DMU waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slick27

controversial
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why they waitlist some applicants at DMU even if they interview early in the application cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

what do you mean? Just cuz you interview early doesn't mean its an automatic acceptance. You've still gotta have a good interview, and they will still review your file in depth when making the final decision. That means they could invite an applicant with an okay gpa/mcat, beceause there were other things on the app that made them interested. Maybe after interview, they decided that they werent' impressed enough to grant an acceptance....you konw? I dunno, its all speculation. But i think the biggest fault in your reasoning is that an early interview somehow means its unlikely to get rejected/waitlisted.

Does anyone know why they waitlist some applicants at DMU even if they interview early in the application cycle?

I'm pretty sure there are waitlists for all schools, and no matter how early you interview. Did you think early interview = early acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure there are waitlists for all schools, and no matter how early you interview. Did you think early interview = early acceptance?

Usually at PCSOM, early interview = early acceptance but everyone can agree that earlier is better. But to the OP, hang in there it still pretty early in the process!

slick27, how did your interview go?
what do your stats/ECs look like?
did you sell your self well?

My Stats:

MCAT 29O
PS 10
VR 7
BS 12
WS O

GPA overall 3.75
Science 3.81

EMT and CNA for two years......>4,000 hours since everybody on SDN likes using hours.
plus one year of research at MCW....>2,000 hours
Marathons
Certified lifegurad....worked as one for 4 years at a beach...yes, it was sweet.
Certified scuba diver
Medical director for my EMT job is a DMU graduate

Last edited:
once you get the interview, i thinkt he interview plays a bigger role in your acceptance than your stats
so how do you think you fared in your interviews?

once you get the interview, i thinkt he interview plays a bigger role in your acceptance than your stats
so how do you think you fared in your interviews?

true. I got grilled so we'll see how they thought I fared under pressure :xf:

i thought the interview went well, untill they started asking me question about allopathic and osteopathic medicine. My brother and father are both MD's. So I don't know if that part of the interview went very well.

how did you handle the response?
did you talk about your osteopathic experiences and how those affected your decision?

This was a hard question for me, since I see many more similarities between allopathic and osteopathic medicince than differences. However, I know thats not what adcom members like to hear....lol.

For what it is worth...a friend of mine was accepted even though he was completely grilled at his interview AND had poor stats. I don't think that a difficult interview necessarily means rejection. If you maintained your composure, I'm sure you did fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
This was a hard question for me, since I see many more similarities between allopathic and osteopathic medicince than differences. However, I know thats not what adcom members like to hear....lol.

thats always a hard one to answer :(

its hard to come up with concrete differences especially when 3 people are staring at you waiting for a well thought out response. especially since you have family who are practicing MD's and work on an equal playing field with DO's. DMU tends to ask about this more pointedly than other schools Ive noticed, I definitely got this one and it was kind of hard pressed.

Last edited:
I got grilled pretty hard. I felt as though the interview went well, and when I left I flet good about it. However, I still landed on the waitlist, so I must not have done as well as I thought. I have rehashed everything that was said, and I still don't think I had any major blunders. I was grilled specifically over the fact that I recieved a drinking ticket in college (when I was 19). Although I was prepared for that question, and thought I answered it well, one of the interviewers would not let it go and kept dissecting my answers. Who knows.

why would you have to put a drinking ticket on your application? they only require to disclose misdemeanors and felonies. I would not of disclosed the drinking ticket, unless I was specifically asked about it, other wise don't ask, don't tell.

why would you have to put a drinking ticket on your application? they only require to disclose misdemeanors and felonies. I would not of disclosed the drinking ticket, unless I was specifically asked about it, other wise don't ask, don't tell.

You can get a misdemeanor for an MIP....its possible that it was more than an infraction. If it wasnt a misdemeanor, then you don't have disclose it.

perhaps I shouldn't have put in on the application. However, the application did ask if I was ever the recipient of any conduct violations by any college or school. As a result of my MIP, I was given a conduct violation by my college (the local police department notifies the school of all student incidents). My school had a three-strikes you're out policy (I only ever got strike one). Regardless, my advisor said this would be viewed as a minor incident, and would not prohibit me from gaining acceptance to any schools, since it was an isolated incident. Perhaps that was bad advice, but I also have been told that if I didn't disclose the incident and a med school found out about it elsewhere (i.e. a background check), that I ran the risk of being denied admission, even after acceptance.

Nonetheless, I was still grilled about it hard, even after I gave what I thought was a good response. It was really only one of the interviewers who really seemed to care.

I also have been told that if I didn't disclose the incident and a med school found out about it elsewhere (i.e. a background check), that I ran the risk of being denied admission, even after acceptance.

I say always disclose..the stakes are too high.

I say you made the right move. It's better to have it out in the open than have it give you problems in the future because you didn't disclose it.

Well if it is not a misdemeanor or felony they could not kick you out of school. Since they did not ask for it to be disclosed. If they tried to kick me out, I would have my share of lawyers that would glady take my case. The school would lose, period. They can't say after the fact they want tickets other than misdemeanors or felonies disclosed.

Like I said, full discloser avoids future problems. For example, LEGAL FEES.:eek:

Well if it is not a misdemeanor or felony they could not kick you out of school. Since they did not ask for it to be disclosed. If they tried to kick me out, I would have my share of lawyers that would glady take my case. The school would lose, period. They can't say after the fact they want tickets other than misdemeanors or felonies disclosed.

AACOMAS asked for this information. By not providing it, my application would not be completely accurate, would it? My university code violation was the direct result of my ticket. Regardless, I put it on the app, and there is nothing I can do now. I thought it was fair game to be asked about it, just not in the manner I was asked at DMU.

your case is kind of special since it was handled by your university. but, if it were not on your academic record and was not a misdemeanor or felony, then I would not think you would have to put it on your application. but, I agree disclosing it should not of affected your chances of acceptance. In my opinion an underage drinking ticket is a very very minor offense. If I were interviewing an applicant I would not even have it affect my decision since I myself have done it, but I was luckly not caught. Everybody has a past, and have done things against the law.....its just a matter of if they were caught or not.