DO chances at pathology w/Step 1 failure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

banabread16

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the best thread for this so apologies if it is not. I am a 3rd year DO student who passed COMLEX 1 but did not pass Step1. Pretty much feels like a worse case scenario. No other issues during preclinicals and doing well on my clinical rotations so far. Grew up in the Tristate Area and currently on the West Coast. Geographically I hoping to match in these areas even though I know chances are slim. I'm hoping to match in pathology with IM and EM being backup.

Is there a chance of me matching path? Should I retake Step 1? I know the damage is already done so I am unsure as to how much benefit a pass would provide at this point.

Appreciate any of you thank take the time to respon to this. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

there’s a pathology forum we could move your question to if you want.

Questions I would have area:

was pathology what you wantedto do?
did you do path rotations?

there’s a pathology forum we could move your question to if you want.

Questions I would have area:

was pathology what you wantedto do?
did you do path rotations?
Thank you I'll post this there as well. I have only been on core rotations since June. I haven't had an elective rotation yet but have a forensic pathology rotation for my first elective next month.

Throughout the preclinical years I was DR vs IR vs path and know the other two are out. I'm okay with pursuing pathology with interest in tranfusion or fornesics right now

Is pathology something you're actually interested in, or just settling for based on the Step 1 failure? I have a buddy who failed Step 1 but passed COMLEX 1, he otherwise had a mediocre application. Nothing great, nothing bad. He matched FM no problem. This was east coast. I'd highly recommend prioritizing your specialty and the long term career path rather than settling for a specialty you don't like just to stay on the west coast for your 3 year training period. You can do a LOT with FM training once you leave residency. Doesn't have to be seeing 0-100 year old patients 9-5 for the rest of your life.

Is pathology something you're actually interested in, or just settling for based on the Step 1 failure? I have a buddy who failed Step 1 but passed COMLEX 1, he otherwise had a mediocre application. Nothing great, nothing bad. He matched FM no problem. This was east coast. I'd highly recommend prioritizing your specialty and the long term career path rather than settling for a specialty you don't like just to stay on the west coast for your 3 year training period. You can do a LOT with FM training once you leave residency. Doesn't have to be seeing 0-100 year old patients 9-5 for the rest of your life.
I am generally intereted in pathology. I enjoy the visual aspect of it. Working on pathology questions were some of my favorite parts of the preclinical ciriculum. I like the ideal of being able to work collabortively with other physcians to determine a daignosis and management from the anatomical side. I also like what the clinical side has to offer: lab managment or blood transfusions(which still gives clinical time with patients). I am in the 7 out my 8 week FM rotation right now and I haven't enjoyed any of it. I dont enjoying talking to patients(although I am good at it) and managing chronic disease. I would much rather be working on the diagnostic side of patient care or as a back up doing hospitalist or doing EM and helping to manage acute care issues.

I am generally intereted in pathology. I enjoy the visual aspect of it. Working on pathology questions were some of my favorite parts of the preclinical ciriculum. I like the ideal of being able to work collabortively with other physcians to determine a daignosis and management from the anatomical side. I also like what the clinical side has to offer: lab managment or blood transfusions(which still gives clinical time with patients). I am in the 7 out my 8 week FM rotation right now and I haven't enjoyed any of it. I dont enjoying talking to patients(although I am good at it) and managing chronic disease. I would much rather be working on the diagnostic side of patient care or as a back up doing hospitalist or doing EM and helping to manage acute care issues.
Got it. I'd say about half of the residents in my FM program went into hospitalist gigs. They didn't enjoy chronic disease management either.

We will see what others say, but Path is not very competitive. I expect you'd be able to apply with COMLEX only. I can't speak to the competitiveness of Cali programs, but there are plenty in the tristate.

Reactions: 2 users
As a DO student you are not required to submit a USMLE transcript. So do not retake, just submit COMLEX, and nobody should know about the Step 1 failure.

Reactions: 1 users
As a DO student you are not required to submit a USMLE transcript. So do not retake, just submit COMLEX, and nobody should know about the Step 1 failure.
I've heard this a lot but I've also had admin tell me that if i dont tell a program I failed and they find out they can kick me out

I’m not sure how they would find out, or why they would care since you would be a fully licensed DO
Definitely makes sense. Would there be any benefit to me at a USMILE re-take or is it just a waste of money and time at this point

Definitely makes sense. Would there be any benefit to me at a USMILE re-take or is it just a waste of money and time at this point
I think there's only potential downside for you on that front. Focus your time and energy on your rotations and Level 2.

Reactions: 3 users
No, they can't. As long as they didn't ask. if they ask you as part of the interview process, then you can't lie.
So bascially apply to DO friendly programs that have accepted comlex in the past should be a safe route.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe they wont. But if they ever did, he/she could be fired on the spot. Not worth it IMHO.

No one is going to ask, so it's somewhat moot.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe they wont. But if they ever did, he/she could be fired on the spot. Not worth it IMHO.

No one is going to ask, so it's somewhat moot
This really is what im scared of. I would not want to be dishonest during interview season but I know im in a rock and hard place as well.

Reactions: 1 user
This really is what im scared of. I would not want to be dishonest during interview season but I know im in a rock and hard place as well.
Nobody would have any reason to ask. I wouldn’t touch the USMLE again. Perform as well as you can on level 2.