• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2001
1,584
9
Visit site
Status
Pre-Medical
Ya know, my research professor today sent me the draft of the letter he is writing me, and it is strong indeed. He's just one of those people who writes very well, and stuff. Since i've been working with him for over 4 years, he had a lot to say. All VERY positive, and nothing is made up or what not.

BUt this is what i'm wondering about. If letters of rec are all extraordinary, or at least someone says something really profoundly positive, do the adcom's take it seriously? Do they give the writers a benefit of a doubt? I know that the adcom's know that all these people should say something positive about the person since these are letters of recommendation, but how much weight would 1, 2 or even 3 letters of rec that says profound things have on one's prospects on getting an interview?
 

CaptainJack02

let's stir and shake
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2002
1,255
6
Boston
Visit site
Status
Why do you say "benefit of the doubt?" Is there something about your app that is weak? I think you are right that they expect positive letters. A negative letter raises red flags, I'm sure. But positive letters seem to be reinforcements of your personality, drive, motivation, etc. So I guess it adds one more dimension to your app. Basically, I don't think having incredible rec's would guarantee you an interview - you need other things to back it up.

My 2c.
 

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2001
1,584
9
Visit site
Status
Pre-Medical
Actually quote the opposite, it my letters sound outstanding, just afraid there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing" could be bad.
 
About the Ads

jhk43

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2004
305
0
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by relentless11
Actually quote the opposite, it my letters sound outstanding, just afraid there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing" could be bad.
adcoms have spent their lives reading these things. they can smell authenticity, as this letter is merely 1 component of your file
 

omarsaleh66

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
952
7
40
temecula ca
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
suprisingly, letters of rec can help out

At the school I am at now, the interviewer was so impressed with one of the rec letters that he read it out and I think that letter is one of the main reasons I got in!

gluck

Omar
 

Mr. Rosewater

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
796
0
erf
Visit site
Status
ahh, although it's not good to have letters of rec that are too good, what will really screw you is having an mcat that is too high. that's obvious proof that you're a cheat.
 

jhk43

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2004
305
0
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Mr. Rosewater
ahh, although it's not good to have letters of rec that are too good, what will really screw you is having an mcat that is too high. that's obvious proof that you're a cheat.
anyone's recommenders make you write your own letter?
 

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
5,470
8
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status
Attending Physician
Originally posted by Mr. Rosewater
ahh, although it's not good to have letters of rec that are too good, what will really screw you is having an mcat that is too high. that's obvious proof that you're a cheat.
:laugh: :laugh:
 

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2001
1,584
9
Visit site
Status
Pre-Medical
Originally posted by Mr. Rosewater
ahh, although it's not good to have letters of rec that are too good, what will really screw you is having an mcat that is too high. that's obvious proof that you're a cheat.
Even though my letter of rec seems really great, I am glad that each and every claim he made is supported by some hard evidence. (ie: transcripts, publications, etc) So hopefully the adcoms can add 1 + 1 together to see that this guy isn't pulling this out the backside:).

But yea, its just worrisome that such a good letter of rec may be looked at in a wrong way. I guess if other letters of rec have the same theme, then that flags the adcom in a good way.

In regards to if anyone (I myself) helped write any letters. Answer is no. My research professor told me to draft any main points I would want him to include though. But ultimately the input I had contributed to 15-20% of the letter. The remaining 80% or so was a culmination of working with him for 4 years, and making a name for myself through publications. All he had to do was write a letter of rec that was about a page and a quarter, then slapped on all of my publications at the end.

Is it just me or as time gets close to applying, one starts to get more paranoid about the strangest things:S
 

Eyesore

Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2003
113
0
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by relentless11
Even though my letter of rec seems really great, I am glad that each and every claim he made is supported by some hard evidence. (ie: transcripts, publications, etc) So hopefully the adcoms can add 1 + 1 together to see that this guy isn't pulling this out the backside:).

But yea, its just worrisome that such a good letter of rec may be looked at in a wrong way. I guess if other letters of rec have the same theme, then that flags the adcom in a good way.

In regards to if anyone (I myself) helped write any letters. Answer is no. My research professor told me to draft any main points I would want him to include though. But ultimately the input I had contributed to 15-20% of the letter. The remaining 80% or so was a culmination of working with him for 4 years, and making a name for myself through publications. All he had to do was write a letter of rec that was about a page and a quarter, then slapped on all of my publications at the end.

Is it just me or as time gets close to applying, one starts to get more paranoid about the strangest things:S
What!!!+pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+ Trying to pat yourself on the back!!! No soup for you!!! Get out of the line!!!
 

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2001
1,584
9
Visit site
Status
Pre-Medical
But i like soup:(

Anyway though, so anyone here have experience with their letters helping htem majorly? Could always use some nice stories:)
 

Wahooali

The Real Sydney Bristow
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
1,318
0
38
a galaxy far far away
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by jhk43
anyone's recommenders make you write your own letter?
jhk43, I had one recommender that made me do that. Now that is an interesting and challenging experience. Oi!
 

mashel

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
6
0
Visit site
Status
Getting a letter with hard evidence supporting the positive comments about the applicant are the best kind, IMO. In my experience applying for residency, interviewers have complimented letters which gave specific examples of things I had done (and they also seem to pick up on the same specific comments over and over). It makes sense - if I were on the adcom, I would give this kind of letter a lot more weight than one which made only vague generalizations.

Would it ever be bad to have such a letter in your package? Well, I suppose if it were inconsistent with your other letters and the rest of your application, then it would just seem like the writer was partial to you and may have been exaggerating some positive comments (so the adcom wouldn't give as much credibility to the writer). In that sense, I agree with one of the above posters who said the adcom can tell if a letter is "authentic".

Otherwise (and especially given that the adcom members are extremely busy people), I think that this type of letter will likely work strongly in your favor by making your application more memorable and more concrete. It's a nice thing to have, and congrats on the work you did to deserve it.
 
About the Ads