Do chromatids separate @ metaphase or anaphase?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njohns24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ok so I've noticed some discrepancy related to this question in various resources. I think the "technical" answer is probably that they actually SEPARATE at metaphase, as Cliff's AP bio says the separation of chromatids marks the end of metaphase. However, a very truthful answer in my opinion is that they separate in anaphase, more of a "big picture" type answer. So if this were to come up blatantly, what do you all think is the most accurate answer the dat is looking for?

ie a possible example of this would be: how many chromatids are there in a dividing daughter cell at the end of metaphase. the "technical" answer would give 1/2n, whereas the "big picture" answer would give n.
Thoughts?

Anaphase, depending on whether youre talking about mitosis or meiosis. For meiosis, from 2n(tetrad) to n(chromosome) to n(chromatid). For mitosis, 2n(chromosome) to 2n(chromosome). I dont think half n is possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chromatids don't separate. A single chromosome can separate into two chromatids.

In mitosis, 46 chromosomes separate at Anaphase to form 92 chromatids (46 chromatids go to one daughter cell, and the other 46 chromatids go to the other daughter cell).
In meiosis 2, there are two daughter cells. In each daughter cell, 23 chromosomes separate at Anaphase to form 46 pairs of chromatids (23 chromatids go to one daughter cell, and the other 23 chromatids go to the other daughter cell).

Hope this helps. If you need additional help, YouTube Cell Division...or Mitosis...or Meiosis. This should reinforce the concepts!

It's Anaphase for sure. The moment the separation occurs is the moment Anaphase commences.

Thus, the chromosome number would still be 2n at the end of Metaphase and of course, 1n at the end of Anaphase.

Chromatids don't separate. A single chromosome can separate into two chromatids.

In mitosis, 46 chromosomes separate at Anaphase to form 92 chromatids (46 chromatids go to one daughter cell, and the other 46 chromatids go to the other daughter cell).
In meiosis 2, there are two daughter cells. In each daughter cell, 23 chromosomes separate at Anaphase to form 46 pairs of chromatids (23 chromatids go to one daughter cell, and the other 23 chromatids go to the other daughter cell).

Hope this helps. If you need additional help, YouTube Cell Division...or Mitosis...or Meiosis. This should reinforce the concepts!

Why are they called sister chromatids if they are no longer attached to each other?