying this cycle is comical.

Everyone thinks they will be different and can break through at the start then they go thru the system and see how unrealistic and how many obstacles are in your way.

Derm is way worse than ortho