DO DO Chances with Unbalanced MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dohopeful13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
-Removed-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are competitive for all DO schools with your stats. Apply to at least 10 schools and you should receive several interviews. Where is your state of residence?

Reactions: 1 users
You are competitive for all DO schools with your stats. Apply to at least 10 schools and you should receive several interviews. Where is your state of residence?

-

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you again for the advice. I definitely plan to give UT and ETSU a look because you never know, but I'm glad to hear I have a good shot at DO.

I'm looking for some advice regarding my chances at a DO program for the 18-19 cycle. I graduated in May with a 3.69 cumulative GPA and a 3.5 science GPA, which I believe is competitive. EC-wise, I have 250 hospital volunteer hours, 50 shadowing (non-DO but still searching), 1 semester of research (nothing noteworthy), 1 year as a pharmacy technician, 1+ year's experience as a unit clerk, and I'm about to begin a scribe job shortly. I took the MCAT this fall and received a 504 (124/131/125/124) that is pretty unbalanced with a great CARS disappointing everything else. I'd rather not take the exam again but would certainly do so if needed. I just wanted to get a realistic idea of my chances without a retake and which schools to target.

Hey fam. Since you have some time before next cycle, you could squeeze some more points out of that mcat pretty easy. Specifically the psych section. With your obvious CARS abilities, and 20 hours of memorizing terms from the reddit khan academy psyc/soc notes you could easily hit 129. Couple that with a bit more time in the sciences and boom, you're in prime territory for a wide swath of MD schools and every DO school.

Hey fam. Since you have some time before next cycle, you could squeeze some more points out of that mcat pretty easy. Specifically the psych section. With your obvious CARS abilities, and 20 hours of memorizing terms from the reddit khan academy psyc/soc notes you could easily hit 129. Couple that with a bit more time in the sciences and boom, you're in prime territory for a wide swath of MD schools and every DO school.

Yeah, I definitely see a lot of room for improvement (I wasn't the most effective studier) provided I can repeat my CARS success. It's just so hard to motivate myself to do this again. :( I was actually a bit blindsided at my psych/soc score since I was averaging 126/7 on the practice exams. I think a 509 could be obtainable if I really went all out.

Yeah, I definitely see a lot of room for improvement (I wasn't the most effective studier) provided I can repeat my CARS success. It's just so hard to motivate myself to do this again. :( I was actually a bit blindsided at my psych/soc score since I was averaging 126/7 on the practice exams. I think a 509 could be obtainable if I really went all out.
I'm just saying your cars skills should translate super well to psych. Insert matthew mcconaughey/wolf of wall street meme: you gotta pump those numbers up. After that, you should be able to carve a couple science points out. The points on the inside of the bell curve should be lowest hanging fruit, no?