DO and surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwaranch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My ultimate goal at this point is orthopedic surgery. If I have both MD and DO acceptances would I be putting myself at a disadvantage if I took the DO route?

Members don't see this ad.

The general consensus around here would be that yes, if you are wanting ortho, you would be at a disadvantage going to a DO school. Does that mean impossible? Of course not...but if you had the choice, I would go MD if ortho is where you want to be. MD schools are more focused and have more opportunities for research, which seems to be a requirement for getting into ortho residencies. However, how do you have MD and DO acceptances when you are taking the MCAT in April of this year? I am kind've thinking you are just trying to stir people up....

haha no i wasnt meaning i already have acceptances ill be applying to both md and do this year and im thinking ahead to if that situation comes up because i really like kcumb and am a missouri resident. But obviously i will go wherever i have the best chance of success.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh sorry, didn't see the "if". Sorry for thinking you were a troll! Anyway, I hope my answer helped!:oops:

I think you already know the answer to the question you asked man. Personally, I think it might be a little easier if you go to an MD school due to easier access to rotational sites (could be wrong). If ortho is your goal and you won't be happy with anything else, just go MD if you can. From reading these threads, you gotta be top of the top of DO applicants to go DO ortho since there are so few spots. Then again, if you can't be top of the top for DO, it's gonna be hard to be top of the top for MD ortho too.

Last edited:
I have another question and this is awhile off but do you know if certain residency programs give preference to applicants from their medical school? For example I saw kcumb has 17 orthopedic spots would going to kcumb increase my chances of being accepted into that?

I think there are different hurdles for whichever route you choose. MD ortho is much more numbers based just like admission to medschool. AOA, research, top board scores are going to open or close many residency doors. However, there are many more residencies available. Research is much more emphasized during residency because many of the programs are located at large academic institutions. DO ortho comes down to one big factor. Did you rotate through their program and did you come across as a team player. Some PDs will be forgiving of a slightly lower board score, but if you don't rotate it won't matter. Almost every program has made up their mind and told their candidates who they're going to take well in advance of the official match, which is why rotating is so important.

For DO...aim for good grades yrs 1,2, >= 550 Step I and II, pick 2 or 3 places you feel you'd like to do residency and do a full month rotation 4th yr during Sept, Oct, Nov...work hard, get lors, follow-up with the PDs by going back for a day here or there so they remember you.

Get these books: Handbook of Fractures, Hoppenfeld's examination of spine and extremities, Netter's concise orthopaedic anatomy.

Ortho is definitely challenging to obtain, but don't let people psyche you out before you even start playing the game. I like DO ortho better, just because you have omm training for your future patients. Certain schools do show preference. Millcreek wants LECOM grads, and from what I hear PCOM likes PCOM grads.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. MD schools have easier access to rotation sites???

First of all, it depends on the school. Older schools, like PCOM, probably has more connections than a lot of newer MD schools out there.

I chose PCOM over the other schools because I knew it had a good reputation in PA, NJ, DE. We just did our 3rd year rotation matrix. I got Lehigh Valley, Geisinger, Lankenau, etc. Those are top hospitals in the country and I didn't have to work my ass off to get those rotation sites. They are provided to us. A lot of people pick hospitals in Philly because they want to stay here. Not a problem for me, because I would rather go to "better" hospitals even if they are in the boonies. That's just my lifestyle.

Really, if you want ortho, it doesn't matter if your MD or DO. You still need to work your ass off and pray. There are several AOA Ortho spots out there. I think several in PCOM.

I got Lehigh Valley, Geisinger, Lankenau, etc. Those are top hospitals in the country and I didn't have to work my ass off to get those rotation sites.

Lehigh Valley and Lankenau are "top hospitals in the country?" In what specialties and by whom are they considered "top hospitals?"

In 2010, there were 85 AOA orthro spots and 656 ACGME ortho spots. The DO class of 2010 had 3845 graduates and the US MD class had 16,070 US MD graduates. 3 DOs matched ACGME ortho that year. So about 4% of MDs and 2% of DOs will be orthopods.

I think there are different hurdles for whichever route you choose. MD ortho is much more numbers based just like admission to medschool. AOA, research, top board scores are going to open or close many residency doors. However, there are many more residencies available. Research is much more emphasized during residency because many of the programs are located at large academic institutions. DO ortho comes down to one big factor. Did you rotate through their program and did you come across as a team player. Some PDs will be forgiving of a slightly lower board score, but if you don't rotate it won't matter. Almost every program has made up their mind and told their candidates who they're going to take well in advance of the official match, which is why rotating is so important.

For DO...aim for good grades yrs 1,2, >= 550 Step I and II, pick 2 or 3 places you feel you'd like to do residency and do a full month rotation 4th yr during Sept, Oct, Nov...work hard, get lors, follow-up with the PDs by going back for a day here or there so they remember you.

Get these books: Handbook of Fractures, Hoppenfeld's examination of spine and extremities, Netter's concise orthopaedic anatomy.

Ortho is definitely challenging to obtain, but don't let people psyche you out before you even start playing the game. I like DO ortho better, just because you have omm training for your future patients. Certain schools do show preference. Millcreek wants LECOM grads, and from what I hear PCOM likes PCOM grads.

Did you end up getting a spot? I know the match is in 10 days or so but most of the ortho gunners in the DO match already know where they are going