Do adcoms care about my Puerto Rican grandmother

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

23yroldNontrad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am pale, learned Spanish through school, and have a stereotypically Irish last name.

If I claim I am partially Latino on the basis of my Puerto Rican grandmother, whom I never met, would an adcom care at all?

Would it make any difference? Would it hurt me?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you normally put when surveys/questionnaires/etc ask you about your race/ethnicity? If for 20+ years you have been putting white, now is not the time to change it up.

Reactions: 1 users
I would say no. And alot of Puerto Ricans are pale.
My rule is that if you have to ask if you can put down a specific race/ethnicity then you probably shouldn't. Put what you always identify as ,and not something new because of a boost.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I accept that it would be a bad idea from you guys, but because I am curious now, would it hurt me or just be neutral?

It would hurt you. Especially if your interviewer is from Puerto Rico which does happen. It seems like the worst of embellishments and trying to game the system. Some Adcoms will view this as a character issue and would turn you away. So it would hurt alot more than help. I understand the urge to try and embellish to improve your chances but this is not one area I think it's smart to do so. Maybe on a EC it would be safer but race /ethnicity is such a big part of a person self identity it's pretty hard to embellish and of caught the reaction will be more severe than you imagine. .. speaking for myself I would be pretty pissed if someone claimed to be jamaican because of a boost

Also, I would like to add that Puerto Ricans are one of the most passionate people about their culture /heritage that I have ever met so they might be especially not receptive to ur idea

Reactions: 1 user
Well, without getting into whether race has the sanctity that answer implies it does, thanks for answering! This is in general a very helpful forum and thanks for your advice.

Well, without getting into whether race has the sanctity that answer implies it does, thanks for answering! This is in general a very helpful forum and thanks for your advice.
It would really benefit you if you have had significant volunteerism* or work in clinics that serve a Hispanic community.

* like at least 1-2 year($) of emotionally fulfilling work