Do Adcoms verify LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaCasta

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not asking cause I plan on being dishonest with my LORs, but if they do actually call the people who write me LORs, then I might be more inclined to choose some professors and doctors who are more outgoing and likeable, rather than others.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i dont think they would verify the letter but that is very dangerous. I mean a lot of pple exxagerate hours but this stuff is beyond the norm

I am not asking cause I plan on being dishonest with my LORs, but if they do actually call the people who write me LORs, then I might be more inclined to choose some professors and doctors who are more outgoing and likeable, rather than others.

Thanks

Last year during an interview, my interviewer got a phone call from some one, all he asked was something along the lines of, "You wrote a LOR for so and so, how do you like that person? Do you think he/she would be a good doctor? Ok thanks"

So, I guess it depends on the school or what not, but looks like they do if they are serious about you.

Members don't see this ad :)
imagine if the professor don't remember you...:eek:
He is like:
" Hmm. really? I guess i wrote a letter for him? "

reminds me of a good buddy who asked our chem prof for a letter to grad school and even though i go to a pretty small school and my buddy was a great student, the prof got confused and wrote a letter about someone else and sent it in. i thought it was funnier than my buddy did.

Thanks

Be dishonest about your ECs, not your LORs.

Thanks

Instead of choosing on the basis of extroversion, consider professors that know you well enough to talk about you fairly easily, whether or not they are terrific talkers. If your physics professor loves you/thinks you're a top-performing student and is willing to write about you...don't discount that because you're anticipating an adcom to *call* them on the phone and he/she has a bad stutter.

Be dishonest about your ECs, not your LORs.

Oh this is stellar advice. Lie on your AMCAS submission, because it's not like it's costing you hundreds and if you're really serious about medicine, it's not the most important document you'll submit. Please, everyone talks up their ECs, but if you're going to have to juggle outrageous lies in the interview, you might as well not apply and save your breath.

Oh this is stellar advice. Lie on your AMCAS submission, because it's not like it's costing you hundreds and if you're really serious about medicine, it's not the most important document you'll submit. Please, everyone talks up their ECs, but if you're going to have to juggle outrageous lies in the interview, you might as well not apply and save your breath.

i think the person was joking. hopefully.

Thanks

My committee staff does verify Letters of Recommendation. It doesn't make any difference whether the letter writer is outgoing or not but the letters are confirmed with the letter writer. In the event, the letter writer is deceased, we verify the letter with the person who assumed the position and verify that the letter writer is indeed deceased.

We verify, not because of lying, but to clarify things that are included in the letter and if there are any updates that the writer would like to include. It's a good idea to include any updates in your thank-you note to your letter writers. We also verify for dates too.

Man, U of Va must not have many applicants. How do they even have time to do that?