DO and Ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Docsted

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice on the possibility of becoming a DO Ophthalmologist? I know there are some DO Ophtho residencies nationwide (16? or so).

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, get into medical school first.

I have that covered Triage. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOl triage... Sound advice.

OP, yeah there are some ophtho residencies out there. The DO I shadowed is an ophtho, granted he graduated from medschool like 40 years ago, so times were different then. But ya, it's possible. I'm sort of considering it too!

ROAD specialty so ACGME spots will be real tight. Kill the step one, honor your rotations and you should be okay, provided you interview well. Research couldn't hurt either.

Any advice on the possibility of becoming a DO Ophthalmologist? I know there are some DO Ophtho residencies nationwide (16? or so).

I don't think ACGME ophtho is super-DO unfriendly. It's not super-friendly either. I think the reason you see few DOs entering optho is because few DOs gun for it. I don't know of anyone in my class trying to do optho.

Just make sure you do research your first and second year and/or do a research project at some eye-institute during the summer of your first year. Try to publish something and present it at some conference. Take the USMLE and do well on it, and make contacts early on. Ophthalmogy is a small field and a good letter of rec can go a long way. Basically, just do what you're suppose to do, hah.

When applying for residency, Step 1 scores, research, grades and LoR are all that matter. Volunteering and being the president of some student club do not really matter.

Kill step 1, do away rotations at places that have taken DO residents, have a backup plan.

I know 3 DO's who are ophthalmologists, if that means anything.

You should shoot for DO spots, meaning do your audition rotations at osteopathic programs and ideally go to a school that is affiliated with a DO residency in Optho.

So basically I'm planning on attending AZCOM unless an MD school that I have my fingers crossed for gives me an offer. Any battle plans for AZCOM?

So basically I'm planning on attending AZCOM unless an MD school that I have my fingers crossed for gives me an offer. Any battle plans for AZCOM?

AZCOM matchlists have been pretty solid these past few years. You should be ok.