DO as a Dermatologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've met DO derm residents, and I remember seeing DO dermatologists in insurance provider directories.
(e.g. random Google pick:
http://www.austinregionalclinic.com/find_a_doctor/specialty/dermatology/shwol_huo_danny_kiang/)
I've been told that the deciding factor is the reputation of your school and the strength of your LORs (the recs must be highly enthusiastic from practicing dermatologists) - so it boils down to networking (high scores are a given).
Addendum - More local derms I didn't know existed:
http://www.premierdermatologyfw.com/about/
http://www.mytotalskincare.com/meet-physicians.htm
http://www.tarrantdermatology.com/
http://www.skinlasercare.com/welcome/cothern.asp

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
does anyone have a rough idea which programs require a FM/IM residency prior to derm?

does anyone have a rough idea which programs require a FM/IM residency prior to derm?

There's a similar thread going on in the Osteopathic section; you might want to check that thread out and post this question there since they probably know more about it.

Members don't see this ad :)

1) Might be a good idea to make a separate topic
2) Might be a better idea to ask this on the osteopathic threads, as opposed to pre osteo. Some of them are going though this process right now.

Having said that, generally there is no defined program for such actions.
From what I've read, it goes something like this... you apply to a Derma residency. They say "We'll give it to you, after completing our FM residency"- you complete that, and then start derma. There's nothing on AOA's residency match site that has FM/Derma under one category.

Hope that helped a bit

Well SJEH is a FM/Derm combo.

You match into FM, but prior to the match the program director contacts you and you have one of these conversations where there are many winks and implications and a handshake at the end when you both agree to rank "FM" high at SJEH. Basically youre told to read between the lines that, barring a f**k up, you will be matched into derm in three years when FM is over.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'll post this in the other forum as well.

But in response to that .... darn. To make an already exhausting process even more tiring, but it is what it is huh? It's amazing the extent residency programs are able to exploit students determination to match!

After reading countless Pre-med threads on SDN over the years, the number of students wanting to go into derm is just plain silly. These threads pop up over and over. Really, like are you that interested in the integumentray system that you've decided 4+ years prior to residency. I personally find skin histology, physiology, pathology, pharmocology to be the most boring and unnatractive of all the organ systems. The daily practical application of a derm practice is also really unappealing but then again that's just me.

If one really has a genuine interest to become a dermatologist as a DO, I see no reason why they can't. You really don't need a 600+ comlex as evidenced by the report which came out this year. Just be prepared to network with the right people, attend AOCD conferences and be pro-active about things.

After reading countless Pre-med threads on SDN over the years, the number of students wanting to go into derm is just plain silly. These threads pop up over and over. Really, like are you that interested in the integumentray system that you've decided 4+ years prior to residency.
OK. So I'm assuming that there's no particular field you're interested in at this point.

I personally find skin histology, physiology, pathology, pharmocology to be the most boring and unnatractive of all the organ systems.
Considering the fact that you have yet to even start medical school, chances are you know almost nothing, if not nothing at all, about the histology, physiology, pathology, and pharmacology of the skin.

OK. So I'm assuming that there's no particular field you're interested in at this point.

Considering the fact that you have yet to even start medical school, chances are you know almost nothing, if not nothing at all, about the histology, physiology, pathology, and pharmacology of the skin.

boom! headshot

boom! headshot

78_boom-headshot.gif

btw: this guy has some serious integument issues

Yes you're right. I am not interested in a particular field. In fact I am quite open to several specialties. I am not naive enough to settle down on one specific specialty at all at this time in my career.

I've taken Histology, Physiology, and Pathology-all system based classes. In all those classes, the integumentary system has been has not been particularly interesting to me. Don't have too much knowledge on the pharma side of things besides for shadowing experience........

Btw that decapitating stuff is uncalled for DocE, it's more of a low blow. You could have went with something more unassuming like you usually do.. ..

Last edited:
Btw that decapitating stuff is uncalled for DocE, it's more of a low blow. You could have went with something more unassuming like you usually do.. ..

Read enough of my posts and you'll realize there is never a time i pass up using the image from scanners. It is my favorite gif of all time. I'll even use it as a reaction image. probably gets posted once a month by me. This was my march quota.

Its less a commentary on you and much more that I saw an opportunity laid out infront of me for the scanners image.

Members don't see this ad :)
Read enough of my posts and you'll realize there is never a time i pass up using the image from scanners. It is my favorite gif of all time. I'll even use it as a reaction image. probably gets posted once a month by me. This was my march quota.

Its less a commentary on you and much more that I saw an opportunity laid out infront of me for the scanners image.

Its cool, I know that you're in WW/Skyrim mode these days from your threads back out in the lounge ha ha.

But yeah, it does bug me sometimes when Pre-meds get hyped up on residencies like derm well before they ever set foot in med school for all the wrong reasons.

polka-good luck with your residency search (as an OMS2 i think). I posted some info back in the Osteopathic forums. check the AOCD website as well for more info. One of the docs I shadowed is on their board..

Yes you're right. I am not interested in a particular field. In fact I am quite open to several specialties. I am not naive enough to settle down on one specific specialty at all at this time in my career.
Good for you. I doubt any of the premeds asking questions about derm, or any other particular specialty they happen to be interested in, have "settled down" on a career choice this early on.

Also, there's nothing more amusing than one premed calling out another premed for alleged naivete.

I've taken Histology, Physiology, and Pathology-all system based classes. In all those classes, the integumentary system has been has not been particularly interesting to me. Don't have too much knowledge on the pharma side of things besides for shadowing experience....
You're talking about your premed courses, right?

So like I said, you know almost nothing about the histology, physiology, and pathology of the skin, and absolutely nothing about the pharmacology.

Good for you. I doubt any of the premeds asking questions about derm, or any other particular specialty they happen to be interested in, have "settled down" on a career choice this early on.

You haven't been on these forums too long then.

Also, there's nothing more amusing than one premed calling out another premed for alleged naivete.

Glad you're enjoying things around here.

You're talking about your premed courses, right?

So like I said, you know almost nothing about the histology, physiology, and pathology of the skin, and absolutely nothing about the pharmacology

Wow someone is sitting high on a pedestal, even as a "resident". So going through lectures by the same Professors and reading the same textbooks and atlas indexes that the medical school affiliated with my undergrad maintains leaves me with absolutely no knowledge about the skin. That is just absurd. I may not have the same level of aptitude as a first or second year student at this time, yet I wouldn't go as far to say I know nothing about the skin.

:thumbdown: this is pointless

Last edited:
a student from CCOM matched at Cleveland Clinic the other year as well. :) Although they may represent a minority, they are inspirational nonetheless.

She completed a residency in Family Medicine, then went on to pursue Derm.

I think that makes her a bit of an outlier, don't you? She represents the minority of a minority.
Residency - Nova Southeastern University/North Broward Hospital District Dermatology
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
2007 Residency - Nova Southeastern University/Palmetto General Hospital Family Practice
Hialeah, FL
2003 I don't think she's a resident there

This is for the physician via the link but I was referring to a 4th year that graduated the other year (2010). Both of which are still minorities.

She completed a residency in Family Medicine, then went on to pursue Derm.

I think that makes her a bit of an outlier, don't you? She represents the minority of a minority.
Residency - Nova Southeastern University/North Broward Hospital District Dermatology
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
2007 Residency - Nova Southeastern University/Palmetto General Hospital Family Practice
Hialeah, FL
2003 I don't think she's a resident there

http://opportunities.osteopathic.or...essionid=f030430d99e2da37b24e1b2018c123d45571
What about all these? What's wrong with doing one of them?

Since the thread is just about being a "Dermatologist" and not about placing into one of the most prestigious programs in the nation, why not take a stab at AOA residencies. Why does everyone act as though they simply don't exist? Everyone keeps bringing up hospitals that the vast majority of all new medical doctors won't be able to attain.

http://opportunities.osteopathic.or...essionid=f030430d99e2da37b24e1b2018c123d45571

Since the thread is just about being a "Dermatologist" and not about placing into one of the most prestigious programs in the nation, why not take a stab at AOA residencies. Why does everyone act as though they simply don't exist? Everyone keeps bringing up hospitals that the vast majority of all new medical doctors won't be able to attain.

I personally never considered AOA derm because you match as a pgy1. That uncertainty isn't worth it to me. Additionally, some of the aoa derm residencies are unfunded, but that wouldn't bother me too much.

quite honestly, I am willing to go anywhere. But like someone mentioned, it's the uncertainty up until intern year and the fact that you go uncompensated during residency (not to mention the possibility of having to complete a family residency prior to the derm one..) which puts a damper in the whole situation.

quite honestly, I am willing to go anywhere. But like someone mentioned, it's the uncertainty up until intern year and the fact that you go uncompensated during residency (not to mention the possibility of having to complete a family residency prior to the derm one..) which puts a damper in the whole situation.

Well, at least you'd be able to moonlight as a FP while doing your derm residency, right?

That's not correct. The AOA salaries are available, they look pretty run of the mill.