DNA - transcription, replication, translation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has got to be THE most boring part of biochemistry!! I can not get into it for the life of me and I have a test covering replication, transcription and translation in two weeks. Does anyone have any hints for making DNA stuff easier, more intersting, more streamlined for studying?

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/bown/2003/article/0,18881,537113,00.html

Makes learning DNA fun for kids!!

But seriously...I dunno. I would personally sing songs about it while I studied, so long as nobody could hear. (screw that, I'd sing it in public too).

If you like drawing, draw it.

If you like writing, write goofy stories about it.

Maybe even some upbeat music that you enjoy playing in the background would help?

I know how you feel. So far almost everything I've learned in biochemistry has been rather boring to me. Pratik pokes me in the ribs every day to keep me awake. And for that I am grateful.

You can do it!

Turn it into a song .

Members don't see this ad :)
Seen Jurassic Park? Imagine Mr. DNA is going through it all.

"from yer blood!!!"

I feel your pain. Got tested over it last week. Unfortunately my only strategy is repeatedly go over notes and make the sad attempt of regurgitation as I try to draw it all out. Nucleic acids suck balls for the most part, even if they're the blueprints for life. On that note, biochem itself is quite a ball sucking experience overall. God...only 2 more months left to get through... :scared:

Napoleon1801 said:
On that note, biochem itself is quite a ball sucking experience overall. God...only 2 more months left to get through... :scared:

I wish that I could say the same. Mek, Erk, SOS, PDE, EiF-2b, EIF-4e. Yeah, pre-meds. That's the crap you're going to be swimming in.

redgrover said:
I wish that I could say the same. Mek, Erk, SOS, PDE, EiF-2b, EIF-4e. Yeah, pre-meds. That's the crap you're going to be swimming in.

Did you guys ever see these molecules in undergrad? We learned about at least Mek, SOS, and PDE in biochem in undergrad. I have a feeling we went into almost as much detail as med school biochem, and we used a med school text.

TIGIBedHead said:
Did you guys ever see these molecules in undergrad? We learned about at least Mek, SOS, and PDE in biochem in undergrad. I have a feeling we went into almost as much detail as med school biochem, and we used a med school text.

I never did in undergrad, but I only had intro to biochem class with intro to the basic macromolecules (which I already had seen 4-5 times in other bio classes...). It's probably pretty hard to find a good instructor (that isn't already working at a research center) willing to put in the team to teach these kinds of things at the undergrad level

I'd say metabolism, in general, is the most boring part of biochemistry. :( :thumbdown:

Megalofyia said:
This has got to be THE most boring part of biochemistry!! I can not get into it for the life of me and I have a test covering replication, transcription and translation in two weeks. Does anyone have any hints for making DNA stuff easier, more intersting, more streamlined for studying?
Are you kidding? That's like the BEST part of Biochem. :love: :love:

Good luck, Frau Gotha. :thumbup:

BLEEEEEEEEECCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHH.......I'd argue to say that there is no BEST part of biochem.......unless you count the day the class ends. Thats the best part by far

I would've totally failed that block of my molecular med class if I didn't have a decent study group full of dorks like me that actually got excited about how polymerase reads 3'->5'.

Seriously--the boring **** is MUCH easier to get through if you talk it out with people, explain it to each other, etc, etc....

Make it into a rap song if you're into that kind of thing :).
Or a slow like Richard Marx
"Whereever DNA goes, whatever you do , you need to unwind before I can copy you"

Ok that sucked..