do adcoms want personal info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted74029

if you cite extenuating circumstances for a less than stellar semester do the adcoms usually want specifics? i had some serious family issues that i would rather not discuss during the application process but i would like them to be made aware that they did occur...anyone face a similar situation

Members don't see this ad.

if you cite extenuating circumstances for a less than stellar semester do the adcoms usually want specifics? i had some serious family issues that i would rather not discuss during the application process but i would like them to be made aware that they did occur...anyone face a similar situation
Sounds like a Catch-22. Why do you want them to be a secret? Are they embarrassing?

involves more than just myself...it'd be unethical to divulge info that i'm sure others wouldnt want me to tell

Members don't see this ad :)

Most adcoms are pretty understanding about extenuating circumstances and usually won't ask you to divulge specific details. However, they will start wondering what went on that semester and it will reflect badly on you if your overall GPA goes downhill. In other words, they'll worry that you never really recovered from whatever caused your grades to drop and they might assume that you're not ready for medical school. If the extenuating circumstance is really serious, I suggest you seek out your premedical career counselor or your academic advisor and talk to them about taking a semester off to deal with your family issue.

I would suggest calling the admissions office for the specific schools that you are applying and explain to them the situation that you were faced with. Most likely, they will have some kind of case in the past in which they can give their recommendations. In any case, be as forthright as you can be with your situation and they will likely accept it.

Anything on your application can come up in the interview so if you don't want to discuss it, don't put it on the application. On the other hand, it is possible to be vague such that people get the idea without getting the gory details (brother hospitalized with a serious chronic illness = in drug rehab; sister died after a long illness = depression ending in suicide, parents' protracted divorce = we don't need the details).

Don't write a PS that sounds like a country song.