Do A&P classes count as biology classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bnmakr1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do A&P classes count as biology credits or do I need to take biology as well?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do A&P classes count as biology credits or do I need to take biology as well?

Thanks.
In Lieu of General Biology 1 and 2? Depends. I know for a fact they do in the Caribbean big 4. In DO school? Maybe. E-mail the programs. My gut reaction is to say no. I've e-mailed a few MD programs and they said no.

Yeah I would say no also, but it might be worth giving the schools a call. A lot of the schools specifically say that it must be general biology with a laboratory component.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I had to use it for one of my bio labs because portion 1 of bio at my school did not have a lab. It was accepted by the schools i applied to.

It is BCPM/ Sci gpa. However you'll need 2 biology classes with lab to be considered. Of one of those I recommend the other be biology 1.

Well, I had to use it for one of my bio labs because portion 1 of bio at my school did not have a lab. It was accepted by the schools i applied to.

Whoa!?! Really? Here is my list of courses taught from the biology dept, before 10 seconds ago, I didn't think any of these counted toward the 8 cr?? Seriously, I might not need to take general 1 and 2?? That can't be true- can I ask who/where has had success with alternate courses counting toward the bio requirement?

intro bio (no lab) 3
anatomy & physiology 1 with lab 4
anatomy & physilogy 2 with lab 4
microbiology with lab 4

I contacted several DO schools recently about this same question. They all said that as long as your bio credits amount to 6 lecture and 2 labs hours, you're fine. In fact, one said as long as they show coming from the Bio department they'll be fine. I specifically asked about physiology, in fact

That said, at my school there are two sets of A&P classes; A&P I and A&P II for all sorts of non-bio majors, they're for everything from recreation management majors to the nursing program pre-reqs. Then there are Human Anatomy and Human Physiology for the Bio majors. I was specifically asking the med schools about the latter two.​

Forget the AP and take a college bio course w lab. They're fun and you will learn something. AND you won't have to fuss about whether or not AP will transfer to schools.