Do all IM residencies have ob/gyn rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shazam1818

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there IM programs without ob/gyn rotations? I haven’t seen any and just curious if it’s a requirement everywhere. Would even more specialized programs like psych have ob/gyn?

Members don't see this ad.

Would even more specialized programs like psych have ob/gyn?
Psychiatry does not require any Ob/Gyn. I can't tell you about any other specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
We do not have an OB/GYN rotation. It's an optional elective for those who are interested and expect an outpatient career, usually focusing on benign gyn issues (i.e. managing OCP's and common GYN complaints). There is no requirement to have one.

Reactions: 3 users
We do not have an OB/GYN rotation. It's an optional elective for those who are interested and expect an outpatient career, usually focusing on benign gyn issues (i.e. managing OCP's and common GYN complaints). There is no requirement to have one.

Thanks for all the responses. Any specific examples?

Are there IM programs without ob/gyn rotations? I haven’t seen any and just curious if it’s a requirement everywhere. Would even more specialized programs like psych have ob/gyn?
What? I have not heard of ANY internal med program with required OB/Gyn rotations, certainly not at any of the 10+ places i interviewed. Would automatically go to bottom of my rank list if I had to do a month on L&D. Maybe you are thinking FM.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for all the responses. Any specific examples?
Specific examples of what?

There is no such thing as an OB/Gyn rotation in IM residency. There are plenty of programs with Women's Health rotations which, as aPD (who is an IM PD) pointed out are usually focused on routine GYN health/complaints and OCP management. Some of them are required (my program had one like this, it was 2 half days a week for a 4 week rotation), others are electives.

What? I have not heard of ANY internal med program with required OB/Gyn rotations, certainly not at any of the 10+ places i interviewed. Would automatically go to bottom of my rank list if I had to do a month on L&D. Maybe you are thinking FM.

Cough... Navy.. cough

The program I'm going to next year has a women's health block intern year. Not a month I'm super excited about, but I figure 50% of my IM patients will have female reproductive organs I need to know about even if I'm not their gynecologist, so it's not a waste of a month.

The program I'm going to next year has a women's health block intern year. Not a month I'm super excited about, but I figure 50% of my IM patients will have female reproductive organs I need to know about even if I'm not their gynecologist, so it's not a waste of a month.
I had a women's health clinic every 5th continuity clinic. It's actually a requirement if your continuity clinic is at the VA, because otherwise you might not make the minimum 20% of your continuity patients being female (the alternative way to do it is to add a second continuity clinic for pgy 2-3, both require various paperwork on the programs part).

*shrug*. Pap smears are one of the only required procedures for IM to actually learn to do (fun fact: central lines? not required. Pap smears? Required), and it's the only way I got my minimum there. Never planning on doing one again though.

Certainly never did an Ob rotation though!

I had a women's health clinic every 5th continuity clinic. It's actually a requirement if your continuity clinic is at the VA, because otherwise you might not make the minimum 20% of your continuity patients being female (the alternative way to do it is to add a second continuity clinic for pgy 2-3, both require various paperwork on the programs part).

*shrug*. Pap smears are one of the only required procedures for IM to actually learn to do (fun fact: central lines? not required. Pap smears? Required), and it's the only way I got my minimum there. Never planning on doing one again though.

Certainly never did an Ob rotation though!
Like peripheral IV placement was a requirement ...who does that as a resident...

Last edited: