Do ADCOMS look at MCAT percentile?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkeymaniac

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If two applicants have very similar applications and have the same MCAT score, would ADCOMS make decision based on the two people's MCAT percentiles?

Members don't see this ad.

Wouldn't the same MCAT score be in the same percentile??? :confused:

Unless the individual scores are different and thus in different percentile per section?

Zuerst said:
Wouldn't the same MCAT score be in the same percentile??? :confused:

Unless the individual scores are different and thus in different percentile per section?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the grading system for the MCAT is based on a curve of sorts.

And yeah, an 10,10,9 looks way better than a 13, 8, 8...especially if the 13 is in verbal and you have bad science grades..that sort of thing....if that's what you mean

Members don't see this ad :)
Zoom-Zoom said:
And yeah, an 10,10,9 looks way better than a 13, 8, 8...especially if the 13 is in verbal and you have bad science grades..that sort of thing....if that's what you mean
Agree with the above.

Unless the OP is talking about a different situation. What if two applicants have the same MCAT scores from different test dates in which the curve is different? That would have different percentiles.

notdeadyet said:
Unless the OP is talking about a different situation. What if two applicants have the same MCAT scores from different test dates in which the curve is different? That would have different percentiles.

While the percentiles may be off by a point or two, it shouldn't be a major difference. The point of standardized testing is that a 10 in August '04 should be about the same difficulty, performance and percentile as a 10 in April '06.

Just a bit of info that I thought I'd throw in:

MCAT percentiles do show up on the version of AMCAS that the adcoms see, but not on the version it lets us download.

Any MCAT score is a function of percentile, having nothing directly to do with your raw score. If a 34 was 80th percentile in April '02, it's also the 80th percentile in August '02,3,4,5 etc.

rcd said:
Any MCAT score is a function of percentile, having nothing directly to do with your raw score. If a 34 was 80th percentile in April '02, it's also the 80th percentile in August '02,3,4,5 etc.

This may have been the case previously but there were some significnat percentile changes for the April 2006 scores, e.g. a 33 was just above the 90th percentile previously and for the April 2006 it is the 85-89th percentile. There were similar issues with many other scores as well. It seems that there were more people that did well this time?

Yeah - I noticed that in past years a 41 was 99.9 but now I think it's 99.7 - which means significantly more people scored in the 40s this time.

I think it's all the SDN people screwing up the scores but that's just a guess. :laugh:

ladybug1 said:
This may have been the case previously but there were some significnat percentile changes for the April 2006 scores, e.g. a 33 was just above the 90th percentile previously and for the April 2006 it is the 85-89th percentile. There were similar issues with many other scores as well. It seems that there were more people that did well this time?

:eek: Never mind my post then, I don't understand the scoring system that much at all.

rcd said:
:eek: Never mind my post then, I don't understand the scoring system that much at all.

anastasis- 41's seem so hard to fathom-aka you're insane.
I mean one of my scores was a 13...but even if i nailed the other sections with 13,13,13 that would only be a 39!!!!! You're like the one from the matrix when it comes to MCAT.

acrobat said:
anastasis- 41's seem so hard to fathom-aka you're insane.
I mean one of my scores was a 13...but even if i nailed the other sections with 13,13,13 that would only be a 39!!!!! You're like the one from the matrix when it comes to MCAT.
lol - Well Pemberly got a 42!! and Q got a 43!! :love: :love:

Bluntman said:
Just a bit of info that I thought I'd throw in:

MCAT percentiles do show up on the version of AMCAS that the adcoms see, but not on the version it lets us download.

Do you know if there is anything else that shows up on the adcoms version of AMCAS that we can't see? (Looks away guiltily) :scared: :laugh:

finch said:
Do you know if there is anything else that shows up on the adcoms version of AMCAS that we can't see? (Looks away guiltily) :scared: :laugh:
Your entire posting history on SDN shows up on the "secret" addendum to your AMCAS application. :D

Haha, yeah you got me :laugh:
However, Im not talking about lying to anybody or falsifying anything in any way (I wouldn't). Im just interested in knowing what criteria will be used against me if I make the decision to apply. (The "looks away guiltily" thing was just sarcasm, not sure if that came through).

Zoom-Zoom said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the grading system for the MCAT is based on a curve of sorts.

It was a 14, 8, 8 in my case and the 14 was in PS. I honestly think it helped me, A LOT. Of course it was all taken in the context of my major (chemical engineering) and classwork (not a single biology class since 8th grade).

Is Q's 43 tied for the record? That's the highest MCAT on mdapps. Any 44's or 45's known to exist? Those kinds of scores make the concept of eugenics a little less disgusting.

thesauce said:
It was a 14, 8, 8 in my case and the 14 was in PS. I honestly think it helped me, A LOT. Of course it was all taken in the context of my major (chemical engineering) and classwork (not a single biology class since 8th grade).
Just a few quick questions:

a) How are you pre-med and not taking any biology classes? AT LEAST 1 full year of biology is a pre-requisite at any medical school, and
b) Why would you take the MCAT without having taken a biology class since 8th grade??