You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Do all IM residencies have ob/gyn rotations?
Started by shazam1818
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Psychiatry does not require any Ob/Gyn. I can't tell you about any other specialty.Would even more specialized programs like psych have ob/gyn?
wat
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We do not have an OB/GYN rotation. It's an optional elective for those who are interested and expect an outpatient career, usually focusing on benign gyn issues (i.e. managing OCP's and common GYN complaints). There is no requirement to have one.
We do not have an OB/GYN rotation. It's an optional elective for those who are interested and expect an outpatient career, usually focusing on benign gyn issues (i.e. managing OCP's and common GYN complaints). There is no requirement to have one.
Thanks for all the responses. Any specific examples?
What? I have not heard of ANY internal med program with required OB/Gyn rotations, certainly not at any of the 10+ places i interviewed. Would automatically go to bottom of my rank list if I had to do a month on L&D. Maybe you are thinking FM.Are there IM programs without ob/gyn rotations? I haven’t seen any and just curious if it’s a requirement everywhere. Would even more specialized programs like psych have ob/gyn?
Specific examples of what?Thanks for all the responses. Any specific examples?
There is no such thing as an OB/Gyn rotation in IM residency. There are plenty of programs with Women's Health rotations which, as aPD (who is an IM PD) pointed out are usually focused on routine GYN health/complaints and OCP management. Some of them are required (my program had one like this, it was 2 half days a week for a 4 week rotation), others are electives.
If you are a resident, why don't you know this?
Is it possible you checked the wrong status?
Is it possible you checked the wrong status?
What? I have not heard of ANY internal med program with required OB/Gyn rotations, certainly not at any of the 10+ places i interviewed. Would automatically go to bottom of my rank list if I had to do a month on L&D. Maybe you are thinking FM.
Cough... Navy.. cough
The program I'm going to next year has a women's health block intern year. Not a month I'm super excited about, but I figure 50% of my IM patients will have female reproductive organs I need to know about even if I'm not their gynecologist, so it's not a waste of a month.
Really? Ugh.Cough... Navy.. cough
I had a women's health clinic every 5th continuity clinic. It's actually a requirement if your continuity clinic is at the VA, because otherwise you might not make the minimum 20% of your continuity patients being female (the alternative way to do it is to add a second continuity clinic for pgy 2-3, both require various paperwork on the programs part).The program I'm going to next year has a women's health block intern year. Not a month I'm super excited about, but I figure 50% of my IM patients will have female reproductive organs I need to know about even if I'm not their gynecologist, so it's not a waste of a month.
*shrug*. Pap smears are one of the only required procedures for IM to actually learn to do (fun fact: central lines? not required. Pap smears? Required), and it's the only way I got my minimum there. Never planning on doing one again though.
Certainly never did an Ob rotation though!
Like peripheral IV placement was a requirement ...who does that as a resident...I had a women's health clinic every 5th continuity clinic. It's actually a requirement if your continuity clinic is at the VA, because otherwise you might not make the minimum 20% of your continuity patients being female (the alternative way to do it is to add a second continuity clinic for pgy 2-3, both require various paperwork on the programs part).
*shrug*. Pap smears are one of the only required procedures for IM to actually learn to do (fun fact: central lines? not required. Pap smears? Required), and it's the only way I got my minimum there. Never planning on doing one again though.
Certainly never did an Ob rotation though!
Last edited:
Like peripheral IV placement was a requirement ...how does that as a resident...
Do residency in NYC and you'll do every single one!
Like peripheral IV placement was a requirement ...how does that as a resident...
The nurses don't pester you to try an ultrasound guided iv?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I'm putting in an ultrasound guided IV, it's going in the neck or the groin.The nurses don't pester you to try an ultrasound guided iv?
Do residency in NYC and you'll do every single one!
that was one of the reasons that the NYC programs I had on my ROL, so many moons ago, were in the double digits of my ROL.
Really? Ugh.
It's only 2 weeks. I'm sure you'll live and it will (hopefully) be helpful during your GMO time.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 33
- Views
- 4K