Translational vs. Clinical Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

little_giant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a MS1 looking for a research mentor in Surgery. I have basic science research exposure and publications as well as some clinical research exposure (no pubs or anything significant).
Though I enjoyed basic science research, I don't think there is any way to really delve myself in there like I did in undergrad because of the time commitment of med school.

Thankfully though, one of the professors I am considering asking does both basic science and translational research, and he is a big name in his field. I was going to ask him about joining one of his translational research projects.

My question though is Is translational research harder to get published than clinical research or even not looked as favorably as clinical research (I know some have said PDs prefer clinical research over basic science)?
I intend to choose one mentor and stick with him/her as long as I don't change interests so I wanted to make sure I don't get stuck in a hole later on when I spent 1000 hours doing research with no pubs or anything to show for it..

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Translational research usually takes longer to do for multiple reasons. First, it is usually prospective. Second, it requires knowledge about the basic science principles that are being applied in the clinical setting. Amassing a sizable cohort for study, and getting up to speed with the basic knowledge will take a lot of time.

I have quite a bit of clinical research experience in surgery. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Reactions: 1 users