Do Alumni affect applicant status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jagreenb

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My father is an alumni of Tufts dental, I was wondering if that would have any effect on my chances of being accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Of course! EVERY school in the country (whether undergrad or graduate, regardless of field) always tends to look more favorable upon applicants whose parents are alumni of the school. Why? Well, one factor is that schools like families with a "lineage" at their institution as the thinking is that such individuals will be more likely to contriubte money to the school as an alum, as they'll feel a stronger, 'familial' tie....

So, yes, having a parent whose an alum Will help, but only assuming that you already have the basic qualities their looking for in applicants....That is, if you're much less than avg. it won't help but if you're avg./slightly above avg., it will...exactly how it'll help usually varies inversely relative to how competitive a school it is....for a very competitive school, it'll help a little bit, while for a not so competitive one it may seal the deal....

oops..."they're looking for," not "their"....

still anal, and still waiting... :cool: