DMU vs. Western U

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slick27

controversial
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been recently accepted to DMU, but I have an interview at Western U comming up at the end of Jan. Should I go on my interview at Western U? How does Western U compare to DMU?

I'm from WI and I could really see myself going to DMU. I was very impressed with the school.

Members don't see this ad.

Western is a good school, but DMU is a damn fine one as well. If you are really in love with DMU then go for it. I think California might be a culture shock for you if you're from Wisconsin.

This is a very common question, Ive personally been asked like 6 times via PM or something like that. The bottom line is that both are great schools. In terms of the actual school itself, i was more impressed with DMU - hands down. Its just a very impressive set up with amazing facilities. On top of that, the people were great, as I'm sure youve experienced. I agree with Moss that if you are from Wisconsin it might be shocking to go to souther california, especially Pomona, CA. Western is a great school, but people tend to complain about the campus and the surrounding area, i dunno how important these things are to you though. If you have the money and the time to spare, I'd say definitely visit. Western has a tendency to surprise people (in terms of people loving it when they didnt expect to) so you never know. Really think about whether or not you'll be happy in California. Rotations are another thing to think about....one of the major complains I have heard about Western is that the school abandons its students for 3rd and 4th year. Now, things might have changed (and i hear that the school is working hard to improve this aspect of the education) but i really dont konw.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a very common question, Ive personally been asked like 6 times via PM or something like that. The bottom line is that both are great schools. In terms of the actual school itself, i was more impressed with DMU - hands down. Its just a very impressive set up with amazing facilities. On top of that, the people were great, as I'm sure youve experienced. I agree with Moss that if you are from Wisconsin it might be shocking to go to souther california, especially Pomona, CA. Western is a great school, but people tend to complain about the campus and the surrounding area, i dunno how important these things are to you though. If you have the money and the time to spare, I'd say definitely visit. Western has a tendency to surprise people (in terms of people loving it when they didnt expect to) so you never know. Really think about whether or not you'll be happy in California. Rotations are another thing to think about....one of the major complains I have heard about Western is that the school abandons its students for 3rd and 4th year. Now, things might have changed (and i hear that the school is working hard to improve this aspect of the education) but i really dont konw.
Doesn't DMU abandon students for 3 rd and 4th years too?

DMU all the way......I interviewed at Western and was rather disappointed

Doesn't DMU abandon students for 3 rd and 4th years too?

No not at all. Or at least I havent heard that complaint. The only complaint ive heard about 3/4 year at DMU is that you dont really know where you are going to be and/or you might move around. Only about half of the students end up staying Iowa. The other half are placed in states such as Michigan and Ohio. But I wouldnt describe them as abandoning their students.

No not at all. Or at least I havent heard that complaint. The only complaint ive heard about 3/4 year at DMU is that you dont really know where you are going to be and/or you might move around. Only about half of the students end up staying Iowa. The other half are placed in states such as Michigan and Ohio. But I wouldnt describe them as abandoning their students.

DoctorB and RySerr21,
Thanks!

I also have an interview at Midwestern-Downers grove comming up, how does that school compare to DMU? I know the cost of attending is less at DMU.

I was 99.999% sure I was going to DMU. I withdrew every application other than Western... and then I got an interview invite from Western today. Now I'm starting to question myself. I know the standard of living in California is > Iowa. DMU's cost of attendance budget is around 60K/ year. Does anyone know Western's?

From what I've gathered in this thread and others:

Location Western > DMU (subjective of course)

Cost DMU > Western

3/4 Year DMU > Western

If anyone has other comments I'd love to hear it!

I say go check it out.

I pretty much withdraw my other applications after the Nova acceptance. I was 99.999% sure I would be attending Nova till I actually visited Western. (FYI those other schols include AZCOM, CCOM, DMU, NYCOM, etc. I didn't send primary to KCOM or PCOM. )

At one point I even canceled my flight, hotel, and car reservations because I like Nova so much. But for the sake of not regretting later on I did book a last minute flight and went. I am glad I did. I was very impressed.

The only reservation I had before the visit: alleged "rough" neighborhood in downtown Pomona. But seeing is believing.

Here's how I would do the (in)equation:

Location Western > DMU (not totally subjective)

Cost DMU > Western (yeah it's weird looking. Cost of living DMU has the edge, but cost of living is not the only thing that defines educational cost). Keep in mind COA is primarily for loan purposes.

3/4 Year DMU = Western (both are good schools, what's with the alleged "abandening"? Someone care to elaborate with facts?)

I was 99.999% sure I was going to DMU. I withdrew every application other than Western... and then I got an interview invite from Western today. Now I'm starting to question myself. I know the standard of living in California is > Iowa. DMU's cost of attendance budget is around 60K/ year. Does anyone know Western's?

From what I've gathered in this thread and others:

Location Western > DMU (subjective of course)

Cost DMU > Western

3/4 Year DMU > Western

If anyone has other comments I'd love to hear it!

Thanks for posting Nikon! Weird how things work out, huh? I've decided to go to the interview with an open mind and pretend like I don't have any acceptances yet. I can't make up my mind until I see the school. I really hope I either LOVE it or HATE it. Great situation to be in, but I just can't decide lol!

From what I can gather about 3/4th year at both schools:

I think the people say DMU 'abandons' 4th year is because there is basically no core. You pretty much get a TON of time for electives, which means it's up to you to set things up. I think most people, especially those going for competitive fields, see this as an advantage. For Western, I've just heard different things about their 3/4th years. One review in the 'Pros and Cons of your DO school' thread says that they were dissatisfied with their clinical years and did feel like the school kind of just gave up, and others have raved about the quality and ease of clinicals??? I think you'd have to do quite a bit of digging and research and definitely try to talk with 4th year med students at COMP.

I have been recently accepted to DMU, but I have an interview at Western U comming up at the end of Jan. Should I go on my interview at Western U? How does Western U compare to DMU?

I'm from WI and I could really see myself going to DMU. I was very impressed with the school.

Western's big advantage is that a large percentage of graduates get residencies in California. Some DMU graduates go to California but not many. If you are looking to work out West, schools like Western, Touro Ca, and AZCOM might be better suited.