Do American med schools accept Canadian college students?

nerv12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I've given it some thought about going abroad now and I'm just trying to expand my options here. If I go to a college here in Ontario and apply to a US med school, would they accept my college pre requisites? I know Canadian med schools require you to have a university degree but what about med schools in the US?

Need some info regarding this....thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Forgot to add...if so does it have to be an accredited school by the place or as long as you meet the pre requisite requirements, you're fine.

Generally, getting into a U.S med school without a green card or citizenship is like trying to get laid with Taylor Swift on a $10 dinner. The applicants have to have high GPA, stellar MCAT and excellent ECs. But it's certainly doable.
What you need to do is always stay top on the game.

This list shows you a list of med schools that accept Canadians. Good luck !

http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19065

Members don't see this ad :)
American medical schools require a degree. I would bet that Canadian undergrad is looked at just like an American undergrad institution, however MOST American state funded medical schools do not accept international students while private American medical schools do.

Well my question is still unanswered.....after reading threads here I see the some people say they went to med school after college...how did they manage that if they didn't get a university degree?

Well my question is still unanswered.....after reading threads here I see the some people say they went to med school after college...how did they manage that if they didn't get a university degree?

To obtain a bachelor degree, you need go school for 4 years. You apply med schools during the 3rd and 4th year. And then you walk into a med school and start to pimp yourself with a white coat.

lol stop responding if you don't know! I already know the university route. I want to know why some people claim that they went to med school after college? How did they manage doing that? Did they take the pre-requisites in college or did they actually go to a university after community college.

lol stop responding if you don't know! I already know the university route. I want to know why some people claim that they went to med school after college? How did they manage doing that? Did they take the pre-requisites in college or did they actually go to a university after community college.

WTF. College and university are basically the same thing. You can't go into a med school with completing an associate degree at community college.

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

In Canada and the UK, "college" is different from "university."

In the US, "college" and "university" mean the same thing.

@OP: You must go to a University to go to med school because you need a bachelor's degree which you get at Uni.

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

@OP: You must go to a University to go to med school because you need a bachelor's degree which you get at Uni.

Interesting, I live in Canada and the people use college and university interchangeably.

What we have here is failure to communicate.

fixed. I thought Canadian mschools where pretty good. Why do you want to come to America for mschool?

Not necessarily true. There are 4-year, bachelors degree-granting schools in the U.S. with "college" in their names. Examples: Oberlin College, Boston College, Dartmouth College, the College of William & Mary.

Not necessarily true. There are 4-year, bachelors degree-granting schools in the U.S. with "college" in their names. Examples: Oberlin College, Boston College, Dartmouth College, the College of William & Mary.

I'm talking from a Canadian standpoint

I'm still confused about why the call a university a college in the states? Then there's a college and a community college. Why do people go to college and THEN transfer to a university in the states? We just apply to a university right after high school in Canada...that's if we have the marks. Although, I don't know of anyone in my graduating class that is not going to a university...

I'm still confused about why the call a university a college in the states? Then there's a college and a community college. Why do people go to college and THEN transfer to a university in the states? We just apply to a university right after high school in Canada...that's if we have the marks. Although, I don't know of anyone in my graduating class that is not going to a university...

Well, speaking of B.C, people go to college and they can still receive a B.S degree.

Also, they transfer from a college to university.

Do you know where B.C is and our capital ? It's not Vancouver. It's Victoria.

Come to B.C for college or university, Ontario is too cold.

Last edited: